Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Recipe for Sweet Nut'ns replacement? (L.C.Candied nuts) Please

For over 10 years I have been enjoying a product by a company originally called "Low Carb Success" and later Flax-Z-Snax called "Sweet Nut'ns".

I found them at a health food store during the first Low Carb Craze (as it was called after it faded out), then here at Netrition (the page is still active Flax Z Snax Sweet Nut'ns but Netrition hasn't carried them in years), and after Netrition discontinued them, directly from the distributor, ParksideDistribution.

I usually put a half dozen of these nuts on my salad after adding the vinegar and oil to add a little sweet crunchy treat to the meal. It is a delight that I don't want to give up, but even ParksideDistribution no longer has them, and the Flax-Z-Snax page is pretty bare so it looks like the manufacturer is in trouble and my salad treat for the past 10 years or so will no longer be available

From the Netrition page: Crunchy pecans, almonds and macadamia nuts sweetened with Expert Foods' not/Sugar. These nuts are a wonderful treat for anyone who tries them. There just ain't nut'n like them. Sweetened with Erythritol and sucralose - no maltitol.

Ingredients: Almonds, Pecans, Macadamia Nuts, Erythritol, water, flavorings, Vegetable gum blend, salt and sucralose.

Minus the sugar alcohol and fiber, one carb per 1/4 cup.

Netrition carries NOW Crunchy Clusters as a substitute, but with with rice malt and evaporated cane juice (read: sugar) it can't have a low impact on blood sugar.

Since I cannot find a low glycemic substitute, I figure I'm just going to have to make my own. Searching the forum gives me too many inappropriate results (it's probably my fault for not knowing just the right search terms to use).

So I've come to this community for help.

Does anyone have a recipe for low carb candied nuts?

If so, I'd appreciate you sharing it with me or pointing me to either a recipe link or a commercial product.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Here's a recipe that I like. It's from George Stella. A silicone baking mat works better than paper bags. You can use liquid sucralose instead of granulated splenda, but they aren't quite as good. They aren't very good right out of the oven. Let them cool and they'll crisp up and taste a lot better. I've made these several times for myself and given them away to others. Everybody loves them. Hope you enjoy.

renee's roasted cinnamon candied nuts
vegetable oil cooking spray
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons water
3/4 cup sugar substitute (splenda recommended)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups assorted whole natural almonds, walnut halves and pecan halves

1. preheat oven to 325

2. cut a brown paper bag to a size and use it to line a cookie sheet. Spray the top surface of the paper heavily with cooking spray.

3. whisk the egg white in a bowl till frothy. add the water,sugar substitute and cinnamon and wisk thoroughly.

4. add nuts to egg white mixture and toss to coat well

5. spread the coated nuts in a single layer on the oil coated paper and bake for 20-25 minutes. remove and allow to cool before breaking apart.

6. store the nuts in a sealed container (do not refridgerate).

yield
12 servings 1 1/2 ounces per serving
2 grams net carbs per serving
prep 15 mins
cook 20-25 mins

as quoted from george stella's livin' low carb family recipes stella style, page 51
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I suggest trying something much simpler. you just melt erythritol in a saucepan (it happens fast and is amazing to watch!) dump the nuts in, stir, turn out onto a plate to cool. they will be more like "peanut brittle" if you use a lot of erythritol, and candied nuts if you use just a little. a bit of butter is a good addition too, but don't burn it. perhaps some salt too.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004

Sugar Free Nutty Mix (Not induction) I call this stuff Crack cause you don't want to stop eating it. So make this an occassional treat

1 6 ounce pkg pecan halves,
2 tbl butter,
2 tbl brown sugar diabetisweet brown (cause I still have some) or see below,
1/2 can lightly salted mixed nuts
4 drops liquid splenda which is the equivalent of 1 1/2 tsp per drop.
Melt butter, sweeteners in sauce pan add pecans stir till well coated. Keep stirring don't leave the pan. When sweeteners begin to candy on your spoon spread out on plate let cool completely, break apart pecans that may be stuck together. Add mixed salted nuts and sugar free chocolate chips, and candied pecans. Toss to mix.....

Fantastic but definitely something one may struggle with portion control. Would be great to take to a party.

I used a 6 oz bag of pecans halves, 1/2 a 12 oz can of mixed nuts, and 1/2 bag of Hershey s/f chocolate chips.

Per Serving 1/4 cup: 286 Calories; 26g Fat; 71g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber

Cleochatra says: 1/4 cup brown sugar = 1/4 Tbsp molasses + 1/4 cup sweetener like truvia (no extra splenda needed with truvia), xyiltol or erythritol = 8 added carbs to your recipe from sweetener. Don't use just just splenda as it doesn't carmalize
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ut-flakes.html

You can use any kind of nut and use erythritol rather than the maltitol. I would also use some splenda because erythritol isn't quite sweet enough. At least for me.

It's easy to do and takes about 10 minutes.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I like to melt a T or two of kerrygold butter in a small frying pan or sauce pan and then throw in a handful or a few more pecans. I fry them up for a couple of minutes so they can soak up a little of that butter and then I sprinkle a packet of truvia over them and a little seasalt. I might have to do this later tonight.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Thank you all very much. I'll try a few and see which I like best.

I'm not going to worry about portion control, as I have been doing Sweet Nut'ns for over 10 years now, and at first I would OD on them, but I learned - 4 to 6 on top of a salad is enough for a treat.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I admire your portion control.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote