Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
Hawaiian Food Day at Work

We are having a food day at work Friday, theme is hawaiian. Need ideas of what to take.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Pulled Pork??
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I'm assuming you are asking for low carb ideas.... so macaroni salad is out, right?

I would do something like sauteed cabbage with little bits of spam for flavoring... served with pulled pork or BBQ ribs or BBQ chicken with teriyaki sauce (I'm sure there are low carb recipes or versions of teriyaki).

Macadamia nuts are traditional and low carb.

This would probably be a little too adventurous for some people... but Poke is basically cubed up sushi grade fish (ie. its generally raw - like tuna or salmon), marinated with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sometimes avocado chunks are added. Just Google search "poke recipes" and you will get the idea. I suppose you could cook the fish (or at least sear the tuna) first, if you think people would balk at raw fish.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I think pulled pork with a tasty SF sauce that's served on the side would be a really good option actually It's too bad I don't know of anything low carb that adds pineapple flavor to things... but I'm sure you could sweeten with sucralose, and also use xanthan gum or glucomannan or something similar to thicken it if you went that route.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
Poke!
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I have never heard of Poke. Sounds very interesting and would be fun to take something different,but considering i live in a very rural small town----I am afraid it is not possible to obtain tuna or salmon (that is not canned) before Friday. Will have to check that out and consider that for another time tho!! Pulled pork,ribs or chicken might be possible tho! Thank you!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I just came home from Hawaii on vacation.....the Macadamian nuts, fresh fish, spam and pineapple slices was the thing...ofcourse we were not on LC while there so we enjoyed fried catch of the day...or clam chowder mmmm...sorry... Now on LC again... We did hear about the poke but didn't get that...
I think some dish as someone up above said...spam with cabbage with pineapple juice...just experiment with it....or just make pineapple slices cut with a cherry on top...and add the nuts in the middle of the dish...makes a pretty plate....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Just bring a jar of coconut oil and spoon to share
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
i just saw this posted on fb....this sounds yummy! you could sub in macademias for the pecans

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained.
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and pineapple until combined then fold in the pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Take out of refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls; then roll the balls in the coconut. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Yield: about 2 dozen.

Last edited by Amy Lynn; 04-24-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Amy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
It's too bad I don't know of anything low carb that adds pineapple flavor to things...
I've used pineapple sugar-free Torani's when I've needed a pineapple flavor. It works pretty well.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Great ideas!! Thanks, I love this site. And taking the coconut oil with spoon would sure be easy,bet that would bring on a lecture on my WOE. LOL! And they really eat spam in hawaii? Don't think i have eaten that since i was a kid.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
I lived in Hilo on the Big Island for 4 years. Authentic Hawaiian food is generally plain, not highly seasoned or spicy. Fresh fish and pork are popular, as well as traditional Japanese and Portuguese dishes that immigrants to the islands brought with them.

For an impressive (high carb) party dessert, I would take a Hawaiian Chocolate Haupia (coconut) pie. You can easily find all the ingredients for this recipe in your rural grocery store. The amount of cornstarch may sound shocking, but it is necessary to make haupia and must not be omitted or substituted.

Here is a link from a Hawaiian magazine:

How to make Hawaii chocolate haupia pie. Here's a recipe. by Kalei Talwar | HAWAII Magazine | Hawaii news, events, places, dining, travel tips & deals, photos | Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai: The Best of Hawaii

For a low carb recipe, you can make "pulled pork," but in Hawaii they call it Kalua pork, and for it be authentic you MUST use liquid smoke. It is usually wrapped in banana and ti leaves and steamed in a pit, underground, but you can bake it in the oven with foil.

Recipe: 4-5 lb pork butt; 3 cloves garlic, slivered; 1.5 T. Hawaiian salt (or sea salt, if you have it); 1.5 T. liquid smoke.

Directions: poke holes in the pork roast. Insert slivered garlic into the holes. Rub entire roast with salt and liquid smoke. Bake it, wrapped in thick layers of aluminum foil at 325 degrees for about 4.5 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Once the meat cools, shred the meat. If it needs additional salt, you can dissolve 1 T salt in a cup of warm water and mix it a little at a time into the meat until it reaches the desired saltiness. The salted water will also add moistness and flavor.

Have fun at your office luau!
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
lolol... My first thought was to make coconut oil candy.

I'm stubborn. I only take things I would eat for events like this & I usually opt out of them because most of the time all the other foods are things I would not touch.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I've used pineapple sugar-free Torani's when I've needed a pineapple flavor. It works pretty well.
Huh, does it really? I haven't tried any of the fruit flavors yet but I heard some of them taste really artificial and not very good at all... I may have to pick that one up though to try it in a sauce. I totally forgot they made a pineapple one
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lynn View Post
i just saw this posted on fb....this sounds yummy! you could sub in macademias for the pecans

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained.
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and pineapple until combined then fold in the pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Take out of refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls; then roll the balls in the coconut. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Yield: about 2 dozen.
Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I lived in Hilo, too! (Actually HPP), and my favorite was lomi lomi salmon. You chop up smoked or salted salmon with tomato and sweet onion. It's Ono (delicious) and low carb.

I don't know if you can get sushi nori (seaweed wrapper) where you live, but I like to fill it with mashed avacodo, julienne strips of veggies, sometime mashed smoked trout or sardines (Trader Joes) for a Low carb "sushi" which is very common in Hawaii (sushi, but not low carb).

And yes, spam is popular there, slices are used as topping for saimen (basically ramen noodle soup) or on top of a loco moco (a scoop of rice topped with spam, fried egg, and brown gravy). It was also common on plate lunch (meat, pickles, two scoops rice and macaroni salad), in stir fry, and with eggs for breakfast. I guess this started in WWII. You wouldn't find it on the tourist menus, but it's what many locals eat.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
BTW, if you google "low carb Haupia" you'll come up with some very easy recipes for plain Haupia made with gelatin. Haupia is traditionally just coconut milk, sugar, and cornstarch chilled until solid in a brownie pan and sliced into squares. It would be good with gelatin and the sweetener of your choice, if not entirely authentic.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #19
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
Quote:
Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much
you can buy unsweetened coconut and crushed pineapple sweetened with splenda. but in any case, the carb count in one or two of these as a dessert for a low carber isn't necessarily too high for everyone. not everyone is militant about their carb counts.

to each his/her own
Amy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I'd bring a platter with an assortment of goodies: Toasted coconut flakes, coconut bark, macadamia nuts, those coconut/pineapple balls that Amy posted a recipe for, and maybe some fresh fruit. Poke in a few pretty flowers here and there and there you go!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
Janknitz, you were my neighbor! I actually lived in Pahoa. I used to head up your way on weekends to go to the Maku'u Farmers Market. What a blast, heh?

I think your rendition of low carb haupia squares would be delicious and very Hawaiian, indeed.

Aloha,

Cyn
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for more great ideas!! And i bet living in hawaii was a wonderful experience,have not ever had the privilege of going there myself yet. When you ask questions here and receive so many great answers,makes you feel like you are certainly among a great group.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut
and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know
pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lynn View Post
you can buy unsweetened coconut and crushed pineapple sweetened
with splenda. but in any case, the carb count in one or two of these as a
dessert for a low carber isn't necessarily too high for everyone. not everyone
is militant about their carb counts.
to each his/her own
If that recipe truly makes 24, they are only 4g carbs with 2g fiber. And that's
assuming you'd use all the coconut (usually when it's rolled in coconut, there's
some left over). And beyond the carb count, the GI is drastically reduced with
the addition of all the fat in the cream cheese and nuts.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
So what did you end up bringing?
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
I know I'm too late, but I second the low carb haupia. I lived in Hawaii for 8 years in the 80's and a favorite local dish is shoyu chicken. So easy. I use skinless chicken thighs, cover with chicken broth and a big slug of good soy sauce, lots of garlic, fresh or crushed in the jar and a bit of fresh grated ginger. Bring to a boil, then simmer till meat is falling off the bones. You can also do it in the crock pot. It's still one of our favorite chicken recipes.

Dee

Last edited by mojave; 04-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: left out a word
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote