Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
low carb smoothies recipes anyone?

Hi all:
I have a hard time finding food to eat for breakfast...do not like meat or eggs so I was thinking about smoothies. Anyone have any recipes and what type of blender would you recommend. Thank you in advance!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I think the bullet type blenders work best for single servings...if you google low carb shake or smoothie recipes followed by low carb and the word forum a zillion threads will pop up...my morning go to is 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk or ice cold water, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder of choice, 1 ounce heavy cream, 1 tsp instant coffee,and 3 or 4 large ice cubes.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here is a bunch.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-recipes.html

Here are a bunch you might want to check out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Canned coconut milk, a spoonful of nut or seed butter, sweetener and a few raspberries can make a wonderful vegan smoothie that's LC with lots of good fat.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here are more:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
This is my current favorite recipe. It has a very nice, thick consistency.

THICK & SATISFYING STRAWBERRY SHAKE
1 cup chilled water
1/4 cup full fat cottage cheese
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (1/3 cup) *
1 packet strawberry flavor Yoohoo mix **
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 frozen whole strawberries (about 1 1/4 ounces)
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. With the blender on low speed, add the xanthan gum through the hole in the lid. Turn the blender to the highest speed and drop in the berries and ice cubes one at a time. Blend until the ice and berries are thoroughly crushed and the mixture is very thick and smooth.

Makes 1 large serving

* The kind I use has less than 1 carb per scoop.

** They sell it near the coffee at Walmart and I've also seen it at Dollar Tree. It has 1 carb per little packet.

Per Serving: 183 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

VARIATION:
You can also make this without the frozen strawberries to save some carbs. Just add 2 more ice cubes instead of the berries. Here are the counts for the berry-less version:

Per Serving: 172 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

The cottage cheese is the secret to making this very thick, filling shake. The xanthan gum is also important. I tried making it without the xanthan gum once and the texture wasn't the same. You can omit the ice cubes and use more berries if you can afford the carbs but I found that about 4 small to medium size berries gave this a very nice strawberry flavor. I think that just two berries would probably be enough if you want the boost of flavor but fewer carbs. Just add an extra ice cube if you cut back on the berries.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hoosiergirl
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: HCG
Start Date: March 2013
Get a stick blender!

I have used 3 types of blenders for smoothies: the Magic Bullet, an Oster, and a Cuisinart immersion blender. My least fav is the Bullet (doesn't blend well), and favorite by far (for single servings) is the stick blender. It not only blends well, but is soooo much easier to clean. Use one of those tall plastic cups to blend in and just rinse off the blending attachment in hot water when done. It's great if you make smoothies often, which I do - sometimes twice a day! And it was inexpensive - got it on sale at Kohl's and used an extra 30% off. Less than $30. The Oster I got on clearance for about $50 and it works great, too. Crushes ice to a very fine consistency. I use it when I make bigger batches of smoothies. In my opinion, the Magic Bullet and the Ninja are overrated and overpriced.
Hoosiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post

1 cup chilled water
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. With the blender on low speed, add the xanthan gum through the hole in the lid. Turn the blender to the highest speed and drop in the berries and ice cubes one at a time. Blend until the ice and berries are thoroughly crushed and the mixture is very thick and smooth.

Makes 1 large serving

** They sell it near the coffee at Walmart and I've also seen it at Dollar Tree. It has 1 carb per little packet.

Per Serving: 183 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

VARIATION:
You can also make this without the frozen strawberries to save some carbs. Just add 2 more ice cubes instead of the berries. Here are the counts for the berry-less version:

Per Serving: 172 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

The cottage cheese is the secret to making this very thick, filling shake. The xanthan gum is also important. I tried making it without the xanthan gum once and the texture wasn't the same. You can omit the ice cubes and use more berries if you can afford the carbs but I found that about 4 small to medium size berries gave this a very nice strawberry flavor. I think that just two berries would probably be enough if you want the boost of flavor but fewer carbs. Just add an extra ice cube if you cut back on the berries.
Sub-ing.....so I don't loose this link..............
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Depending how low you need to be, this might work.... I ate this even before lo carb....

1/2 avocado
davinci vanilla syrup.... Or chocolate .... Sugar free of course.
1 tbs cacao powder
3 tbs heavy cream
About 8 ice cubes
A little water

Blend. And then PM me a TY.

Last edited by Garlic; 06-10-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post

1 cup chilled water
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Makes 1 large serving

VARIATION:

Oooo, Linda Sue...I see this recipe manifesting into food form in my future. I have everything except the Yoohoo powder. It's going on the shopping list this week. Thanks so much.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keta
Stats: 210/196/170 5'9" 50 y/o
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
what type of blender would you recommend. Thank you in advance!

Hello!

I bought the Ninja Master Prep at Walmart last month. Along with the pitcher (48oz) it came with a 2 cup processor bowl.
I am VERY happy with it (totally crushes ice) and it was just 40 dollars.
I just looked at the website, and there is also a Ninja Frozen Drink maker, (no processor bowl) for 30.00. I highly recommend it
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Tracy, you could use strawberry flavored whey protein powder. I prefer to buy vanilla because that way I can flavor it any way I like.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote