Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dixiedarlin
Stats: 191/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2012
Home-made tortilla chips/ Mexican casserole

My DH and I have desperately missed chips in our lives since going low carb, so I tried making up a batch of tortilla chips from a whole wheat high fiber tortillas. We are in heaven. I ended up making a whole pack and just put them in a plastic tub for easy access. (I cut 1 tortilla to make 24 chips)
I fried the first batch in canola oil, but oven baked the second. Both were delicious, but I must admit, the fried version was such a great texture. I have tried several brands and I really love the Mission carb control large tortillas the best. Although, any of the tortillas would do.

Last week, I used them to make a Mexican casserole:

24 tortilla chips (1 whole tortilla)
Ground beef
Cream of chicken soup
Black beans
Can of rotel tomatoes
1/2 cup water
Small onion
2 cups of cheese
Package of taco seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add cream of chicken soup, onions, rotel, beans, taco seasoning and water; mix well and heat thoroughly.
Line a 13x9 inch dish with tortillas. Then make a layer with the meat mixture. Cover with 1 cup of cheese. Make another row of tortillas, then finish off with rest of meat mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.

If you use soy black beans, the results can be very low carb (around 5-7 net carbs per serving). The whole family (including 2 little finicky girls ) loved and gobbled it up!
dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
These sound delicious.

I'd love to find some low carb snack food alternatives. I avoid wheat though, so I can't do this recipe. If you can think of a non-wheat version, or find a recipe anywhere, please let me know.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I have tried baking them and the texture didn't turn out crispy. I never thought of frying them.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
The Mission plain low carb tortillas baked up crispy for me. It takes awhile with 20 minutes at 350. I love them and carry in my purse in a baggie when going to a restaurant that might have a dip. What is interesting is that you just cannot eat nearly as many of these as you can the high carb chips.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dixiedarlin
Stats: 191/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2012
Mission is the only brand I can get to crisp up. The others (even when I fried them) turned out chewy. I think Mission has thin layers in the tortilla which helps it to crisp nicely.
I actually threw a sandwich bag of chips in my purse the other night and the DH and I enjoyed cheese dip for the first time in a while at a Mexican restaurant.
I agree... these fill me up QUICK! I usually only eat 1/2 a tortillas worth and that is even pushing it.
dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedarlin View Post
Mission is the only brand I can get to crisp up. The others (even when I fried them) turned out chewy. I think Mission has thin layers in the tortilla which helps it to crisp nicely.
Thanks for the tip about Mission brand low carb tortillas. My store carries quite a few brands but I always buy Mission so it looks like I will stick with them.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
Mission tortilla chips

Love the idea of baking the chips! They would be awesome to take to a restaurant to dip in the salsa! Thanks for posting.
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote