Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Measurement help please

OK, I know that a cup is typically considered 8 oz. Lately though I've seen a number of references from reliable sources that stuff like flours are 4 oz to a cup. I'm confused.

When is a cup 8 oz and when is it 4 oz or something else?

I'd like to understand to get the recipes to come out best as possible and to not overuse ingredients as they amount to money.

Any guidance from experienced bakers here would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
There are volume ounces and weight ounces. Water is the only substance that is the same both ways. Eight fluid ounces of water is the same as eight ounces of water weighed out. Everything else has different weights or volumes.

A sifted cup of flour weighs four ounces. If it's packed, it will weigh more. That's why weighing ingredients is more accurate for baking.

You need to figure out if they're talking about weights or volume in the particular recipe you're following.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
There are volume ounces and weight ounces. Water is the only substance that is the same both ways. Eight fluid ounces of water is the same as eight ounces of water weighed out. Everything else has different weights or volumes.

A sifted cup of flour weighs four ounces. If it's packed, it will weigh more. That's why weighing ingredients is more accurate for baking.

You need to figure out if they're talking about weights or volume in the particular recipe you're following.
Thank you, Ntombi. How do I know though? It's usually a lot like on LCF. People post the recipe ingredients and instructions, except I usually can't post questions to them. I am thinking of blogs where people don't comment back and published cookbooks.

If you read recipes online, in books, what do you usually do as far as measuring out a cup?

Tracy
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If it's for something like flour, it'll usually say sifted, loosely packed, like that, especially if they're talking volume. If it's a serious baker, I usually see weights of each ingredient, rather than volume.

If you're not sure which they're talking about, the rest of the ingredients usually offer a clue; most recipes don't switch from one to the other.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
If the ingredients are listed in cups don't worry about weighing them. For instance, if a recipe for a cake says "1 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar" it means a measuring cup.

If the recipe is in weights it means to weigh the ingredients. For instance, "4 oz. flour, 8 oz. sugar" you would weigh the ingredients.

Most home cooks don't have kitchen scales so most cookbooks & blog recipes are in cups.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
If the ingredients are listed in cups don't worry about weighing them. For instance, if a recipe for a cake says "1 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar" it means a measuring cup.

If the recipe is in weights it means to weigh the ingredients. For instance, "4 oz. flour, 8 oz. sugar" you would weigh the ingredients.

Most home cooks don't have kitchen scales so most cookbooks & blog recipes are in cups.
That makes sense. It gets confusing though because I've seen people post recipes here in volume (saying 'cups') and then, somewhere in the thread beyond the initial recipe post, imply that they meant 4 oz rather than 8 oz.

Tracy