Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Blender Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804742-blender-suggestions.html)

evas 05-24-2013 12:08 PM

Blender Suggestions

Hi all,

I had been toying with the juicing idea for a while but I've come to the conclusion that I just can't afford a juicer and I also want the fiber and other micronutrients in the skins and flesh of my veggies/fruits. So I decided a smoothie would be a better way to go. Plus, if I'm going to invest the money into it I want to be able to use it for other things too, since money is pretty tight for me right now.

Although a Vitamix is considered the "ultimate" in blenders, I just can't afford it. I'm looking for something less than $100 but powerful enough to blend harder veggies like carrots, celery, cauliflower, turnips and broccoli. Suggestions on brands or specific models?

I have spent a good amount of time on Amazon reading reviews but a lot of the reviews are from people using the blenders for regular stuff like making soups or other purees or sauces and they don't address whether it can really chop up these hard veggies and make them smooth....

MaryMary 05-24-2013 01:36 PM

Ninja makes one for 44.95 that I bought at Sam's Club but they also have the Ninja 1100 for about $100 to $110 that can also make ice cream.

I have used mine to make gazpacho where I take my raw veggies and vblrnderize them so it is like a cold soup. It is very tasty and varies in flavor based on the veggies & herbs used used. It would easily make veggie smoothies. I make smoothies 3-4 times a week. I made salsa yesterday for the first time. I am not a fancy cook but I like that it is easy to clean. This is the 44.95 model.

keh216 05-24-2013 03:20 PM

I love my Ninja!!!! I have the 100.00 version but it came with all kinds of do-dads I don't need. I would have been fine with the cheaper version. It is fantastic!

miboje 05-26-2013 12:44 PM

I really like my Oster Fusion. I have turned a full-size carrot into a smoothie with it, so I know it works. It did fine for a green smoothie and some raw soups. It's affordable as well. Be sure to read reviews before you make a decision, and good luck with whatever you choose. :>)

rosethorns 05-26-2013 01:05 PM

Check everywhere for reveiws, and you tube to see how they compare. I have 3 blenders a small one for shakes, a bravetti that does alot, and a vita mix.
So I say look where you can see them come to life, even if that is a informacial (bad spelling).Check consumer reports.

Good luck.

Pami 05-26-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16441316)
So I say look where you can see them come to life, even if that is a informacial (bad spelling).

All kinds of infomercials on youtube, if that's the way you choose to do your
research! I prefer to read the reviews on Amazon, even if I don't plan to buy
from there. Personally, I love my Ninja!