Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low carbing my favorite cherry pie - help please! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804911-low-carbing-my-favorite-cherry-pie-help-please.html)

LindaSL 05-27-2013 09:16 PM

Low carbing my favorite cherry pie - help please!
 
Cherry pie has been my very favorite pie since I was a child, and I really want to be able to make a healthy version so I can once again endulge (big birthday headed my way...) And I need some help from the expert bakers here.

Here's the recipe in the form I received it from my brother, who got it from my mother (with my explanations in parentheses):

One double crust (my mother's pie crust recipe)
2 1/2 Tbsp minute tapioca
1 cup white sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups drained tart cherries (canned, packed in water)
1 cup cherry juice (the cherry-stained water, from the can)
1 Tbsp melted butter

Make crust and lay bottom crust in pie pan. Mix ingredients 2-6 together, (it didn't say whether to heat this first -- I assume not) pour into crust and let sit for 15 minutes. Top with butter. Lattice the top crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and 350 degrees for 30 minutes

For the crust, I plan to make Kevinpa's recipe, which I've made several times and works out very well. For the sugar, I plan to use powdered erythritol and stevia to equal 1 cup sugar.

I can't change the cherries. I don't think I can change the cherry juice/water.

I would like to replace the tapioca with an LC thickener, but I'm not sure what to use to get that glistening, wiggly consistency. I just ordered some Dixie Diner Thick it Up and am considering using that. Thoughts? If that's a good sub, how much should I use? I have guar gum, xanthan gum and gluccomannan on hand too, but those I'm not sure about for a pie like this.

Finally: The temperature seems a bit high for a Carbalose-based crust. I fear it would burn. Should I lower it, and if so, what do you think would work? Or should I just cover the crust until the end?

Thanks all!

Soobee 05-28-2013 05:20 AM

I make my own cherry pie filling for chocolate cherry trifle. First I drain the cherries and boil down the juice to 1/2 its volume. You will need less thickener that way. Then I sprinkle on glucomannan or xanthan and stir until I get the thickness I like. Then I add the cherries back in. I always add food coloring, because this is usually for guests. And the more it looks like regular high carb, the better they like it. I often make the filling a week ahead of time, so the coloring works in better. I don't know if this will work for a pie. In a trifle, it does not matter if it is liquidy.
I agree with you about the temperature. I would try 350 and keep an eye on it. The cherries are essentially cooked, so you are only tying to set the filling and cook the crust.
You could try a little gelatin to set the filling, not enough to make jello, but enough to lessen the amount of thickener you would have to use.

Smiles 05-28-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16443359)
I make my own cherry pie filling for chocolate cherry trifle. First I drain the cherries and boil down the juice to 1/2 its volume. You will need less thickener that way. Then I sprinkle on glucomannan or xanthan and stir until I get the thickness I like. Then I add the cherries back in. I always add food coloring, because this is usually for guests. And the more it looks like regular high carb, the better they like it. I often make the filling a week ahead of time, so the coloring works in better. I don't know if this will work for a pie. In a trifle, it does not matter if it is liquidy.
I agree with you about the temperature. I would try 350 and keep an eye on it. The cherries are essentially cooked, so you are only tying to set the filling and cook the crust.
You could try a little gelatin to set the filling, not enough to make jello, but enough to lessen the amount of thickener you would have to use.

Hi Soobee,

What kind of crust do you use? I avoid wheat, so Carbalose, Crabquik, etc are out for me. I'd love your feedback. Your cherry pie sounds good.

Tracy

Soobee 05-28-2013 12:07 PM

I don't make cherry pie. The last pie I made was raspberry chiffon. I use the BTF bake mix, which has no wheat. It comes out more like a cookie dough.
Fantastic Flour Mix x 4 Ouizoid
cup oat fiber
cup coconut flour
cup pea protein
cup egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. glucomannan
cup erythritol, optional

Smiles 05-28-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16443943)
I don't make cherry pie. The last pie I made was raspberry chiffon. I use the BTF bake mix, which has no wheat. It comes out more like a cookie dough.
Fantastic Flour Mix x 4 Ouizoid
cup oat fiber
cup coconut flour
cup pea protein
cup egg white powder
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. glucomannan
cup erythritol, optional

Thanks, Soobee :hugs:

Is that egg white protein powder or something else? Would Deb El Just Whites work?

Tracy

rosethorns 05-28-2013 01:28 PM

I made my first cherry pie in 20 years. I used the BTF mix for my crust.

Now I can't ( allergic) to oat fiber.I use a nut crust now. It's not making me happy .

Smiles 05-28-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16444042)
I made my first cherry pie in 20 years. I used the BTF mix for my crust.

Now I can't ( allergic) to oat fiber.I use a nut crust now. It's not making me happy .

Esther, can you do almond flour instead of oat fiber? Or just increase the coconut flour. Of course, you'd have to increase the liquid then, as I understand it. Or here's another thought: you could sub protein powder for the oat fiber.

Tracy

rosethorns 05-28-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16444048)
Esther, can you do almond flour instead of oat fiber? Or just increase the coconut flour. Of course, you'd have to increase the liquid then, as I understand it. Or here's another thought: you could sub protein powder for the oat fiber.

Tracy

I have been thinking about how I can change it . Thanks.

Soobee 05-28-2013 04:08 PM

Tracy, I use egg white protein powder. Deb El Just Whites would also work.

Barbo 05-28-2013 04:41 PM

Linda Cherry Pie
 
Linda, these are fabulous. Everyone on this board who made them
will testify to their deliciousness.

Char's Cherry Danish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are sooo good. We just ate one warm from the oven

Cherry Danish LC
Char's
*Use Parchment inside muffin top pans
Dry ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 tsp. Xanthan powder
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4-cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Wet Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil
1/4 cup sugar free vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping:
1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heavy cream to thin for spreading

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells. Place parchment inside pans.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2-cup glass measure till well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 *muffin top pan wells. Top each with about 3-4 cherries, leaving starchy stuff behind.

Bake at 350* 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling.
To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

**I am not certain who originated the recipe, but Char did the
cherry one. Someone else used a few unsweetened apple slices.

Only thing I do differently is sweeten them more and I don't use
the starchy stuff from the cherries. I also put a bit of almond
extract into the cherry filling.

Smiles 05-28-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16444232)
Tracy, I use egg white protein powder. Deb El Just Whites would also work.

Thanks, Soobee :)

What would the main difference be between the Deb El and the egg protein powder as far as application in baking?

Tracy

Smiles 05-28-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16444289)
Linda, these are fabulous. Everyone on this board who made them
will testify to their deliciousness.

Char's Cherry Danish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are sooo good. We just ate one warm from the oven

Cherry Danish LC
Char's
*Use Parchment inside muffin top pans
Dry ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
1 tsp. Xanthan powder
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4-cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Wet Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil
1/4 cup sugar free vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping:
1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heavy cream to thin for spreading

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells. Place parchment inside pans.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2-cup glass measure till well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 *muffin top pan wells. Top each with about 3-4 cherries, leaving starchy stuff behind.

Bake at 350* 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling.
To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

**I am not certain who originated the recipe, but Char did the
cherry one. Someone else used a few unsweetened apple slices.

Only thing I do differently is sweeten them more and I don't use
the starchy stuff from the cherries. I also put a bit of almond
extract into the cherry filling.

Hi Barb,

I avoid wheat so I need a sub for VWG. Know of any?

Also I don't have the NuNaturals or the Xanthan powder (I have Xanthan Gum though). Do you know of any subs for these too?

Thank you :)

Tracy

LindaSL 05-28-2013 10:40 PM

Soobee, thanks for the tips. How can you gauge the right thickness of the filling if it also sets in the oven?

Barbo, the cherry Danish recipe sounds fabulous. Will have to add that to my baking to do list (which is quite lengthy, given that I'm a novice baker to begin with). Thank you!

Soobee 05-29-2013 03:24 AM

No difference between egg white protein powder (mine is just dehydrated egg whites) and Deb El as far as I know. As I said, I have not made cherry pie so I can't help you with the thickness.

Smiles 05-29-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16444755)
No difference between egg white protein powder (mine is just dehydrated egg whites) and Deb El as far as I know. As I said, I have not made cherry pie so I can't help you with the thickness.

Thanks once again, Soobee :)

Tracy

Barbo 05-29-2013 01:50 PM

That Xanthan powder could be a typo. Does anyone else have Char's recipe and
would be willing to check it out?

Bob's Red Mill
Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods. It is made from a tiny microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris and is a natural carbohydrate. Xanthan Gum helps replace the gluten in a recipe and aid in binding and thickening recipes. It is an essential ingredient in gluten free baking.

rosethorns 05-29-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16445826)
That Xanthan powder could be a typo. Does anyone else have Char's recipe and
would be willing to check it out?

Bob's Red Mill
Xanthan Gum
Xanthan Gum is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods. It is made from a tiny microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris and is a natural carbohydrate. Xanthan Gum helps replace the gluten in a recipe and aid in binding and thickening recipes. It is an essential ingredient in gluten free baking.

Barbo it has to do with explaining that you do without glucomannan. I think.

Here is her recipe.

This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!

Smiles 05-29-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16445903)
Barbo it has to do with explaining that you do without glucomannan. I think.

Here is her recipe.

This is an adaptation of a Cinnamon Roll recipe that Barbo sent me - it may well have originated on this forum, not sure to whom to credit it! Anyway I doubled and tweaked and came up with this one:

Cherry Danish

Dry ingredients

1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cup Designer Whey plain or vanilla protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder (or just use 1 tsp. xanthan gum total and delete glu powder)
1/4 tsp. NuNaturals NuStevia 0 Carb stevia powder
1/4 cup Diabetisweet brown sugar substitute
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually use Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend)

Wet Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light oil - I use rice bran oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup sugarfree Torani or DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Topping

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling

Icing

4 oz. softened cream cheese
Sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough heavy cream to thin to a squeezable consistency

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*. Spray or grease 12 muffin top pan wells.

Stir all dry ingredients except cheese together in a medium bowl; once well-combined, stir in the cheese.

Mix all wet ingredients together in a 2 cup glass measure til well blended. Mix dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, scraping sides and bottom of bolw, and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 muffin top pan wells. Spread to fill the pan wells. Top each with about a heaping teaspoon of the cherry pie filling - I leave some of the gloppy stuff behind and try to concentrate on getting 3 or 4 cherries on each Danish.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, til the batter is set and turning golden brown.

Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a rack to finish cooling. I find a plastic spatula helps get them out of the pans - loosen around the edges first, then run spatula gently under the Danish.

To ice - beat together the softened cream cheese, sweetener, vanilla, and enough cream to make an icing consistency. You don't want it too runny but not so thick that you can't pipe it out either. Spoon into a sandwich baggie, snip off a TINY corner, twist the icing down into the bottom of the baggie and pipe onto the Danish.

Makes 12.

You could use no sugar added pie filling in whatever flavors you like. I have some apple, which I'll try next, and some peach too. They're not easy to find but I got the cherry and apple at WalMart, their Good Value brand, and the peach from Netrition, I believe it's Steel's brand.

I'm also gonna try this with some SF jam, thinned out with a bit of water, one time soon!

Esther,

Do you know of a sub for the VWG please? I avoid wheat.

Tracy


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.