Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Whey Protein Powder vs Whey Protein Isolate?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/804593-whey-protein-powder-vs-whey-protein-isolate.html)

Smiles 05-21-2013 11:04 PM

Whey Protein Powder vs Whey Protein Isolate??

What is the difference between these 2 please? What are each of their uses in cooking and baking?

Tracy

LindaSue 05-22-2013 10:42 AM

I don't know why, but the isolates are usually lower in carbs than the regular whey protein powder.

Ginaaaaaa 05-22-2013 11:01 AM

Here's some info I found on the two whey proteins.

Protein concentrates. Protein concentrates are created by pushing the protein source (milk, whey, etc.) through a very small filter that allows water, minerals, and other organic materials to pass though. The proteins, which are too big to pass through the filter, are collected, resulting in protein powder. When this process is used to make whey protein concentrate, it yields a protein powder that is 70-85% protein and up to 5% lactose. People with lactose intolerance will have trouble consuming large amounts of whey protein concentrate.

Protein isolates. This is the next step up in purification; the protein is purified again using more filtration or a technique called ion-exchange or cross-flow microfiltration. Protein isolates have very low levels of carbohydrates and fat and are almost exclusively pure protein. People with lactose intolerance usually donít have trouble with whey protein isolates. Many companies that make whey protein isolates certify that their product is lactose free or they will even add lactase which is an enzyme that breaks down lactose to the protein powder to help with digestion.

If you are lactose intolerant and you have problems with gas then the whey protein isolate is the better choice. But just because isolate is more "pure" doesnít necessarily mean that whey isolate is better. Whey protein concentrate is still an excellent source of protein and concentrate has higher BV values compared to lean red meats, chicken, fish and whole eggs. Besides, whey protein isolate does have its disadvantages one of which it's more expensive than concentrate usually twice as much!!. It is also debately that because Isolate has been filtered more than concentrate some of the valuable immune-boosting protein properties have been removed and some say the protein is degraded more making it less useful to the body.

buttoni 05-22-2013 11:19 AM

:goodpost: I've never really understood the difference before. Thanks Ginaaa. I always refer to the unsweetened stuff I use in my recipes as Whey Protein Powder, but what I'm actually using is NOW brand whey protein isolate.

Smiles 05-22-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16435552)
Here's some info I found on the two whey proteins.

Protein concentrates. Protein concentrates are created by pushing the protein source (milk, whey, etc.) through a very small filter that allows water, minerals, and other organic materials to pass though. The proteins, which are too big to pass through the filter, are collected, resulting in protein powder. When this process is used to make whey protein concentrate, it yields a protein powder that is 70-85% protein and up to 5% lactose. People with lactose intolerance will have trouble consuming large amounts of whey protein concentrate.

Protein isolates. This is the next step up in purification; the protein is purified again using more filtration or a technique called ion-exchange or cross-flow microfiltration. Protein isolates have very low levels of carbohydrates and fat and are almost exclusively pure protein. People with lactose intolerance usually donít have trouble with whey protein isolates. Many companies that make whey protein isolates certify that their product is lactose free or they will even add lactase which is an enzyme that breaks down lactose to the protein powder to help with digestion.

If you are lactose intolerant and you have problems with gas then the whey protein isolate is the better choice. But just because isolate is more "pure" doesnít necessarily mean that whey isolate is better. Whey protein concentrate is still an excellent source of protein and concentrate has higher BV values compared to lean red meats, chicken, fish and whole eggs. Besides, whey protein isolate does have its disadvantages one of which it's more expensive than concentrate usually twice as much!!. It is also debately that because Isolate has been filtered more than concentrate some of the valuable immune-boosting protein properties have been removed and some say the protein is degraded more making it less useful to the body.

Gina, Thank you sooo much :hugs: That was a great explanation.

I take it that they are interchangable in baking then? Is that what you guys would think?

Tracy

Port_louis 05-23-2013 05:36 AM

Yeah. Basically isolate is fast absorbing and concentrate is slow absorbing if I remember correctly.