Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
LindaSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 130
Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Low carbing my favorite cherry pie - help please!

Cherry pie has been my very favorite pie since I was a child, and I really want to be able to make a healthy version so I can once again endulge (big birthday headed my way...) And I need some help from the expert bakers here.

Here's the recipe in the form I received it from my brother, who got it from my mother (with my explanations in parentheses):

One double crust (my mother's pie crust recipe)
2 1/2 Tbsp minute tapioca
1 cup white sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups drained tart cherries (canned, packed in water)
1 cup cherry juice (the cherry-stained water, from the can)
1 Tbsp melted butter

Make crust and lay bottom crust in pie pan. Mix ingredients 2-6 together, (it didn't say whether to heat this first -- I assume not) pour into crust and let sit for 15 minutes. Top with butter. Lattice the top crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and 350 degrees for 30 minutes

For the crust, I plan to make Kevinpa's recipe, which I've made several times and works out very well. For the sugar, I plan to use powdered erythritol and stevia to equal 1 cup sugar.

I can't change the cherries. I don't think I can change the cherry juice/water.

I would like to replace the tapioca with an LC thickener, but I'm not sure what to use to get that glistening, wiggly consistency. I just ordered some Dixie Diner Thick it Up and am considering using that. Thoughts? If that's a good sub, how much should I use? I have guar gum, xanthan gum and gluccomannan on hand too, but those I'm not sure about for a pie like this.

Finally: The temperature seems a bit high for a Carbalose-based crust. I fear it would burn. Should I lower it, and if so, what do you think would work? Or should I just cover the crust until the end?

Thanks all!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,512
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I make my own cherry pie filling for chocolate cherry trifle. First I drain the cherries and boil down the juice to 1/2 its volume. You will need less thickener that way. Then I sprinkle on glucomannan or xanthan and stir until I get the thickness I like. Then I add the cherries back in. I always add food coloring, because this is usually for guests. And the more it looks like regular high carb, the better they like it. I often make the filling a week ahead of time, so the coloring works in better. I don't know if this will work for a pie. In a trifle, it does not matter if it is liquidy.
I agree with you about the temperature. I would try 350 and keep an eye on it. The cherries are essentially cooked, so you are only tying to set the filling and cook the crust.
You could try a little gelatin to set the filling, not enough to make jello, but enough to lessen the amount of thickener you would have to use.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I make my own cherry pie filling for chocolate cherry trifle. First I drain the cherries and boil down the juice to 1/2 its volume. You will need less thickener that way. Then I sprinkle on glucomannan or xanthan and stir until I get the thickness I like. Then I add the cherries back in. I always add food coloring, because this is usually for guests. And the more it looks like regular high carb, the better they like it. I often make the filling a week ahead of time, so the coloring works in better. I don't know if this will work for a pie. In a trifle, it does not matter if it is liquidy.
I agree with you about the temperature. I would try 350 and keep an eye on it. The cherries are essentially cooked, so you are only tying to set the filling and cook the crust.
You could try a little gelatin to set the filling, not enough to make jello, but enough to lessen the amount of thickener you would have to use.
Hi Soobee,

What kind of crust do you use? I avoid wheat, so Carbalose, Crabquik, etc are out for me. I'd love your feedback. Your cherry pie sounds good.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,512
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't make cherry pie. The last pie I made was raspberry chiffon. I use the BTF bake mix, which has no wheat. It comes out more like a cookie dough.
Fantastic Flour Mix x 4 Ouizoid
½ cup oat fiber
½ cup coconut flour
¼ cup pea protein
¼ cup egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. glucomannan
¼ cup erythritol, optional
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I don't make cherry pie. The last pie I made was raspberry chiffon. I use the BTF bake mix, which has no wheat. It comes out more like a cookie dough.
Fantastic Flour Mix x 4 Ouizoid
½ cup oat fiber
½ cup coconut flour
¼ cup pea protein
¼ cup egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. glucomannan
¼ cup erythritol, optional
Thanks, Soobee

Is that egg white protein powder or something else? Would Deb El Just Whites work?

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 05-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: added question
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I made my first cherry pie in 20 years. I used the BTF mix for my crust.

Now I can't ( allergic) to oat fiber.I use a nut crust now. It's not making me happy .
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I made my first cherry pie in 20 years. I used the BTF mix for my crust.

Now I can't ( allergic) to oat fiber.I use a nut crust now. It's not making me happy .
Esther, can you do almond flour instead of oat fiber? Or just increase the coconut flour. Of course, you'd have to increase the liquid then, as I understand it. Or here's another thought: you could sub protein powder for the oat fiber.

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 05-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: added a thought
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
Esther, can you do almond flour instead of oat fiber? Or just increase the coconut flour. Of course, you'd have to increase the liquid then, as I understand it. Or here's another thought: you could sub protein powder for the oat fiber.

Tracy
I have been thinking about how I can change it . Thanks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,512
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Tracy, I use egg white protein powder. Deb El Just Whites would also work.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,071
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Linda Cherry Pie

Linda, these are fabulous. Everyone on this board who made them
will testify to their deliciousness.

Char's Cherry Danish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are sooo good. We just ate one warm from the oven

Cherry Danish LC
Char's
*Use Parchment inside muffin top pans
Dry ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 tsp. Xanthan powder
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4-cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Wet Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil
1/4 cup sugar free vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping:
1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heavy cream to thin for spreading

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells. Place parchment inside pans.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2-cup glass measure till well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 *muffin top pan wells. Top each with about 3-4 cherries, leaving starchy stuff behind.

Bake at 350* 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling.
To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

**I am not certain who originated the recipe, but Char did the
cherry one. Someone else used a few unsweetened apple slices.

Only thing I do differently is sweeten them more and I don't use
the starchy stuff from the cherries. I also put a bit of almond
extract into the cherry filling.
__________________
BARBOS LOWCARB kITCHEN
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Tracy, I use egg white protein powder. Deb El Just Whites would also work.
Thanks, Soobee

What would the main difference be between the Deb El and the egg protein powder as far as application in baking?

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Linda, these are fabulous. Everyone on this board who made them
will testify to their deliciousness.

Char's Cherry Danish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are sooo good. We just ate one warm from the oven

Cherry Danish LC
Char's
*Use Parchment inside muffin top pans
Dry ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 tsp. Xanthan powder
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4-cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Wet Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil
1/4 cup sugar free vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping:
1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heavy cream to thin for spreading

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells. Place parchment inside pans.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2-cup glass measure till well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 *muffin top pan wells. Top each with about 3-4 cherries, leaving starchy stuff behind.

Bake at 350* 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling.
To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

**I am not certain who originated the recipe, but Char did the
cherry one. Someone else used a few unsweetened apple slices.

Only thing I do differently is sweeten them more and I don't use
the starchy stuff from the cherries. I also put a bit of almond
extract into the cherry filling.
Hi Barb,

I avoid wheat so I need a sub for VWG. Know of any?

Also I don't have the NuNaturals or the Xanthan powder (I have Xanthan Gum though). Do you know of any subs for these too?

Thank you

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
LindaSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 130
Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Soobee, thanks for the tips. How can you gauge the right thickness of the filling if it also sets in the oven?

Barbo, the cherry Danish recipe sounds fabulous. Will have to add that to my baking to do list (which is quite lengthy, given that I'm a novice baker to begin with). Thank you!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,512
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
No difference between egg white protein powder (mine is just dehydrated egg whites) and Deb El as far as I know. As I said, I have not made cherry pie so I can't help you with the thickness.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
No difference between egg white protein powder (mine is just dehydrated egg whites) and Deb El as far as I know. As I said, I have not made cherry pie so I can't help you with the thickness.
Thanks once again, Soobee

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,071
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
That Xanthan powder could be a typo. Does anyone else have Char's recipe and
would be willing to check it out?

Bob's Red Mill
Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods. It is made from a tiny microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris and is a natural carbohydrate. Xanthan Gum helps replace the gluten in a recipe and aid in binding and thickening recipes. It is an essential ingredient in gluten free baking.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
That Xanthan powder could be a typo. Does anyone else have Char's recipe and
would be willing to check it out?

Bob's Red Mill
Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods. It is made from a tiny microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris and is a natural carbohydrate. Xanthan Gum helps replace the gluten in a recipe and aid in binding and thickening recipes. It is an essential ingredient in gluten free baking.
Barbo it has to do with explaining that you do without glucomannan. I think.

Here is her recipe.

This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!
__________________
______________________________
Esther

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Barbo it has to do with explaining that you do without glucomannan. I think.

Here is her recipe.

This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!
Esther,

Do you know of a sub for the VWG please? I avoid wheat.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.