Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cauliflower mash question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804688-cauliflower-mash-question.html)

inotl65 05-23-2013 11:51 AM

Cauliflower mash question

Ive tried the Cauliflower garlic mash (faux potato) It came out very grainy and not very appetizing. Ive read all over LC cookbooks about how good this is. Is there a trick to getting it not to be grainy? Also wanting to try the cauliflower pizza crust if anyone has tried that and has any suggestions too.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

rosethorns 05-23-2013 11:57 AM

When you make the mash make sure your cauliflower is very dry. Use paper towels after you cook it to get as much water as you can.

Then add your butter and some cream cheese and spin in a blender. I hope that helps.

The pizza is so good.If you have more questions we will help.

millergirl1976 05-23-2013 12:00 PM

Rose is right on track. Make sure it is cooked until very soft, and then as dry as you can get it. I also use an immersion blender to blend mine- the more stout your blender, the finer you will be able to mash it, if that makes sense.

As far as the cauli pizza crust goes, same thing. Dry cauliflower, and bake it on parchment paper so it doesnt stick.

canadiangirl 05-23-2013 12:31 PM

I also use an immersion blender, I add 2 tbs cream cheese, 1 tbs butter, 1/2 chicken soup cube, 1/4 parmesan or feta, 1 tsp roasted garlic. Always turns out creamy and fantastic.

ravenrose 05-23-2013 01:01 PM

and a good food processor. I don't think you can mash it by hand very well!

SkeeterN 05-23-2013 01:16 PM

I do not boil mine ever. Just steam till very soft with very little water. Use a slotted spoon to get the cauliflower out and not any of the moisture. Add cream cheese and nothing liquid and whir in a food processor. Linda Sue said recommended a food processor and to me I wouldn't make it any other way.

Salt and pepper to taste.

YUM

inotl65 05-23-2013 01:16 PM

Awesome thanks everyone. My guess it I didn't have it dry enough and I used a mixer. I have a immersion blender and will try that. Thanks so much!

SkeeterN 05-23-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inotl65 (Post 16437402)
Awesome thanks everyone. My guess it I didn't have it dry enough and I used a mixer. I have a immersion blender and will try that. Thanks so much!

Seriously use a food processor

rosethorns 05-23-2013 01:38 PM

I use an immersion blender too. LOL

Charski 05-23-2013 03:15 PM

I've used my food processor (Cuisinart), my blender (Vitamix), and my immersion blender - I only use the immersion blender now. Not because the other two tools didn't do a great job, but because the immersion blender is SO much easier - no digging the stuff out of the bottom of the blender, and easy to clean up.

I steam mine too, in the microwave, with about 2 tablespoons of water per head of fresh cauliflower, chopped into florets. Drain very well, add a pat of butter and a big wedge of Brie, cover and let that stuff get melty, then blend with the stick blender til very smooth. Season to taste. Yum.

dianafoot 05-23-2013 03:36 PM

I steam it in the microwave with a little cream or milk poured over it. That keeps the sulfur compounds from developing and makes it taste very mild. After steaming it until it is soft, I take the top off the container, pour out any liquid and let the steam coming off of it dry it out.

Then I put it in my food processor with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and 1-2 tsp of potato flakes and blend it until smooth. The potato flakes add only about 5 g of carbs to the whole batch, but they really really improve the texture! DH, who loves mashed potatoes, actually asks for me to make this instead.

Key Tones 05-23-2013 03:50 PM

I can't stand the grainy thing either, which has happened even with the immersion blender.

I *overcook* it to make sure it is going to be creamy. Steam 45 minutes!

Then, overblend it so it gets to be a little sticky as well. It makes all the difference.

buttoni 05-25-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16437605)
I steam it in the microwave with a little cream or milk poured over it. That keeps the sulfur compounds from developing

OMG Why have I never heard of this Diana? I'm going to have to start cooking it that way! Thanks so much for the tip! My husband hates how the smell of cauliflower fills the house for hours after cooking it.

Pami 05-25-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16437605)
I steam it in the microwave with a little cream or milk poured over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16439933)
OMG Why have I never heard of this Diana? I'm going to have to start cooking it that way! Thanks so much for the tip! My husband hates how the smell of cauliflower fills the house for hours after cooking it.

We always did this, years ago, when we used sliced cabbage as "noodles".

buttoni 05-25-2013 02:30 PM

Hmmmm. I've just never heard this before. Thanks Pami. You're never too old to learn something new, I always say.

Kismet311 05-25-2013 02:53 PM

I use my food processor. I find if I overcook it, it isn't as thick like real mashed potatoes. I don't use milk just butter.

Key Tones 05-25-2013 05:19 PM

They don't get runny if you steam them. I've steamed them for an hour before. You have to watch and add water to make sure it doesn't cook away and start burning the pan.

I then let them sit out to dry for 15 minutes before popping them into the food processor.

lazy girl 05-25-2013 06:41 PM

I've used the cream for some time now for great cabbage noodles as well as the cauliflower. And it works. For me, when making cauli mash, the cream cheese is more important than butter. It makes for a creamier texture. And as suggested in one of my books, a bit of grated Dubliner cheese makes it just that much better. On, yum.

bacon bit 05-25-2013 06:47 PM

I steam cauliflower, then add it straight to the food processor with hwc, butter, asiago cheese, and salt and pepper. It's creamy and I'm able to freeze it. I also make brussels sprouts the exact same way, though it doesn't break down the same. It's really good, though! I just bought an immersion blender so I may have to try it that way.

dianafoot 05-26-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon bit (Post 16440457)
I steam cauliflower, then add it straight to the food processor with hwc, butter, asiago cheese, and salt and pepper. It's creamy and I'm able to freeze it. I also make brussels sprouts the exact same way, though it doesn't break down the same. It's really good, though! I just bought an immersion blender so I may have to try it that way.

Brussels sprouts? What is that like?

bacon bit 05-27-2013 07:11 PM

It mashes nicely but then I still get a few leaves. I really like it!

SummerAnne 06-09-2013 03:19 PM

I'm personally not fond of cream cheese in mine - love it in other things, just not this. I use butter & sour cream, and usually bacon bits & cheddar.