Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Cheesy Chicken Sofrito

Tonight's dinner sure was good, and it was so incredibly simple it went together in about 30 minutes, since my sofrito was already made. My kind of dinner. Just sear the chicken, the bacon, layer it all and pop in the oven for 15 minutes. Very easy; very tasty! This dish is not suitable for Paleo due to the cheese, but Primal followers can enjoy this if you eat cheese. It is acceptable for all phases of Atkins.

INGREDIENTS:

2 5-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. butter
2 slices bacon, chopped (I used thick slices)
2 oz. Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated
2 T. sofrito: (recipe below)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Slice breasts laterally not quite cutting in two. Lay them out flat and pound a bit with a meat cleaver or rolling pin so they are thinner, to speed up cooking. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over high heat. Sear meat on both sides. When nearly done, push chicken to the side of the skillet and add chopped bacon. Let it brown, stirring as it cooks. When both are fully done, turn off heat. Carefully place evenly 1 oz. cheese on each breast. Top each evenly with half the bacon. Finally, evenly dot 1 T. prepared sofrito on top of each serving. Pop skillet into preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with a nice guacamole salad or sides of your choice.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

367 calories
23.5 g fat
1.15 g carbs, .25 g fiber, .9 g NET CARBS
36 g protein
770 mg sodium
298 mg potassium
6% RDA Vitamin A, 38% B6, 19% B12, 7% copper, 15% iron, 9% magnesium, 95% niacin, 38% phosphorous, 13% riboflavin, 56% selenium, 10% thiamin, 17% zinc

SOFRITO INGREDIENTS:

½ bunch cilantro
4 large green onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 oz. red bell pepper
¼ c. parsley
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil (more if you want a thinner sauce)

DIRECTIONS: Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender until chopped and blended. Don’t pulse too long. You want it coarsely chopped about like pickle relish. Store your sofrito in a lidded jar in the refrigerator if not using immediately.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 20 tablespoons, 1 T. contains:

28 calories
2.74 g fat
.88 g carbs, .24 g fiber, .64 g NET CARBS
.24 g protein
10 mg sodium
40 mg potassium
8.6% RDA Vitamin C

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Looks good! I can always use a new way to fix chicken. Just planted my cilantro & I'm hoping it puts on more leaves soon.
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you planted a LOT of cilantro. LOL They don't produce much foliage on each plant. I figure 1 bunch in the grocery store represents about 5-10 plants. So I gave up on growing my own years ago. I will grow parsley, but not cilantro.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Peggy, this looks delicious! I'm adding it to my menu rotation soon.

What other uses do you have for the sofrito mixture?
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This looks really good, Peggy - right up DH's alley, too! Will put it in the "make this soon" pile.

BTW - thought you might like to know about that cheese - since it's my hometown! So I give you, from Wikipedia -

"In its earliest form, Monterey Jack was made by the Mexican Franciscan friars of Monterey, California, during the 19th century. California businessman David Jack sold the cheese commercially. He produced a mild, white cheese, which came to be known as "Jack's Cheese", and eventually "Monterey Jack".

A common misspelling is "Monterrey" Jack, presumably in confusion with the Mexican city of Monterrey."

Our favorite park is Jack's Peak, named after the same businessman!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you'll like this Char. I thought of you when I concocted it. I always spelled it with one "r", but my spell checker always want me to correct it to double "r". I thought I was actually wrong when I was right all along. Dumb spellchecker.

I think I may add a little seeded jalapeno next time. Might even try a little poblano sometime, too.

KC, all sorts of ideas are running through my head for this blend: Salad dressings, on grilled seafoods, in cream sauces for chicken or seafood, marinades for grilled pork and beef, to enhance Mexican dishes, on broiled tomatoes. This is a delightful flavor.

I suspect I may start making bigger batches and freezing flat in ziploc bags so I can break off a bit whenever I get a hankering for some.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-22-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I think you'll like this Char. I thought of you when I concocted it. I always spelled it with one "r", but my spell checker always want me to correct it to double "r". I thought I was actually wrong when I was right all along. Dumb spellchecker.

I think I may add a little seeded jalapeno next time. Might even try a little poblano sometime, too.

KC, all sorts of ideas are running through my head for this blend: Salad dressings, on grilled seafoods, in cream sauces for chicken or seafood, marinades for grilled pork and beef, to enhance Mexican dishes, on broiled tomatoes. This is a delightful flavor.

I suspect I may start making bigger batches and freezing flat in ziploc bags so I can break off a bit whenever I get a hankering for some.
LOL on the spellchecker - they make assumptions that aren't always correct!

RE: the bolded part - I do this with minced Serranos and jalapenos, and I also do that with any leftover chipotle chiles and adobo - I just blend that up smooth, then put into a sandwich baggie, press flat and freeze. So easy to break off a piece of that goodness when needed!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, yes. My Mom taught me that flat bag freezing technique. comes in handy for so many things, even breadcrumbs and such. She swears by ziploc bags and couldn't live without them. Me either.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

It's also good for a frozen LC margarita! LOL! Open a can of diet Mt. Dew, pour into a ziploc, freeze flat. Break up, put in blender, add the juice of one fresh lime and however much tequila you can stand. Blend. Drink. Repeat if you dare!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like how you think, Char. LOL