Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Can't get my crackers crispy...HELP!

Hi Everyone!

As I posted a few weeks ago, I have been making crackers with Hazelnut Flour which are fantastic and very similar to Almond Thins. I prefer these and eat them regularly.

The ingredients are hazelnut flour, egg whites, parmeason cheese and seasonings.

Just like when I was making almond thins, I roll this dough out paper thin, score the crackers and bake. They are baked at 275 degrees for about 1/2 hour and in trying to get them crispier either turn down the oven to 150 and let them stay in for another 1/2hour or turn the oven off completely and spend an additional hour or so.

Even as thin as they are, they are just not "snap" crisp. Any suggestions from the mavens???

Thanks!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Mark from the daily apples place says his nut-flour crackers are crispy, but he includes an egg and 2 tbsp. of oil and bakes them at a higher temp. (350, I believe).

Another girl uses a baking stone.

Still another uses lard in her crackers (claimed they're extra crispy).

(The last two probably wouldn't matter with nut-flours, though).

I wonder if the addition of some ground pork rinds would make a difference? I ground a bag last night to do some experiments with. I might try it with your crackers (need to get the hazelnut flour first).
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Well, this is just my opinion, but I think the reason LC breads don't get real "toasty" and LC crackers don't ever get saltine "crispy" is because it is the gluten in wheat flour that creates that toastiness and crispiness we like. We can come close by overbrowning, just short of burning IMO to achieve CLOSE to toasty/crispy Nirvana. But I just don't think we'll ever get saltine-grade crispy and stay true to low-carb and avoid wheat. I'm convinced it is the gluten (or something found in wheat) that facilitates "crispy". Why else would every single low-carb recipe, no matter WHAT flour subs or cooking methods we try, never get crispy? It's the one common thread in all our cracker/bread recipes......no wheat. I just have learned to live with "sort of toasty" and "sort of crispy", because I'm just not willing to reintroduce the element that will probably crisp things right up.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-30-2013 at 10:41 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I make the almond thins recipe that's in the Stickies at the top of this page and they are always crispy - bake at 325* for about 10 minutes, then I take off the outside ones that are browning already and let the rest go another minute or two.

Try to roll them out as thinly as possible without being able to see the parchment paper underneath!

I don't put Parm in those though - just almond meal, eggwhite, salt....
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Wow...so,e good information...these sucker are so thin they are almost translucent! I think you might be onto something Buttoni....I wonder if a tad bit of olive oil will do it...the hazelnut flour is even more expensive than almond flour/meal I hate to ruin a batch to experiment.

One of my friends suggested turning on the broiler for a minute on low...

I so appreciate your feedback...nice job ladies!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Hi Everyone!

As I posted a few weeks ago, I have been making crackers with Hazelnut Flour which are fantastic and very similar to Almond Thins. I prefer these and eat them regularly.

The ingredients are hazelnut flour, egg whites, parmeason cheese and seasonings.

Just like when I was making almond thins, I roll this dough out paper thin, score the crackers and bake. They are baked at 275 degrees for about 1/2 hour and in trying to get them crispier either turn down the oven to 150 and let them stay in for another 1/2hour or turn the oven off completely and spend an additional hour or so.

Even as thin as they are, they are just not "snap" crisp. Any suggestions from the mavens???

Thanks!

Marieze
Marieze take your temp up to 350 and it should take 10 to 12 minutes and you will get crispy crackers. I always have crispy crackers.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I wonder if a little baking soda would help. I tends to make cookies crisp...as opposed to baking powder that tends to make them soft.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Maybe it's the high amount of fat in the nut flours?? My chia/flax crackers are always crispy....no nut flours/nuts in them. Just a thought
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote