Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chia seeds (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804610-chia-seeds.html)

astribling 05-22-2013 06:34 AM

Chia seeds

After hearing about all the wonderful health benefits I decided to try some. But now I'm trying to figure out what all to do with them.

I made some of the chia "tapioca" pudding, and it's actually pretty good. Kind of a nutty crunchy pudding. I have also read that they are good to sprinkle on yogurt and salads, etc, but do you sprinkle them on whole? or grind them? Just curious who uses them and how?

SkeeterN 05-22-2013 07:40 AM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-recipes.html

astribling 05-22-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16435299)

Thanks!!

tea cup 05-22-2013 07:52 AM

I just put about a half teaspoon in a small glass of water and chug it down every day.

rosethorns 05-23-2013 09:11 AM

Soobee shared this . They are great ground up and put into meatloaf . Keeps it very moist.

Nigel 05-23-2013 10:08 AM

I add a tablespoon ground up to muffins and to my smoothies with almond milk. Yum!!

millergirl1976 05-23-2013 11:04 AM

I sprinkle them in quiches, red sauces, over salads, in my smoothies, wherever I can get them in really.

JMacB 05-23-2013 07:30 PM

I've used them for all these ideas - love chia. But my favorite use was to sprinkle seeds in my son's slimy salamander terrarium so that Sally The Salamander can have some green grass in her habitat. It sprouted and grew in two days! My son was thrilled.

Well, that's my second favorite. My favorite was to make a pudding out of almond milk and Torani flavored syrup. Yum!

astribling 05-24-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMacB (Post 16437983)
I've used them for all these ideas - love chia. But my favorite use was to sprinkle seeds in my son's slimy salamander terrarium so that Sally The Salamander can have some green grass in her habitat. It sprouted and grew in two days! My son was thrilled.

:hyst: Love that!

Quote:

Well, that's my second favorite. My favorite was to make a pudding out of almond milk and Torani flavored syrup. Yum!

I've been making the pudding and can't believe how delicious it is! I love warm pudding, so I heated it up with just a dab of whip cream. OMG Yum!!

I'm looking forward to trying it in a bunch of other meals!

buttoni 05-24-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

OMG you gave me a good LOL on the aquarium use, JMac. :hyst:

Brendajm 05-25-2013 04:01 AM

What is your fav pudding recipe??

astribling 05-25-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16439512)
What is your fav pudding recipe??

I'm still experimenting, but here is one I made yesterday that was awesome:

1 cup vanilla almond milk, 2-3 T chia seeds (depending on how crunchy you like it), sweetener and flavoring of choice. I mix that up and let it sit overnight to get really creamy.

Then when I'm ready to eat it I warmed that up in the microwave, added a few sugar free choc chips, a few walnuts, and a dab or sugar free whip cream on top. OMG it was soooo yummy!! :up:

Annie75 05-25-2013 09:49 AM

I make up large amounts of chia gel and freeze it in ice cube trays, then empty the frozen cubes into freezer bags.
You always have it if you need it and its great for throwing into smoothies!

Brendajm 05-25-2013 02:40 PM

Astribling, that sounds good. I wonder if I could grind up the seeds to not have any crunch??

Beth2013 05-25-2013 02:50 PM

I was wondering if one could strain the gel without losing any of the health benefits? I don't like crunch in puddings, smoothies, etc.

astribling 05-25-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16440263)
Astribling, that sounds good. I wonder if I could grind up the seeds to not have any crunch??

I don't really know enough about chia yet to know for sure. I don't know if they would still gel when ground?? Maybe someone will pop in here who knows a bit more! I for one enjoy the crunch!

Brendajm 05-27-2013 04:24 AM

I made the pudding yesterday and after the pudding set up I put in a blender and that really took out most of the crunch. I then poured it over some cubed up MIMs ( the chocolate coconut MIM ) and put some whipped cream on top. It was so good ,,,

astribling 05-27-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16441994)
I made the pudding yesterday and after the pudding set up I put in a blender and that really took out most of the crunch. I then poured it over some cubed up MIMs ( the chocolate coconut MIM ) and put some whipped cream on top. It was so good ,,,

That sounds delicious! :yummy:

Beth2013 05-27-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth2013 (Post 16440275)
I was wondering if one could strain the gel without losing any of the health benefits? I don't like crunch in puddings, smoothies, etc.

And the answer is...No, you cannot strain it. This is according to a spokesman on the 'chia seeds health benefits' blog. He said the question actually made him laugh since if the questioner had ever seen chia gel, he'd understand how it's not possible.

Good to know. I'll probably still buy it, but limit its uses to meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, etc.