Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Husband approved recipes?

My husband has reluctantly come on board the low carb train but not wholeheartedly. He doesn't care for the coconut flour or almond flour but I can get him to eat a waffle and french toast (BTF mix) and muffin (almond flour) from these once a week. I'm running out of ideas for breakfast and lunch. I really get tired of eggs and I can't eat dairy so that limits me for breakfast. We eat so many eggs that I'm concerned we'll end up getting an allergic reaction eventually and then we'll really be in a fix. I can only fix him a salad for lunch once in a while because of health issues and he doesn't care for the bread I make from the BTF mix (but he will eat it in french toast). Soup weather is gone.

I sure would love some ideas on husband approved recipes. We are not doing a strict Atkins. I have cut out wheat for the most part (he still eats it for lunch) and sugar. I'm doing fine for the dinner meals.

Thank you in advance! I don't know what I'd do without you gals and your recipes! I've never been able to stick to low carb in the past for very long because of boredom! You've changed that for sure!
Grammy G

Last edited by Grammy G; 04-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Add to be notified of posts
Grammy G is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
My husband really enjoys tuna burgers for lunch. Just take a large can of water packed tuna, add a beaten egg, mayo, finely chopped celery, green pepper and onion and a squeeze of lemon juice, mix and fry up, this makes 2 huge burgers . I just make flattened globs, sprinkle with grated cheese if you like and put the lid on the fry pan to melt the cheese. Serve with a salad. Or not. If you want to leave out the egg you can use just the whites or omit it entirely but it does hold the stuff together.

Try a shake for breakfast made with almond milk, frozen berries and protein powder. There is a great shake thread you can check out.We have shakes and a low carb muffin most mornings. Fast, yummy and no eggs or dairy or cooking required.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
My husband was leery of this my most recent "diet", just because he has seen me try and fail so many times in the past. What is different about this time around is that I love the allowed foods on the low carb woe. When I found this board our cuisine went from good to restaurant quality awesome.

What really chaps my a$$ is that my reluctant husband has lost more weight than I have and he's not even trying (or cooking).

Anyway, his favorites are (all from this board):

Charski's Killer Quiche
Nancyelles Thin n Crispy Pizza Crust
Calieco's Peanut Butter Torte
The Cheesecake Factory cheesecake clone
Atkins Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Jennifer Eloff's Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"
Almond Raspberry Coffecake (unknown originator)
Linda Sue's Seasame Almond Crackers
Charski's Lemon Bars
Diana Foot's Southern Bisquits using Ouizoid's BTF mix
Buttoni's Pancakes using Ouizoids BTF mix
Linda Sue's Crack Slaw
Charski's squash browns
Jennifer Eloff's Banana Nut bread
Jennifer Eloff's Low carb Scalloped "Potatoes" (Barbo's original recipe)
Big Al's bbq sauce - my low carb version
Beef stew (subbing radishes for the potatoes) my recipe
Beans n Weinies - my recipe - more slow carb than low carb
Lemon Pepper Swai - my recipe
Sauteed Rosemary Chicken Thighs - my daughters recipe
Italian sausage with Red bell Peppers & marinara over spaghetti squash - my recipe

What blows my mind is that I (we) can eat like this and not gain weight.
I am so OVER the need for bread and pasta. I'm 6 months into this. This is the longest I've ever been able to last on any diet - and I'm not quitting anytime soon. For what? Toast and a 10 lb weight gain year over year?

NO WAY.
/rant

Last edited by CarenL; 04-28-2013 at 12:53 PM..
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
Stats: 151/145/140
WOE: Low Carb
When I found this board our cuisine went from good to restaurant quality awesome.

Isn't that the truth? We used to be big time eat out people. I don't miss it one bit. I would rather dine out on our deck in the summer and take in the nice view than sit in some dark restaurant. I do miss Mexican, but we have Mexican night at home, complete with lc margaritas on occasion, and it is good! I even complete the atmosphere with the music. My husband has come to realize that this has to be a way of life for him with his diabetes, and I have managed to keep him from being on insulin shots. This was the final trial for us, and it has been working! Yes, he is the one losing, and I am only maintaining what I should loose, but on the other hand, I did not gain. I just have to be more diligent with portions. Anyway, I found this recipe on here, and once again, as usual, can't remember who posted it, but kudos to the original author. My husband loves it:

Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Sauce

First cook the chicken:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half legnthwise
grated parmesan cheese for dredging
oil for frying (I use grapeseed, but any will do)

Toss the chicken fillets in the parmesan cheese to coat. (I pound my chicken thin, and dip in an egg wash first, then use a parmesan spice blend that I found at Walmart). Fry in the oil until brown and cooked through. (Don't overcook or it will be dry). Remove from pan and set aside. Pour out oil. (I wipe the pan afterwards before making the sauce)

For the sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
3 large cloves of garlic (or 4-5 small)-pressed or minced
1/2 pint of whipping cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the pressed garlic and let it saute for 30 seconds or so. You don't want it brown, or the butter burnt! add the cream and the parmesan cheese and let it cook on low heat until you're ready to eat. When you're ready, plate the chicken and spoon sauce over it.

Original poster suggested side of broccoli, which suits me, but DH is not a huge fan, so we just have a nice salad. This is so quick, truly a very fast meal.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

It looks wonderful Mari but I can't eat dairy. Sure wish I could because it looks wonderful!

Grammy G
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

What a great list! I'll have fun going through these recipes! Thank you so much! Does your husband have some specific recipes he likes for breakfast?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
What a great list! I'll have fun going through these recipes! Thank you so much! Does your husband have some specific recipes he likes for breakfast?
He could eat Charski's killer quiche every day for the rest of his life and be perfectly content. That and Jennifer Eloff's Banana Nut bread (which I make into muffins).

A couple of weeks ago I made Eggs Benedict. I used a regular english muffin which isn't exactly low carb but kept the rest of the day very low carb so still came in < 50 carbs for the day, so it was all good.

Last edited by CarenL; 04-28-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
When I found this board our cuisine went from good to restaurant quality awesome.

Isn't that the truth? We used to be big time eat out people. I don't miss it one bit. I would rather dine out on our deck in the summer and take in the nice view than sit in some dark restaurant. I do miss Mexican, but we have Mexican night at home, complete with lc margaritas on occasion, and it is good! I even complete the atmosphere with the music. My husband has come to realize that this has to be a way of life for him with his diabetes, and I have managed to keep him from being on insulin shots. This was the final trial for us, and it has been working! Yes, he is the one losing, and I am only maintaining what I should loose, but on the other hand, I did not gain. I just have to be more diligent with portions. Anyway, I found this recipe on here, and once again, as usual, can't remember who posted it, but kudos to the original author. My husband loves it:

Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Sauce

First cook the chicken:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half legnthwise
grated parmesan cheese for dredging
oil for frying (I use grapeseed, but any will do)

Toss the chicken fillets in the parmesan cheese to coat. (I pound my chicken thin, and dip in an egg wash first, then use a parmesan spice blend that I found at Walmart). Fry in the oil until brown and cooked through. (Don't overcook or it will be dry). Remove from pan and set aside. Pour out oil. (I wipe the pan afterwards before making the sauce)

For the sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
3 large cloves of garlic (or 4-5 small)-pressed or minced
1/2 pint of whipping cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the pressed garlic and let it saute for 30 seconds or so. You don't want it brown, or the butter burnt! add the cream and the parmesan cheese and let it cook on low heat until you're ready to eat. When you're ready, plate the chicken and spoon sauce over it.

Original poster suggested side of broccoli, which suits me, but DH is not a huge fan, so we just have a nice salad. This is so quick, truly a very fast meal.
YUMM!!!! I will be trying this SOON!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
I can only fix him a salad for lunch once in a while because of health issues
I didnt really understand this sentence... is there something specific about salad? Or are you looking for a recipe that you make once on a weekend and then just serve it during the week? Because salads are very easy to make completely ahead of time and have ready to grab during the week.

I frequently cut up various veggies on a weekend, so they are ready to go. To make a salad just tear off a fresh handful of lettuce and add handful of a few different veggies, and my salad is done. I often top with some leftover deli meat or sunflower seeds or hardboiled eggs for protein.

In place of a sandwich, I do lettuce rollups... kinda like Jimmy Johns "unwich" but I make it myself. Just put whatever meats and condiments yould normally put in a sandwich in a lettuce leaf. You can get really gourmet - avocado, bacon, tomato, chicken, mayo. Tuna salad with pickles. Hummus with roasted red peppers and sprouts.

They also make low carb breads, low carb wraps and low carb pita bread for sandwiches that you can find in most stores - even Walmart and normal grocery stores, if you just look around. Probably the healthiest is Ezekial bread.

I personally do eat warm soups in the summer... but you could try chilled soups too. Gazpacho is very refreshing.

Other than that - just make extra of whatever you make for dinner so that it can be reheated for lunch.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
What did he eat for breakfast and lunch before? I found that I needed to get as close as possible to what my husband was already eating. He ate cereal for breakfast, so now I purchase the Hi Lo cereal along with the Sensato Nut & Flax Granola - both from Netrition. The cereal is a bit expensive, but I don't eat it, so it lasts a long time. Also there are lots of cereal recipes on this board where people make it themselves. Then for weekend lunches, he used to eat sandwiches, but didn't like the low carb bread I make for myself, so I bought the Flatout wraps and now he makes any kind of sandwich he likes for lunch. I hope that helps.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 164.4/163.2/135? <- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 1/2/2014
There are some good suggestions here.

My husband is a meat eater, so he will eat any type of meat grilled, roasted, bbq'd, etc., with veggies on the side. For breakfast, he loves two cream cheese muffins and some bacon. Another vote for Charski's killer quiche as well.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
subbing... we are doing more of a lc primal approach since that is what DH is on board with. But I cant wait to look up all those recipes YUM!

here's one we love on our mexican night...tortilla chips have not been a problem for me, I am still losing ~ plus this isnt something we eat every week, just like to change it up from homemade tacos

Savory Southwest Cheesecake
(Slightly adapted from Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain)
Ingredients
Crust
1 1/2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips (with a hint of lime)
1/4 cup butter, melted
Cheesecake
1 cup cottage cheese
3 pkg (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
3 cups aged cheddar, shredded
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chillies
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
4 eggs
Topping
1 container (8 oz) sour cream
Decorations
seeded, chopped tomato
green onions, chopped
aged cheddar, shredded
tomatoes
olives
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9 inch springform pan with cooking spray. (I used a 7 inch and a 4 inch pan to make this)
Combine crushed tortilla chips and butter. Press firmly into bottom of prepared pan (or pans).
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove from heat after 12 minutes and set on wire rack.
Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in magic bullet or blender and process until smooth.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together cottage cheese, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chillies, garlic, tomato paste, and spices.
When well combined, beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Pour over crust in prepared pan (or pans).
Bake 60 minutes.
Combine sour cream and jalapeno cheddar cheese dip until smooth. Spread mixture over hot cheesecake and return to oven. Bake 10 more minutes.
Turn off oven, crack open door and let cheesecake cool in the oven until completely cool.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
My hubby loves most everything low carb we make - he usually has rice with it. His metabolism is completely different than mine so he can handle it. A favorite of his (and mine - it's amazing really!) I eat with cauli mash, he with real mash:

TYLER'S BEEF STROGANOFF from LindaSue's site
3 cups beef broth (you will need 2 cans)
1 small carrot, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons butter *
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 pound chuck roast, cut into 1" cubes
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons oil
4 ounces onion, chopped (1 medium)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

In a medium or large pot, bring the broth, carrot and bay leaf to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand until needed. If you're going to serve the stroganoff over noodles for the high-carbers, you can use the same pot to cook them in later while the stroganoff is simmering.

Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. This will be the same pot that you will cook the meat in later. Sauté the mushrooms until tender and somewhat browned; remove from the pot to a small bowl and set aside until needed. I recommend refrigerating them since they will be sitting around for about 2 hours.

Pat the meat cubes dry and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat; brown the meat in two batches so that it is always in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Return all of the meat to the pot; add the onions and garlic; cook until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and strain the beef broth into the pot; discarding the carrot and bayleaf. Simmer, partly covered, 1 1/2-2 hours or until the meat is very tender.

When the meat is done, add the mushrooms, sour cream, mustard and parsley. Adjust the seasonings to taste. If you'd like to give the gravy a bit more body, push the meat into a pile on one side of the pot. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat then mix in well. You don't want to boil the sauce, so just let it sit for a few minutes on low heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. This won't make a thick gravy or make the sauce slimy, it just makes it so that it's not watery.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Greek Chicken

4 tablespoons olive oil
4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 c Tomato; diced
1/2 c Water
2 cubes Chicken bouillon cubes
6 oz Feta cheese
1 tsp Dried basil
1 tsp Garlic; minced
Freshly ground pepper; to taste
20 oz Frozen chopped spinach; thawed and drained

In medium skillet, brown chicken in olive oil.

Stir in tomato, water, bouillon cube, feta cheese, basil, garlic and pepper.

Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add spinach and simmer for 10 minutes more.

Per Serving: 412 Calories; 25g Fat (53.6% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 107mg Cholesterol; 1034mg Sodium.

Quick & easy- great for lunch. Feta cheese is very good, but may be omitted if need be due to allergies or religious restriction. Makes 4 servings, but recipe would be easy to halve.

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~

Last edited by Pami; 05-02-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
ok Pami - that Greek chicken was INCREDIBLE! love love love it! even the kiddos liked it which was an unexpected bonus

thanks!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Linda Sue's recipes. You just have to read her comments at the bottom of each one and decide if it sounds like a good one. She rates them out of 5 stars.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

And here was a recent thread where someone asked everyone which was their fave LindaSue recipe: Favorite Linda Sue Recipe?
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote