Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   My absolute new FAVORITE SNACK!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805082-my-absolute-new-favorite-snack.html)

marieze 05-30-2013 09:09 AM

My absolute new FAVORITE SNACK!!!

I was looking for a cheese sauce recipe in our recipe room and found a recipe that I modified for myself....so flexible you can do anything to it....It's so easy I'm almost embarrassed to post it:o

I took 1/4 cup of hwc and put it in a small pot on the stove. To that, you take 4 to 5 pieces of the Kraft Deli Deluxe slices and break them into small pieces and let them dissolve in the hwc. The original recipe called for 1/2 and 1/2 but I don't use that. Anyway, I added a big tbl. of salsa to that and some cracked black pepper and it made somewhat of a nacho sauce. Dipped my hazelnut crackers into. I was in heaven.

I'm going to make a double batch today and put some fire roasted diced green chiles in it and some cayenne pepper and another tbl. of salsa.

While eating it I asked myself if this would do the trick if people around me were eating nachos or even just fritos and salsa....and the answer was yes! I would have liked this even more!!!!

There is no thickener required and after being in the refrigerator overnight and nuked the next day it was really thick and even better:jumpjoy:

You will not be disappointed and I look forward to hearing about YOUR variations!!

Beth2013 05-30-2013 09:44 AM

Holy cow! Did you use sharp cheddar? We've never used sliced cheese, but I just looked it up and was amazed to see '0' carbs!

What a great LC snack idea!!!

Dottie 05-30-2013 09:49 AM

Don't be fooled by the zero. Each slice is just under 1g carbs, so 5 slices would count at around 4 - 4.5g.

rosethorns 05-30-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth2013 (Post 16447081)
Holy cow! Did you use sharp cheddar? We've never used sliced cheese, but I just looked it up and was amazed to see '0' carbs!

What a great LC snack idea!!!

Beth you have never taken a slice of American deluxe cheese and made crackers.
Take a slice of cheese and cut into 16 pieces microwave until melted, let cool , eat. YUM!!

I make taco shells and salad shells along these same lines.

marieze 05-30-2013 09:58 AM

I always count each slice of cheese as 1 carb! Even still..I plan accordingly and ate it till my hearts content ;)

It wasn't sharp cheese as I don't believe the Deli Deluxe comes as a sharp, but I could certainly be wrong anout that!

All I can say is yum:yummy:

Beth2013 05-30-2013 10:18 AM

Rosethorns - never tried that, but now I feel I've been missing out lol. I'll try it when I get the slices to make this cheese sauce.

I can see this drizzled on vegetables or even on meats for added yumminess and variety! (Ooooh...cheeseburgers)!!

Dottie: Thanks for the heads up on the carbs. My high carb cheese sauces included a roux, so way worse lol.

marieze 05-30-2013 11:13 AM

And don't forget to count the carbs in your cream as well! But it is great not having to use a thickener as sometimes they either alter the taste or texture....slimy:sick:

Deb34 05-30-2013 11:18 AM

thanks for reminding me about this...I had forgotten.. so easy.

Tweaker Geek 05-30-2013 06:41 PM

Sounds good to me! I make dorito type chip with low carb pita bread, this would make a great dip for them, I will have to try it soon.

Barbo 05-30-2013 10:44 PM

TWEAKER

Please tell us how to make Dorito type chips.

Mistizoom 05-31-2013 06:26 PM

This sounds really good. I'm going to look for the Kraft Deli Deluxe cheese. Is there a recipe for the hazelnut crackers somewhere?

Tweaker Geek 06-01-2013 07:30 PM

Barbo - I just use Joseph's low carb pita bread. I leave the pieces whole, I brush the tops with olive oil then sprinkle with garlic pepper, and/or taco seasoning or nacho cheese seasoning. Then cut into triangles with a pizza cutter. Bake in 325 degree oven 8-10 mins. till golden and crispy. They are very similar to doritos (as I remember doritos anyway). Cool on wire rack several hours or overnight to retain crispness. I store mine in a plastic container with screw-on lid, they stay crispy for a long time. When I want chips or something crunchy with a sandwich these really do the trick. I only eat 5-6 triangles at a time so the carbs are really low.

TxHomeGirl 06-05-2013 06:10 PM

Pita Doritos

What a great idea, will give it a try!

Mistizoom 06-07-2013 07:12 PM

I am making this this weekend! I bought the Kraft Deli Deluxe slices and got the hazelnut flour for the crackers from Netrition. I think I will make both for lunch tomorrow.

marieze 06-08-2013 03:09 PM

Be sure to tell me how theyboth turn out!

Mistizoom 06-08-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16461839)
Be sure to tell me how theyboth turn out!

I made the cheese sauce for lunch but ran out of time to make the crackers. But the cheese sauce was AWESOME. I dipped pork rinds in it and that was my lunch! It is so easy to make and tastes so good. I am also going to use it without the salsa as a cheese sauce for green beans and broccoli. Would love to hear other variations. Thank you so much - this recipe is a definite keeper!

lonestarstamper 06-08-2013 10:47 PM

marieze....how do you make your hazlenut crackers?

Mistizoom 06-09-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestarstamper (Post 16462190)
marieze....how do you make your hazlenut crackers?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...hopefully.html

Beth2013 06-11-2013 07:56 AM

Is everyone using the slices for the dip?

I found an 8 oz. brick of American cheese at my grocers. It was half the price of the package of individual slices, yet the ingredients were pretty much the same.

I haven't bought any yet, but just curious if the single slices are more expensive because of the convenience?

marieze 06-11-2013 09:13 AM

I'm the original poster and when I found the recipe it was very specific about it being the Deli Deluxe. That said....it didn't have a comparison of ingredients, so if you're saying the cheese you found is identical, I'd try it.....just know that it seemed very specific to the Deli Deluxe:dunno:

Beth2013 06-11-2013 09:56 AM

Thank you so much, Marieze. When the time comes, I'll probably try it with the cheaper brick and when I do, I'll let y'all know how it worked...or didn't work lol.