Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
My tweaked version of the Honeyville Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made these last night and they are yummy I ate 4 right after making them. I didn't even wait for them to cool fully. Can you tell it's been awhile since I had homemade chocolate chip cookies?

I don't think I'm allowed to post pics yet here, or I would. Mine were a little bigger than bite-sized. I got about 50 from one batch. These were not flat and crispy. They were a bit more spongy, but very good.

Here is the tweaked version of the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 eggs
2 1/2 cups blanched Almond Flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tb. vanilla extract
1/2 cup granular Splenda
1 cup sf chocolate chips

Combined dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Stirred together the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
Mix the wet & dry ingredients together.
After all is well mixed, add in sf chocolate chips and mix again.
Formed about 1 inch balls & pressed onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Baked at 350 for 10-15 min.
Cool.

I added more salt, vanilla baking soda and vegetable oil than the original recipe called for on instinct.

Tweaker, you left out the eggs from the recipe when you typed it. I didn't even realize it until I reached the part of the recipe asking me to mix the wet with the dry ingredients, and was left wondering where all the wet ingredients were. I started with 3 eggs and then added a 4th because I felt it needed another one.

I was craving chocolate chip cookies, so these made me very happy.

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 05-28-2013 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: forgot a word
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Tracy - I just looked at the Honeyville bag and at Elana's Almond Flour Cookbook -- eggs are not listed in the ingredients in either one. I think the wet is the agave, oil and vanilla only, but as you say if not using agave you need to sub something so I'd agree with adding eggs.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Tracy - I just looked at the Honeyville bag and at Elana's Almond Flour Cookbook -- eggs are not listed in the ingredients in either one. I think the wet is the agave, oil and vanilla only, but as you say if not using agave you need to sub something so I'd agree with adding eggs.
Ah! That makes sense. I thought that was possible. Thanks for all your help

Question: these cookies are really good as is. Do you know of a way to make them a bit more crispy, by any chance? Sometimes, I just want a little crunch.

Tracy
Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
When subbing for agave, you need to add liquid (1/3 c liq./1 c. agave). I add caramel DaVinci for the "brown sugar" flavor.

Crispy cookies seem to be one of those elusive LC characteristics. I have only one recipe for a crispy cookie, Kevin's lace cookies with poly d.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I agree with drjlo, crispy low carb cookies are elusive. I made a mock oatmeal cookie years ago with TVP that was kind of crispy. I believe that was Kevin's recipe also. I know the lace cookies she mentioned also but I've never made them (I don't think!).
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I actually saw that TVP stuff in my grocery store. Got real excited thinking it might work as a coating for fried chicken. Before buying, I came home and searched this site only to find almost no one here uses it much.

Appears it's used mostly by vegetarians (sold in bigger chunks, they use it for a chicken replacement).

On crispy cookies -- I was thinking of just making a sugar-free meringue cookie with chopped chocolate and pecans. I'll just close my eyes and pretend I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie lol. Not sure what sweetener to use, though.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Ah! I see. Hmm. There's got to be a way to do it. I need one that is not only LC but GF. If anyone finds anything, please let me know. If I do, I'll add it here.

Tracy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
This is a recipe for CCC's that I have been dying to try. It is from Slim Palate- a low carb/Paleo-ish website run by this 17yo kid named Joshua Weissman (who has lost over 100 pounds) The site is gorgeous and he gives you step by step instructions with lots of pics. His explanation of this recipe is that it is the pecan pieces that really make a big difference in the perception of it being a "real" chocolate chip cookie. Here tis:

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar free) Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 25 mins Serves: 18-20

Ingredients
◦1 cup almond flour
◦1 cup pecans whole or halves
◦½ teaspoon baking soda
◦1 teaspoon vanilla extract
◦1 egg
◦½ cup butter softened, ghee softened or melted coconut oil (I use kerrygolds salted butter because it’s amazing)
◦½ teaspoon liquid stevia or ¼ cup honey (if using honey add about ¼ cup of almond flour if the cookie dough not thick enough. It should hold to the spoon quite well)
◦4 oz dark chocolate (70 percent or higher) or 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate mixed with powdered stevia(If you want to do the baking chocolate sweetened with stevia then simply melt it in the microwave at 10 second intervals mixing in between intervals until completely melted, then add 3-4 packets of stevia while mixing, once thoroughly incorporated pour it into a square container about the size of the chocolate bar or two small containers and refrigerate until hard, once hard use them as explained)

Instructions
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.In a medium bowl add almond flour and baking soda and incorporate with a dry fork.
3.Place pecans in a food processor and pulse until you get a very fine flour or begin to get a nut butter and place to the side. (You want the consistency as smooth and fine as you can get it without making it into a complete nut butter)
4.Chop dark chocolate or your makeshift stevia sweetened dark chocolate into bits about the size of chocolate chips and place them in a mesh strainer and shake them around to remove all of the chocolate “dust” left from chopping them. (the removal of the chocolate dust is optional it just leaves you with a cleaner looking cookie)
5.In your bowl of mixed almond flour and baking soda add the finely ground pecans and chopped chocolate.
6.In a small bowl add egg, vanilla extract, liquid stevia and your choice of softened butter or ghee or melted coconut oil.
7.Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until thoroughly incorporated and well combined.
8.Spoon cookie dough evenly as drops a little over a tablespoon in size onto parchment lined baking sheet
9.Place in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are slightly firm to the touch or begin to brown around the edges.
10.Once finished carefully place on a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes. (if you can wait that long)
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Gabby1 amazing website. He is pretty awesome. Thanks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
His before and after pictures are amazing. Good for him for figuring it out so young!

Cookies look good, too!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for that recipe, Gabby It looks good. I also want to check out his website. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Tracy
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
I just made a batch of the CCC from Slim Palate- very tasty. I subbed splenda/stevia/erythritol (1 c sweetening power) for the stevia or honey. The cookies did spread quit a bit so next time I am going to refrigerate the dough and use smaller spoonfuls of batter for the cookies.

The ground pecans lend an almost brown sugar- ish flavor to the cookies. So clever of the young chef to figure that out!
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote