Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Has anyone used truvia? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/805017-has-anyone-used-truvia.html)

SkeeterN 05-29-2013 12:16 PM

Has anyone used truvia?

I usually seriously seriously hate the taste of stevia. To me it is so bitter? But does truvia mask the bitterness of truvia. I know that some have no issues with stevia and wish I wasn't too chicken to try a different kind but every kind I have purchased so far has been far from sweet.

I would like to try and bake with it as it is always easy to find.

solarpluvia 05-29-2013 12:44 PM

Truvie uses a very refined stevia extract (rebiana IRC) to punch up erythritol. They also add a flavoring. I am a stevia bitter supertaster and have had no such problem with Truvia. Just make sure that you pay attention to the measurements, because in the bulk jar, a bit over 1 tsp is equal to a 1 tablespoon of sugar. And the erythritol doesn't melt the way sugar does. Ok in a hot beverage, won't melt in a fat bomb. Also, like many others I've found that stevia glycerite doesn't have a bitter taste, but I'd never use it to sweeten something by itself.

I've recently tried some Just Like Sugar and have been very happy with it for baking. Expensive, but mixing it with ezsweets works really well.

Barbo 05-29-2013 01:46 PM

Truvia

I use it and like it.
Not in my coffee though, it takes too much of the product.

I've just finished making shortcakes with it and they came
out great. I use it in my almond milk.

I say try it and see.

tofucheez 05-29-2013 04:45 PM

Ilike it, too. but, like Barbo, I don't find it sweet enough to use in coffee. I do enjoy the "grainy" texture on cold cereal or on biscuits or off the spoon. :)

Charski 05-29-2013 06:15 PM

I like it fine for sweetening some things but for baking, yeah, agree with Barbo and others.

I DO like the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend in the 3.5 oz. plastic bottle though. To ME it is not at all bitter, and I've tried every dang form of stevia (except the glycerite) that I could find. The No Carbs blend does have erythritol in it.

pocahontas 05-29-2013 07:36 PM

I also love it for baking and believe it or not, it sweetens plain greek yogurt wonderfully too. I stick to Splenda for my coffee though, always have.

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 09:04 PM

Yes, I like it but I prefer to make my own. I think it tastes better/cleaner than Truvia. I got the recipe from the Healthy Indulgences blog. Just mix 1 cup erythritol with 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract (no fillers). I use NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract Powder.

SkeeterN 05-30-2013 05:53 AM

I love Ideal but the only place I can find it is Meijers which the closest store is over 40 minutes from me down the interstate. I seriously worry that they will stop carrying it. Doesn't sound like I would be too happy with truvia comparatively speaking. Since truvia has erythritol does the issue with melting the same with Swerve?

Smiles 06-05-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16446679)
I love Ideal but the only place I can find it is Meijers which the closest store is over 40 minutes from me down the interstate. I seriously worry that they will stop carrying it. Doesn't sound like I would be too happy with truvia comparatively speaking. Since truvia has erythritol does the issue with melting the same with Swerve?

Skeeter,

I am pretty sure that Netrition carries Ideal. Put 'ideal' into their search engine and you'll see what I mean. I hope that that will work if your store stops carrying it. :)

Tracy

SkeeterN 06-05-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16455851)
Skeeter,

I am pretty sure that Netrition carries Ideal. Put 'ideal' into their search engine and you'll see what I mean. I hope that that will work if your store stops carrying it. :)

Tracy

I know they do and I am thankful for it. I bought 2 bags recently. I will order if I have too.