Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Grilled Grass-Fed Hanging Tender (Hanger Steak)

Last night's dinner was sooooooo good! My favorite marinade never fails me, and once again, a 3 hour marinate on a prized cut of grass-fed beef tenderized just as tender as grain-fed beef! Man, was this ever tasty! My husband just couldn't believe how tender this meat was, considering grass-fed beef is difficult to get tender.

I find myself liking grass-fed beef more and more. Not only is it healthier for you, but if cooked properly, it is NOT tough. Hanging Tender (also known as Hanger Steak, is one of the prized cuts of beef. Is the one the butcher likes to save for himself! Now I know why! Here’s a little video from a professional chef that tells you all about this cut of beef: The flavor of this cut falls somewhere between grilled chuck and ribeye to me. The piece of meat I cooked weighed about 2 lbs. and was marinated for about 3 hours in my Peppered Rib Roast marinade (I made up only 1/2 that marinade recipe) that I have posted here at LCF before: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ther-cuts.html Of course you can marinate your Hanger Steak in your favorite marinade, but this marinade never disappoints for beef. The nutritional counts for this recipe would naturally vary depending on the marinade you choose to use for your steak. So all I am showing below is the count for a 4 oz. serving of grass-fed beef. You will have to calculate the amount of meet eaten and then also add in the numbers for the marinade used. This recipe is suitable for all phases of Atkins and for Primal and Paleo devotees as well.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs. trimmed grass-fed Hanger Steak
1/2 recipe Peppered Roast marinade (link above)or any beef marinade

DIRECTIONS: Trim any sinew or membrane the butcher may have left on the surface of the meat. Season the the meat with pepper (I don’t like to salt meat prior to cooking as I think this draws out vital juices). Mix your marinade ingredients in a shallow ceramic or glass dish. Place the meat in the dish. Using a basting brush or spoon, drizzle the marinade all over the top surface of the meat. Flip and repeat on bottom surface. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 hours (or longer). Drizzle the marinade 2 more times times at hour intervals, turning the meat over each time so you can baste both sides. When ready to cook, prepare a hot bed of coals on your charcoal grill. You want to grill this like you would a large steak, fairly close to the coals for best surface charring. If you want your meat rare, the above-pictured piece was cooked 15 minutes on each side. For medium rare, cook about 20 minutes on a side. For medium, 25 minutes on a side. Larger pieces will of course take a little longer for each stage. You do not want to cook grass-fed beef well-done or you will likely render it unpleasantly tough. Remember, grass-fed beef grazes….and all that walking reduces fat marbling in those muscles. This meat is VERY lean! I can tell you for certain the above-pictured steak was as tender as any rare ribeye or tenderloin I’ve ever eaten!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Number of servings determined by consumer. A standard 4 oz. serving of grass-fed beef has approximately: (remember to add in your numbers for the marinade you select)

340 calories
22 g fat
0 g carbs, 0 fiber, 0 net carbs
32 g protein
50 mg sodium
29% RDA Vitamin B6, 305% B12, 33% copper, 90% iron, 10% magnesium, 56% phosphorous, 64% selenium, 10% thiamin, 182% zinc

Last edited by buttoni; 05-11-2013 at 12:46 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I always when I hear hanger steak - first time I'd ever heard of it, DH and I went to a special members only night at the Aquarium, and it was being served. When I told the waiter I wasn't familiar with that cut, from which part of the animal was it?, he told me "Oh, it's from the waggy part right here" as he indicated under the chin! And he was totally serious! DH and I laughed about that for years and still do!

I've since learned better and it's a great cut. That recipe looks goooood!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This was our first Hangar Steak, grass-fed or otherwise. I have to say I'm really impressed and will definitely buy it from my GF beef supplier again.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote