Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   low carb smoothies recipes anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804665-low-carb-smoothies-recipes-anyone.html)

sarahatl 05-23-2013 03:37 AM

low carb smoothies recipes anyone?

Hi all:
I have a hard time finding food to eat for breakfast...do not like meat or eggs so I was thinking about smoothies. Anyone have any recipes and what type of blender would you recommend. Thank you in advance!

lterry913 05-23-2013 07:26 AM

I think the bullet type blenders work best for single servings...if you google low carb shake or smoothie recipes followed by low carb and the word forum a zillion threads will pop up...my morning go to is 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk or ice cold water, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder of choice, 1 ounce heavy cream, 1 tsp instant coffee,and 3 or 4 large ice cubes.

rosethorns 05-23-2013 09:16 AM

Here is a bunch.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-recipes.html

Here are a bunch you might want to check out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

Mrs S 05-23-2013 09:45 AM

Canned coconut milk, a spoonful of nut or seed butter, sweetener and a few raspberries can make a wonderful vegan smoothie that's LC with lots of good fat.

Charski 05-23-2013 10:39 AM

Here are more:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html

LindaSue 05-24-2013 06:39 AM

This is my current favorite recipe. It has a very nice, thick consistency.

THICK & SATISFYING STRAWBERRY SHAKE
1 cup chilled water
1/4 cup full fat cottage cheese
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (1/3 cup) *
1 packet strawberry flavor Yoohoo mix **
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 frozen whole strawberries (about 1 1/4 ounces)
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. With the blender on low speed, add the xanthan gum through the hole in the lid. Turn the blender to the highest speed and drop in the berries and ice cubes one at a time. Blend until the ice and berries are thoroughly crushed and the mixture is very thick and smooth.

Makes 1 large serving

* The kind I use has less than 1 carb per scoop.

** They sell it near the coffee at Walmart and I've also seen it at Dollar Tree. It has 1 carb per little packet.

Per Serving: 183 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

VARIATION:
You can also make this without the frozen strawberries to save some carbs. Just add 2 more ice cubes instead of the berries. Here are the counts for the berry-less version:

Per Serving: 172 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

The cottage cheese is the secret to making this very thick, filling shake. The xanthan gum is also important. I tried making it without the xanthan gum once and the texture wasn't the same. You can omit the ice cubes and use more berries if you can afford the carbs but I found that about 4 small to medium size berries gave this a very nice strawberry flavor. I think that just two berries would probably be enough if you want the boost of flavor but fewer carbs. Just add an extra ice cube if you cut back on the berries.

Hoosiergirl 05-28-2013 07:23 PM

Get a stick blender!

I have used 3 types of blenders for smoothies: the Magic Bullet, an Oster, and a Cuisinart immersion blender. My least fav is the Bullet (doesn't blend well), and favorite by far (for single servings) is the stick blender. It not only blends well, but is soooo much easier to clean. Use one of those tall plastic cups to blend in and just rinse off the blending attachment in hot water when done. It's great if you make smoothies often, which I do - sometimes twice a day! And it was inexpensive - got it on sale at Kohl's and used an extra 30% off. Less than $30. The Oster I got on clearance for about $50 and it works great, too. Crushes ice to a very fine consistency. I use it when I make bigger batches of smoothies. In my opinion, the Magic Bullet and the Ninja are overrated and overpriced.

Galveston Gal 06-09-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 16438372)

1 cup chilled water
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender. With the blender on low speed, add the xanthan gum through the hole in the lid. Turn the blender to the highest speed and drop in the berries and ice cubes one at a time. Blend until the ice and berries are thoroughly crushed and the mixture is very thick and smooth.

Makes 1 large serving

** They sell it near the coffee at Walmart and I've also seen it at Dollar Tree. It has 1 carb per little packet.

Per Serving: 183 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

VARIATION:
You can also make this without the frozen strawberries to save some carbs. Just add 2 more ice cubes instead of the berries. Here are the counts for the berry-less version:

Per Serving: 172 Calories; 3g Fat; 32g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

The cottage cheese is the secret to making this very thick, filling shake. The xanthan gum is also important. I tried making it without the xanthan gum once and the texture wasn't the same. You can omit the ice cubes and use more berries if you can afford the carbs but I found that about 4 small to medium size berries gave this a very nice strawberry flavor. I think that just two berries would probably be enough if you want the boost of flavor but fewer carbs. Just add an extra ice cube if you cut back on the berries.

Sub-ing.....so I don't loose this link....:shake:.....:jumpjoy:.....:love:

Garlic 06-10-2013 07:41 PM

Depending how low you need to be, this might work.... I ate this even before lo carb....

1/2 avocado
davinci vanilla syrup.... Or chocolate .... Sugar free of course.
1 tbs cacao powder
3 tbs heavy cream
About 8 ice cubes
A little water

Blend. And then PM me a TY.

:)

Smiles 06-10-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 16438372)

1 cup chilled water
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 or 3 large ice cubes

Makes 1 large serving

VARIATION:

Oooo, Linda Sue...I see this recipe manifesting into food form in my future. :D I have everything except the Yoohoo powder. It's going on the shopping list this week. Thanks so much. :)

Tracy

Keta 06-10-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahatl (Post 16436591)
what type of blender would you recommend. Thank you in advance!

Hello! :hiya:

I bought the Ninja Master Prep at Walmart last month. Along with the pitcher (48oz) it came with a 2 cup processor bowl.
I am VERY happy with it (totally crushes ice) and it was just 40 dollars.
I just looked at the website, and there is also a Ninja Frozen Drink maker, (no processor bowl) for 30.00. I highly recommend it :up:

LindaSue 06-11-2013 05:43 AM

Tracy, you could use strawberry flavored whey protein powder. I prefer to buy vanilla because that way I can flavor it any way I like.