Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Can't get my crackers crispy...HELP! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805081-cant-get-my-crackers-crispy-help.html)

marieze 05-30-2013 08:57 AM

Can't get my crackers crispy...HELP!

Hi Everyone!

As I posted a few weeks ago, I have been making crackers with Hazelnut Flour which are fantastic and very similar to Almond Thins. I prefer these and eat them regularly.

The ingredients are hazelnut flour, egg whites, parmeason cheese and seasonings.

Just like when I was making almond thins, I roll this dough out paper thin, score the crackers and bake. They are baked at 275 degrees for about 1/2 hour and in trying to get them crispier either turn down the oven to 150 and let them stay in for another 1/2hour or turn the oven off completely and spend an additional hour or so.

Even as thin as they are, they are just not "snap" crisp. :cry: Any suggestions from the mavens???

Thanks!

Marieze

Beth2013 05-30-2013 10:23 AM

Mark from the daily apples place says his nut-flour crackers are crispy, but he includes an egg and 2 tbsp. of oil and bakes them at a higher temp. (350, I believe).

Another girl uses a baking stone.

Still another uses lard in her crackers (claimed they're extra crispy).

(The last two probably wouldn't matter with nut-flours, though).

I wonder if the addition of some ground pork rinds would make a difference? I ground a bag last night to do some experiments with. I might try it with your crackers (need to get the hazelnut flour first).

buttoni 05-30-2013 10:40 AM

Well, this is just my opinion, but I think the reason LC breads don't get real "toasty" and LC crackers don't ever get saltine "crispy" is because it is the gluten in wheat flour that creates that toastiness and crispiness we like. We can come close by overbrowning, just short of burning IMO to achieve CLOSE to toasty/crispy Nirvana. But I just don't think we'll ever get saltine-grade crispy and stay true to low-carb and avoid wheat. I'm convinced it is the gluten (or something found in wheat) that facilitates "crispy". Why else would every single low-carb recipe, no matter WHAT flour subs or cooking methods we try, never get crispy? It's the one common thread in all our cracker/bread recipes......no wheat. I just have learned to live with "sort of toasty" and "sort of crispy", because I'm just not willing to reintroduce the element that will probably crisp things right up. :)

Charski 05-30-2013 10:52 AM

I make the almond thins recipe that's in the Stickies at the top of this page and they are always crispy - bake at 325* for about 10 minutes, then I take off the outside ones that are browning already and let the rest go another minute or two.

Try to roll them out as thinly as possible without being able to see the parchment paper underneath!

I don't put Parm in those though - just almond meal, eggwhite, salt....

marieze 05-30-2013 11:10 AM

Wow...so,e good information...these sucker are so thin they are almost translucent! I think you might be onto something Buttoni....I wonder if a tad bit of olive oil will do it...the hazelnut flour is even more expensive than almond flour/meal I hate to ruin a batch to experiment.

One of my friends suggested turning on the broiler for a minute on low...

I so appreciate your feedback...nice job ladies!

rosethorns 05-30-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16447016)
Hi Everyone!

As I posted a few weeks ago, I have been making crackers with Hazelnut Flour which are fantastic and very similar to Almond Thins. I prefer these and eat them regularly.

The ingredients are hazelnut flour, egg whites, parmeason cheese and seasonings.

Just like when I was making almond thins, I roll this dough out paper thin, score the crackers and bake. They are baked at 275 degrees for about 1/2 hour and in trying to get them crispier either turn down the oven to 150 and let them stay in for another 1/2hour or turn the oven off completely and spend an additional hour or so.

Even as thin as they are, they are just not "snap" crisp. :cry: Any suggestions from the mavens???

Thanks!

Marieze

Marieze take your temp up to 350 and it should take 10 to 12 minutes and you will get crispy crackers. I always have crispy crackers.

ladeeda 05-30-2013 11:25 AM

I wonder if a little baking soda would help. I tends to make cookies crisp...as opposed to baking powder that tends to make them soft.

tofucheez 05-30-2013 04:20 PM

Maybe it's the high amount of fat in the nut flours?? My chia/flax crackers are always crispy....no nut flours/nuts in them. Just a thought :)