Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
LC Falafel?

DH loves falafels. I have been buying frozen, but really would like to make lower carb at home. I believe they are @5 carb each, DH has 3 or 4 per serving. I have to limit myself to 1.

Thinking of trying mixing mashed cauliflower with the chickpea flour, but have no idea about seasonings.

Also my local Mid eastern market is going out of business. So will need to start making them myself. Even if not lowcarb.

Hope someone can help

Thanks
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Fauxlafel with Tahini Sauce I Breathe I'm Hungry
1 cup raw cauliflower, pureed
1/2 cup ground slivered almonds
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1/2 Tbs. ground coriander
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
2 large eggs
3 Tbs. coconut flour
For the cauliflower you should end up with a cup of the puree. It takes about 1 medium head (florets only) to get that much. First chop it up with a knife, then add it to a food processor or magic bullet and pulse until it's blended but still has a grainy texture. You can grind the almonds in a similar manner - just don't over grind them, you want the texture. Combine the ground cauli and ground almonds in a medium bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well blended. Heat a half and half mix of olive and canola (or any other light oil) oil until sizzling. While it's heating, form the mix into 8 three-inch patties that are about the thickness of a hockey puck. Fry them four at a time until browned on one side and then flip and cook the other side. Resist the urge to flip too soon - you should see the edges turning brown before you attempt it - maybe 4 minutes or so per side. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve with tahini sauce and a tomato & parsley garnish if desired.
Tahini sauce
2 Tbs. tahini paste
3 Tbs. water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
Blend all ingredients in a bowl. Thin with more water if you like a lighter consistency.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, thanks so much for your inquiry Cruiser, so Soobee posted this recipe. Looks wonderful, Soobee. Just printed it out to try one day. Man, I often wonder if I'll live long enough to try all the recipes I say I'm gonna try "one day". LOL
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Oh, Buttoni, I hear you. There are soooo many things I'd love to eat ALL DAY LONG!

I love me some falafel, thanks for the request and the recipe, ladies! I'm going to try the above recipe with frozen tofu and tvp granules instead of the almonds and such. Will keep the seasonings the same.

I'm not usually a huge siracha (sp) fan, but on falafel (with loads of the tahini sauce) it is beyond awesome.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote