Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Thai Chili's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/803131-thai-chilis.html)

MsWoods 04-30-2013 12:48 PM

Thai Chili's

What to do with them and are they very spicy?

My local Asian grocer has huge huge bags of them for like $4 and they look so good. I've only had them cut up in sauces, like sweet fish sauces, but they just look so good and seem like they would add a lot of color and pop to food. But the bag is huge lol. What all can I do with them? And are they really spicy?

Charski 04-30-2013 01:19 PM

The Thai chilies I've had have been pretty much on the warm side! :) BUT I love them. They're really flavorful.

I bet you can do like I do with Serranos - wash, pat dry, slice or chop, stick in a freezer zipper top bag, press out all the air, toss in freezer. I try to get them as flat as possible in the bag. That way, even when frozen, I can just break off as many as I want for my recipe.

ravenrose 04-30-2013 02:01 PM

what exactly do they look like? Thai bird's eye chiles are among the hottest ones around. https://www.google.com/search?q=Thai...w=1900&bih=900

I would suggest moving VERY carefully to try them. preferably rubber gloves, since getting the oils under your fingernails will inevitably mean brushing your eye, nose, or lower parts (when you go to the bathroom) and REALLY REGRETTING THAT.

the heat in chiles is in the membranes, not in the seeds like people think. so if they turn out to be too hot, slit them and remove all the membrane carefully.

I have a sense you may find one tiny chile, dived, enough for a whole dish. Like I said, move slowly and find out!

MsWoods 04-30-2013 02:04 PM

Those look like the ones Raven lol. I may pass on them, idk. But like Char said, I can freeze them. IDK, Idk lol. I will probably end up buying them.

Lavender Blend 04-30-2013 03:34 PM

You could put some in a jar of vinegar and make your own hot sauce.

Or put some in a jar of olive oil to flavor your oil.

greybb1 04-30-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavender Blend (Post 16401939)
You could put some in a jar of vinegar and make your own hot sauce.

Or put some in a jar of olive oil to flavor your oil.

^^ This ^^ Do both, but I would "poach" the sliced peppers in the oil so it can really get some of the heat. Just wash the peppers really well, slice them, clean them if you want and put them in a pot or pan of oil. Heat the oil on very low heat for about 10 minutes then put in a jar. You don't want to cook them, you just want them to release some of their oil.

Of course, if you have a Sous Vide contraption you can put the oil & peppers in a sterile jar in the water bath at 185* for about 90 minutes. Right Charski? ;)

My mom used to put the little hot peppers into a jar and cover with white vinegar. My parents used the vinegar on collard or mustard greens.

Ntombi 04-30-2013 07:02 PM

I buy them all the time. I love them! They are spicy, but not crazy spicy, just about a level up from jalapeños, IME.

I'm a definite chilihead, though. :p

I use them in the crock pot, throwing them in with pork roasts or chuck roasts. I sauté them with onions and mushrooms to eat with chicken or burgers, I throw a couple in when I'm making skillet meals with ground beef and veggies. Just all kinds of things. Oh, I also sometimes put them in my soups.

Charski 04-30-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16402060)
^^ This ^^ Do both, but I would "poach" the sliced peppers in the oil so it can really get some of the heat. Just wash the peppers really well, slice them, clean them if you want and put them in a pot or pan of oil. Heat the oil on very low heat for about 10 minutes then put in a jar. You don't want to cook them, you just want them to release some of their oil.

Of course, if you have a Sous Vide contraption you can put the oil & peppers in a sterile jar in the water bath at 185* for about 90 minutes. Right Charski? ;)

My mom used to put the little hot peppers into a jar and cover with white vinegar. My parents used the vinegar on collard or mustard greens.

YOU BETCHA! :up:

I've been making this great fresh pickle - you toast mustard seeds and whole peppercorns in a dry saucepan, then add a couple bay leaves, stir til they're fragrant, then add cider vinegar and sweetener, bring to a boil. While you're doing THAT part, you slice up fresh peppers (I use jalapeno) and onions, I layer them in a canning jar. Then you pour the boiling liquid over them, let cool to room temp, then stash in the fridge for a few days. They're good on just about everything! :)

We love Serranos too. The Thai peppers I've eaten have been on about that par heatwise.

Soobee 05-01-2013 03:53 AM

We make our hot pepper jam with them. My husband calls it "the greatest condiment known to man".

tinamanni 05-01-2013 04:58 AM

Tortilla soup?

You could roast them first and replace the other chilis with yours

MsWoods 05-01-2013 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I may go get some.

Ntombi 05-02-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16402710)
We make our hot pepper jam with them. My husband calls it "the greatest condiment known to man".

Recipe please? I can't find a SF hot pepper jelly, and I miss it dearly.

Soobee 05-02-2013 06:46 AM

This is a tweaked version of Dianafoot's recipe. I could not find the peppers she was able to grow in her garden, so I used what was available at the store. We have made this 3 times so far. We are never without it. As Ravenrose warned you, wear gloves when cutting these peppers.

Hot Pepper Jelly
2 red bell peppers, chunked and seeded
1 ½-2 cups Thai red chiles, split and seeded and ribs removed
½ tsp. sucralose
1/3 cup powdered erythritol
5/6 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp. calcium water
2 tsp. pectin
Pinch salt
3 drops red food coloring
Put prepared peppers, cacium and vinegar in Vitamix. Blend until smooth. Put all ingredients in a saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes.