Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
cooking sherry and curly parsley.

If y'all are big fans of the cooking shows, as I am, and/or excellent cooks in your own right, and I am sure of that, are there legitimate uses for cooking sherry, and curly parsely, as everyone says to use only wine you would drink, and use Italian parsely? Enquiring trolls (this one)needs to know. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Gallery: pocahontas
Drinking wine and Italian parsley only in this house!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I use curly parsley if I want a "bright" or "fresh" flavor in something. Otherwise Italian parsley or Cilantro
Cooking sherry and other 'cooking' wines are usually loaded with sodium and enhancers and (honestly)have an "off" taste to me when I cook with them.
I second the "only use a wine you would drink" vote.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I don't buy cooking sherry - I don't like the taste of it - so yeah, I guess that falls in the "don't cook with it if you wouldn't drink it!" camp.

I normally use curly parsley because we have a couple plants that just keep propagating themselves year after year. Easy to go out and snip some off!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love parsley.And I eat it plain.

I only use wine that I would drink. I like to cook with wine a lot.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
personally I think the prejudice against curly parsley is just silly. it doesn't taste that much different from the flat leaf kind. I see it as just one of the ways foodies try to distinguish themselves from the masses.

cooking sherry though? it's generally salty. you might want to taste how sweet it is too. you certainly can slosh a little bit into any sort of sauce, soup, or stew, but whether it really improves the flavor or not you have to judge.

I don't cook with sherry, but I am a big fan of Spanish sherry vinegar. I use that or apple cider vineger most of the time. I imagine your cooking sherry might be nice if you added just a LITTLE bit to a salad dressing. I know the sherry flavor in the vinegar is wonderful in salads.

I certainly would never go out and BUY cooking sherry! I am just saying if you already have it, you might be able to use it. or maybe not.

Last edited by ravenrose; 05-01-2013 at 03:42 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Administrator

That's odd, Ravenrose. I find there's a big taste difference in curly and flat leaf parsley. Hmm, maybe it's just a tastebuds thing.
Curly tastes sweeter and brighter to me.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I agree with Dottie - the flat leaf or Italian parsley has a different taste than the curly kind. I like the curly taste better!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Cooking Sherry, no way. Ditto what others said. Get the real stuff. Huge taste difference in the 2.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I have not used cooking wine since I was about 15 years old and starting to learn to cook. My mom had some so I used it but then I realized that it was horrible so I made her buy regular wine LOL I guess I was a wine snob then too. I have always assumed curly parsley was for garnish.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Administrator

Kismet, if you blend a big handful of curly parsley with a clove of garlic, some crushed pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and some olive oil, you get a delicious sauce to drizzle on veggies OR you can add some parmesan to that and slather it on fish before you bake it
The amount of oil depends on how you're going to use it. Less for topping fish and more for the saucier application
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
That sounds good but I dont' think that could hide the actual taste of fish that makes me go LOL Maybe it will work on chicken!!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #13

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I also don't think that there's much difference, if any, in flavor between curly and flatleaf parsley. Although I find the flat kind is a little easier to chop, without getting a lot of stem bits, it also tends to have larger bits that don't look pretty in food and can more readily get stuck in your teeth. The curly kind chops up smaller and more "dainty", LOL. It's better for freezing too because it doesn't end up all flat in a layer in the bottom of the container like the flatleaf kind.

As far as cooking wine goes, I do buy it once in a while because I never drink wine (hubby can't drink either since his liver transplant) and it's a waste for me to buy a large bottle of it. Since I generally don't use more than a tablespoon or two in a recipe, the saltiness isn't a problem and I still get a hint of wine flavor, which is what I want. I also don't have to spend a lot of money for it and the small bottle lasts a very long time for me.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I actively dislike the taste of flat, Italian parsley. I find it somewhat bitter. I prefer the curly parsley and that's all I grow. I just use regular drinking sherry for cooking.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have never used cooking sherry, so I dunno...

To me, curly parsley is about the same as flat leaf - they both give a bright grassy flavor if you chop them up. Obviously, the curly makes a pretty garnish.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
You can freeze extra wine and use it later. Can freeze in a flat baggie and just break off how much you need. Or freeze in ice cube trays.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, my, Teacup. How clever. I would have never thought of freezing wine since it takes ages for it to go bad. But for cooking, I guess it would work just fine. I have a second refrigerator and just keep my open bottles of cooking wines there until they are used up.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
What a great idea to freeze wine! I bought a bottle of sherry to use for cooking, but haven't opened it yet--I like the taste that sherry brings to a sauce, but I don't drink it and didn't know how to preserve it once opened. I will definitely try the freezing method. I like the idea of breaking off a sherry Popsicle to use once in awhile!
dianafoot is online now   Reply With Quote