Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   jaccard meat tenderizer (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804883-jaccard-meat-tenderizer.html)

dianafoot 05-27-2013 12:54 PM

jaccard meat tenderizer

Has anyone ever tried one of those Jaccard meat tenderizer thingies with 45 little blades to pierce your meat with before cooking? Wanting to know if it's worth getting.

rosethorns 05-27-2013 02:38 PM

I had to go check and see what mine was called. Yes I think they are worth it.
Mine is a Kitchen Mate. I love that thing.

I also use it to get my chicken where I can pound it thin.

sligh 05-27-2013 04:21 PM

I use it on pork chops and I think it makes a big difference.

Ozcook 05-27-2013 06:31 PM

Tender touch

Yep, I use the Jaccard. I find it works better on tougher cuts than cuts that are fairly tender to start with. For example, lamb backstraps should be tender. Sometimes they are not, but the jaccard helps.

Beware that you need to keep the jaccard VERY clean or you will be pushing bacteria into your meat. That won't matter if you like you steak well done, but if you like it rare, you could be taking a risk.

dianafoot 05-27-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozcook (Post 16443026)
Yep, I use the Jaccard. I find it works better on tougher cuts than cuts that are fairly tender to start with. For example, lamb backstraps should be tender. Sometimes they are not, but the jaccard helps.

Beware that you need to keep the jaccard VERY clean or you will be pushing bacteria into your meat. That won't matter if you like you steak well done, but if you like it rare, you could be taking a risk.

oddly, I read about it on Consumer's Reports, who warned about undercooking grocery store meats, especially steaks, if they were treated with a Jaccard. I grew so interested in the process that I investigated it. None of the many many websites I visited had warnings. Is that a real threat?

sherrymyra 05-27-2013 08:13 PM

I have a similar item. Not sure on the brand. It is a bugger to clean.

Ozcook 05-27-2013 08:54 PM

Jaccard + Bacteria

The subject is dealt with in Modernist Cuisine. There is also a discussion in their forum. Do a google search for "modernist cuisine jaccard".

I find that carefully placing it in the dishwasher to that it remains vertical during the cycle does a good job of cleaning. I also clean at 60C.

I do not regret buying it, but if I had the choice I would buy the one with the removable blades.

Charski 05-28-2013 01:56 PM

I have one, have had it for YEARS and have never had a problem with it from a sanitation standpoint. I just press the bar at the bottom to the top, run it under hot water, use a kitchen brush with dishsoap to wash all the blades, then release the bar and do it again, all over with the brush. Rinse well and let air-dry before replacing the cover.

I also now have Star San sanitizer in a squirt bottle on the kitchen counter - we use it for our beer brewing, because sanitation there is REALLY important - and I find it useful for sanitizing sponges and other hard to clean items - next time I use the Jaccard, I'll spray it well with the Star San and let it dry.

Star San is a food-grade acid sanitizer that can be left on items without any harm to the item itself or the food you're using the item in/on.

dianafoot 05-28-2013 04:41 PM

Charski, Beer brewing--wow, you do a little bit of everything! My son tried to brew some beer once, but it exploded in the closet.

Charski 05-29-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16444288)
Charski, Beer brewing--wow, you do a little bit of everything! My son tried to brew some beer once, but it exploded in the closet.

LOL! Ooops, I bet THAT was a mess!

It's actually not difficult, it just takes some time and space. We're on our 4th batch now and loving it. It's like a science project and an endless source of entertainment around here! :)

dianafoot 06-13-2013 12:12 PM

This just in--got my Jaccard blade tenderizer last week, and WOW! It makes a world of difference in cooking meat. So far I have tenderized split chicken breasts before putting them on the grill, thick pork chops prior to searing and braising, and a chuck roast for pot roast. Everything has come out so tender and delicious.

It's not too hard to clean, either, just use a little soapy brush under running hot water to scrub. After that I put it in a small container with a little bit of bleach and hot soapy water to soak, then put it in the dishwasher. Probably overkill, but I don't mind. It is so worth having!

Charski 06-13-2013 12:14 PM

Aren't they great? Glad you like it! :up:

rosethorns 06-13-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16469064)
This just in--got my Jaccard blade tenderizer last week, and WOW! It makes a world of difference in cooking meat. So far I have tenderized split chicken breasts before putting them on the grill, thick pork chops prior to searing and braising, and a chuck roast for pot roast. Everything has come out so tender and delicious.

It's not too hard to clean, either, just use a little soapy brush under running hot water to scrub. After that I put it in a small container with a little bit of bleach and hot soapy water to soak, then put it in the dishwasher. Probably overkill, but I don't mind. It is so worth having!

Don't ya just love it. I've never had a hard time cleaning it. I wash it the same ways Charski does.:)