Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Fruit glazes

Hi All,

I found a LC, GF donut recipe online that I want to try, but it uses a store bought glaze for the filling. I'd like to have one I can make myself. It'd be awesome if the recipe could be tweaked to suit a variety of fruit, or even to be flavored chocolate, etc.

Anyone have any recipes or ideas to share?

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
How about putting the recipe so we all can look at. We would proably be able to say more.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,670
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's pretty easy to make that sort of filling with

some sort of thickener like glucomannan, guar gum, or xanthan
a little water
flavoring (apple in this case--try LorAnn)
sweetener

it's not going to taste or feel just like the real thing of course--it couldn't. Just depends on how fussy you are and how long you have been loaw carbing and craving something like this!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,500
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I found 2 recipes for strawberry glaze.
Glucomannan Strawberry Glaze PaminKY2 cups water
2 envelopes strawberry Kool-aid
4 tbs. Steviva
1/4 tsp. white stevia extract
1/8 tsp. liquid sweet 'n low
1/4 tsp. strawberry extract
20-24 drops liquid splenda (
1 1/2 tsp. glucomannan
Pour water into small saucepan on low heat. Add Kool-aide and sweeteners and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle glucomannan a little at a time on top and whisk in thoroughly. Keep whisking while mixture slowly heats up and as it gets warm it will start to thicken. When it reaches desired thickness or even a little less as it will thicken more while cooling remove from heat and let cool. After mixtures it will look a little gloopy so beat it a little with the whisk and it will smooth out and then pour into a lidded container and store in fridge
Strawberry Cream Cheese Squares Low Carb Energy2 teaspoon sugar-free strawberry Jell-O
1/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup cold water
Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water and refrigerate until syrupy.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
JHoberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 929
Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I'd puree a few strawberries, mix in a little water and sweetener and either vanilla extract or strawberry sf syrup. Simmer it in a pan for 5-10 minutes and thicken with guar gum or xanthan gum if needed or cook longer or use less water.

Seems to me orange would be easy with orange syrup and orange zest. Same with lime: lime syrup or juice and zest. Or lemon with lemon juice and lemon zest and extra sweetener.

The DaVinci pineapple syrup would probably work too. You could sprinkle your donut with coconut and have a tropical dessert.
__________________
Maintaining IS winning. Losing... it's icing on the cake!

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
How about putting the recipe so we all can look at. We would proably be able to say more.
That makes sense. Google JELLY-FILLED DONUTS, AND OTHER THINGS TO MAKE FROM A PANCAKE MIX. It is on Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen.

I don't think I'm allowed to post the link to the recipe directly. They sound yummy.

I'd love your feedback.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's pretty easy to make that sort of filling with

some sort of thickener like glucomannan, guar gum, or xanthan
a little water
flavoring (apple in this case--try LorAnn)
sweetener

it's not going to taste or feel just like the real thing of course--it couldn't. Just depends on how fussy you are and how long you have been loaw carbing and craving something like this!
OK. Could you give me an idea on the amounts of these ingredients I'd need for a serving of the recipe I'm referencing? I'm so new to baking with these items like glucomannan that I don't even have my order yet. I'm still buying supplies.

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 05-20-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I found 2 recipes for strawberry glaze.
Glucomannan Strawberry Glaze PaminKY2 cups water
2 envelopes strawberry Kool-aid
4 tbs. Steviva
1/4 tsp. white stevia extract
1/8 tsp. liquid sweet 'n low
1/4 tsp. strawberry extract
20-24 drops liquid splenda (
1 1/2 tsp. glucomannan
Pour water into small saucepan on low heat. Add Kool-aide and sweeteners and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle glucomannan a little at a time on top and whisk in thoroughly. Keep whisking while mixture slowly heats up and as it gets warm it will start to thicken. When it reaches desired thickness or even a little less as it will thicken more while cooling remove from heat and let cool. After mixtures it will look a little gloopy so beat it a little with the whisk and it will smooth out and then pour into a lidded container and store in fridge
Strawberry Cream Cheese Squares Low Carb Energy2 teaspoon sugar-free strawberry Jell-O
1/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup cold water
Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water and refrigerate until syrupy.

Thanks, Soobee

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 343
Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
I'd puree a few strawberries, mix in a little water and sweetener and either vanilla extract or strawberry sf syrup. Simmer it in a pan for 5-10 minutes and thicken with guar gum or xanthan gum if needed or cook longer or use less water.

Seems to me orange would be easy with orange syrup and orange zest. Same with lime: lime syrup or juice and zest. Or lemon with lemon juice and lemon zest and extra sweetener.

The DaVinci pineapple syrup would probably work too. You could sprinkle your donut with coconut and have a tropical dessert.
Those are some awesome ideas As I said to someone else, any guidance as to amounts of each ingredient that I may need would help. I need to get the hang of using these new low-carb specific ingredients...after they all arrive. LOL!

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 275
Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
These donuts look super good. We love anything lemon, so I'd fill mine with lemon curd. I bet there's a good, lowcarb, sugar-free recipe somewhere on this forum, too.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
That makes sense. Google JELLY-FILLED DONUTS, AND OTHER THINGS TO MAKE FROM A PANCAKE MIX. It is on Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen.

I don't think I'm allowed to post the link to the recipe directly. They sound yummy.

I'd love your feedback.

Tracy
Thanks Tracy.

Beth here is Charski's lemon curd recipe . We love it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cake-bars.html
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 275
Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Oh, thank you, that's perfect...I'm collecting so many recipes from here for when I finally have everything gathered to start cooking! I've picked up a few things locally and am adding to my list of what I can only get online. My only dilemma is what to try first!!!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.