Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
We were young and broke and couldn't afford to waste food and I never forgot how bad that tasted lol. I do love my skillets for frying and baking - nothing ever sticks!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
My iron cookware is about 75 years old. I inherited it. Once, many years ago, I got careless and put my hot skillet in the sink and ran water in it. And of course, it cracked. But, within a couple of years, the crack self-healed. Often, I just wipe it with a paper towel. That's often all that is needed.

My MIL took hers on their yearly camping trip and put it down in the hot coals in the fire. She said that burned off all the excess build up or crust on the outside. I never did that, but she used that cookware until arthritis prevented her from lifting it.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I've heard of that, but never experienced it through decades of tomato sauces in my biggest cast iron skillet.
I've heard that the acid in the tomatoes can eat away at the seasoning, but I'm like you Ntombi, I've been doing tomato sauces in mine forever. I don't leave the sauce in the pot, but I've never had any trouble.

As a matter of fact, I do this fajita dish that HAS to be made in a cast iron skillet. You get the skillet smoking hot, throw in the peppers & onion slices to char, then throw in the cooked meat and then push the meat & veggies to the side and pour in some room temp salsa. Stand back because if the pan is hot enough, you'll get a huge head of steam as all the water cooks out of the salsa. Then mix everything together and serve.

There is NO WAY to get the right flavor in any other pan than in a cast iron skillet. The tomatoes in the salsa caramelize almost immediately when they hit that super hot skillet.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
The older and better seasoned the skillet the less the iron taste will get in, even with tomatoes. Something about how deep the seasoning soaks in over time. Last time we talked about CI, and seasoning on here I did a huge research about it. I cook sauce in mine all the time. I am about to give up one of my beloved CI pans to my DD1 this weekend. Can't decide which one I will part with.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I don't leave the sauce in the pot, but I've never had any trouble.
That's probably exactly what I did lol. Back in those days, I was probably emulating my mother who thinks the longer you cook something, the better it is. I probably had that sauce in the skillet for hours and hours. Now I just use stainless or enamel when I need to simmer tomato-based sauces for hours.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
The older and better seasoned the skillet the less the iron taste will get in, even with tomatoes. Something about how deep the seasoning soaks in over time.
That makes sense. The big one I used for tomato sauce is like 90 years old!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote