Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
What to get at Trader Joes?

I make it to Trader joes once or twice a year. Anything I should pick up this round? I searched the posts, and the last time this was asked was back in 2007, so i figured by now there would be different products to look out for.
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I keep bags of their frozen artichoke hearts in the freezer at all times.

Then when I need a quick vegetable, I sauté them (straight from the freezer) in butter or oil until they are browned. Always a hit.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My suggestion - go when you have plenty of time to cruise the aisles, because they have SO much good stuff!

Recent faves - Sweet Potato Tater Tots, Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Quinoa with Kale (those are all in the frozen foods aisle), love their aseptic carton quart unsweetened coconut milk (I use it in smoothies, DH loves it with his Fiber One cereal), of course all their great cheeses, Kalamata olive oil, smoked oysters in olive oil, kimchi chips (dehydrated kimchee, crunchy-salty goodness if you like kimchi!), Hansens Splenda-sweetened sodas - plenty I can't think of right now!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love their coconut milk in the can, its very thick.

Frozen fruit, I buy different teas,check out their cheese.

Almond meal for Barbo's Rye bread recipe.
I'll have to get some of those artichoke hearts when I go.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Honey goat cheese and Unexpected cheddar! They have a lot of really good cheeses, at prices lower than usual.

Hummus - a dozen good varieties. I recommend getting their sampler, that has 4 varieties in the thingy.

Cilantro salad dressing 2 carbs/2 tbsp (I really love their pear champagne dressing and asian peanut dressing, but they are higher in carbs)

reduced guilt kale and spinach Greek yogurt dip

Canned coconut cream

I dunno if you care about more "regular" items, but they just have a lot of good prices on things like romaine hearts, big bag of 3 for 1.99, huge bag of frozen thin green beans for $1.99.

Btw, there is another Trader Joes thread in the Main Lobby and one from not too far back in Playground (if you go back a few pages) I guess the search buttons dont bring up all the recent threads we've had on this.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Tuna packed in olive oil,organic chicken broth in cartons, almond milk, organic olive oil, almond meal, nuts of all kinds, stevia packets, cheeses galore, (like smoked gouda,goat cheese with herbs, and Dubliner, an Irish white cheddar), kalamata olives, protein powder for making lc fudge, coffee, frozen wild salmon and grass fed beef, eggs, cream, butter, frozen berries, Italian sausage, wonderful sliced turkey, jarred salsa, soy sauce, peanut and almond butter, coconut oil, avocados, organic sweet potatoes, wine.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Thanks you guys! I knew you'd come through. We did a fast run through the aisles and got a few things like almond meal, wine and veges. I'll be able to make one more trip before we leave and I'll make sure I have more time.

Thanks for the tips about the other threads as well. I'll make sure I check them before I go back. Geez, wish we had a TJ closer to home!
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Here's the ongoing thread in the Main Lobby for more suggestions
First Trip to Trader Joe's Suggestions . . . ??
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
One of their olive oils won a taste test in either consumer's Report or America's Test Kitchen. It would be worth looking up as it is much less expensive than others.

I like the TJ's brand jarred tomato basil marinara. Their silver label goat cheese is amazing and about half the price you'd pay at the grocery store. Some of their fruits and veggies are a real bargain and better quality than local grocery stores: cauliflower, cremini mushrooms, romaine 3-pack, red peppers, etc. You have to compare prices since some are not a better bargain.
I love, love love the frozen boreal wild blueberries.
I don't like their almond meal--it's too coarse for my purposes. They used to carry a decent low carb bread, but it is no longer available in my local store.

Have fun shopping--I think we're really lucky to have TJ's!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
I forgot to mention their thick cut bacon, it's great. Also bags of lemons and limes and good deals on other veggies.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
I like their Turkey Bacon. I think it's a lot healthier than the standard brands like Oscar Meyer, etc that have nitrates and nitrites in it.
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Their frozen bags of artichoke hearts and cut up melange bell pepper strips (3 colors). They sell cheesy kale chips in bags but I haven't opened mine yet. Their plain greek yogurt and salsas are very good.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Their frozen bags of artichoke hearts and cut up melange bell pepper strips (3 colors). They sell cheesy kale chips in bags but I haven't opened mine yet. Their plain greek yogurt and salsas are very good.
I want to try those cheesy Kale chips. I think I'll try them next time.

I also love a few non-low carb things like the orange chicken and chicken masala, kettle corn, white cheddar cheese popcorn, and a few other things. I haven't had any of those lately though...yay!
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
This doesn't have to be specific to TJ's, but I love their wedges of Comte Bleu Cheese. I often make bacon bleu cheese burgers with it, and they also sell pitted green olives that I stuff with the bleu cheese. Yum!
They also have the best price on Kerrygold butter, organic hwc, and organic coconut oil.
Their guacamole kits in the produce section are convenient for fresh guac.
I also tried their new liquid stevia but I don't think I care for it. Maybe b/c I am used to used the alcohol free glycerite.
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote