Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Hawaiian Food Day at Work (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/802760-hawaiian-food-day-work.html)

debstin 04-24-2013 04:30 PM

Hawaiian Food Day at Work

We are having a food day at work Friday, theme is hawaiian. Need ideas of what to take.

Mad4Chillas 04-24-2013 04:34 PM

Pulled Pork??

Strawberry 04-24-2013 05:11 PM

I'm assuming you are asking for low carb ideas.... so macaroni salad is out, right?

I would do something like sauteed cabbage with little bits of spam for flavoring... served with pulled pork or BBQ ribs or BBQ chicken with teriyaki sauce (I'm sure there are low carb recipes or versions of teriyaki).

Macadamia nuts are traditional and low carb.

This would probably be a little too adventurous for some people... but Poke is basically cubed up sushi grade fish (ie. its generally raw - like tuna or salmon), marinated with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sometimes avocado chunks are added. Just Google search "poke recipes" and you will get the idea. I suppose you could cook the fish (or at least sear the tuna) first, if you think people would balk at raw fish.

raindroproses 04-24-2013 05:15 PM

I think pulled pork with a tasty SF sauce that's served on the side would be a really good option actually :) It's too bad I don't know of anything low carb that adds pineapple flavor to things... but I'm sure you could sweeten with sucralose, and also use xanthan gum or glucomannan or something similar to thicken it if you went that route.

readyfredy 04-24-2013 05:22 PM

Poke!

debstin 04-24-2013 05:36 PM

I have never heard of Poke. Sounds very interesting and would be fun to take something different,but considering i live in a very rural small town----I am afraid it is not possible to obtain tuna or salmon (that is not canned) before Friday. Will have to check that out and consider that for another time tho!! Pulled pork,ribs or chicken might be possible tho! Thank you!

ladyinlove56 04-24-2013 05:48 PM

I just came home from Hawaii on vacation.....the Macadamian nuts, fresh fish, spam and pineapple slices was the thing...ofcourse we were not on LC while there so we enjoyed fried catch of the day...or clam chowder mmmm...sorry... Now on LC again... We did hear about the poke but didn't get that...
I think some dish as someone up above said...spam with cabbage with pineapple juice...just experiment with it....or just make pineapple slices cut with a cherry on top...and add the nuts in the middle of the dish...makes a pretty plate....:)

Mad4Chillas 04-24-2013 06:04 PM

Just bring a jar of coconut oil and spoon to share :lol:

drjlocarb 04-24-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas (Post 16392075)

:lol:

Amy Lynn 04-24-2013 07:07 PM

i just saw this posted on fb....this sounds yummy! you could sub in macademias for the pecans

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained.
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and pineapple until combined then fold in the pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Take out of refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls; then roll the balls in the coconut. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Yield: about 2 dozen.

Chocolate Rose 04-24-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16391963)
It's too bad I don't know of anything low carb that adds pineapple flavor to things...

I've used pineapple sugar-free Torani's when I've needed a pineapple flavor. It works pretty well.

debstin 04-24-2013 07:45 PM

Great ideas!! Thanks, I love this site. And taking the coconut oil with spoon would sure be easy,bet that would bring on a lecture on my WOE. LOL! And they really eat spam in hawaii? Don't think i have eaten that since i was a kid.

Never Too Late 04-24-2013 08:25 PM

I lived in Hilo on the Big Island for 4 years. Authentic Hawaiian food is generally plain, not highly seasoned or spicy. Fresh fish and pork are popular, as well as traditional Japanese and Portuguese dishes that immigrants to the islands brought with them.

For an impressive (high carb) party dessert, I would take a Hawaiian Chocolate Haupia (coconut) pie. You can easily find all the ingredients for this recipe in your rural grocery store. The amount of cornstarch may sound shocking, but it is necessary to make haupia and must not be omitted or substituted.

Here is a link from a Hawaiian magazine:

How to make Hawaii chocolate haupia pie. Here's a recipe. by Kalei Talwar | HAWAII Magazine | Hawaii news, events, places, dining, travel tips & deals, photos | Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai: The Best of Hawaii

For a low carb recipe, you can make "pulled pork," but in Hawaii they call it Kalua pork, and for it be authentic you MUST use liquid smoke. It is usually wrapped in banana and ti leaves and steamed in a pit, underground, but you can bake it in the oven with foil.

Recipe: 4-5 lb pork butt; 3 cloves garlic, slivered; 1.5 T. Hawaiian salt (or sea salt, if you have it); 1.5 T. liquid smoke.

Directions: poke holes in the pork roast. Insert slivered garlic into the holes. Rub entire roast with salt and liquid smoke. Bake it, wrapped in thick layers of aluminum foil at 325 degrees for about 4.5 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Once the meat cools, shred the meat. If it needs additional salt, you can dissolve 1 T salt in a cup of warm water and mix it a little at a time into the meat until it reaches the desired saltiness. The salted water will also add moistness and flavor.

Have fun at your office luau! :sing:

DiamondDeb 04-24-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas (Post 16392075)

lolol... My first thought was to make coconut oil candy. :laugh:

I'm stubborn. I only take things I would eat for events like this & I usually opt out of them because most of the time all the other foods are things I would not touch.

raindroproses 04-24-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16392218)
I've used pineapple sugar-free Torani's when I've needed a pineapple flavor. It works pretty well.

Huh, does it really? I haven't tried any of the fruit flavors yet but I heard some of them taste really artificial and not very good at all... I may have to pick that one up though to try it in a sauce. I totally forgot they made a pineapple one :)

raindroproses 04-24-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Lynn (Post 16392183)
i just saw this posted on fb....this sounds yummy! you could sub in macademias for the pecans

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained.
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and pineapple until combined then fold in the pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Take out of refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls; then roll the balls in the coconut. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Yield: about 2 dozen.

Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much :laugh:

Janknitz 04-24-2013 11:43 PM

I lived in Hilo, too! (Actually HPP), and my favorite was lomi lomi salmon. You chop up smoked or salted salmon with tomato and sweet onion. It's Ono (delicious) and low carb.

I don't know if you can get sushi nori (seaweed wrapper) where you live, but I like to fill it with mashed avacodo, julienne strips of veggies, sometime mashed smoked trout or sardines (Trader Joes) for a Low carb "sushi" which is very common in Hawaii (sushi, but not low carb).

And yes, spam is popular there, slices are used as topping for saimen (basically ramen noodle soup) or on top of a loco moco (a scoop of rice topped with spam, fried egg, and brown gravy). It was also common on plate lunch (meat, pickles, two scoops rice and macaroni salad), in stir fry, and with eggs for breakfast. I guess this started in WWII. You wouldn't find it on the tourist menus, but it's what many locals eat.

Janknitz 04-24-2013 11:52 PM

BTW, if you google "low carb Haupia" you'll come up with some very easy recipes for plain Haupia made with gelatin. Haupia is traditionally just coconut milk, sugar, and cornstarch chilled until solid in a brownie pan and sliced into squares. It would be good with gelatin and the sweetener of your choice, if not entirely authentic.

Amy Lynn 04-25-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16392327)
Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much :laugh:

you can buy unsweetened coconut and crushed pineapple sweetened with splenda. but in any case, the carb count in one or two of these as a dessert for a low carber isn't necessarily too high for everyone. not everyone is militant about their carb counts.

to each his/her own

Knittering 04-25-2013 06:12 AM

I'd bring a platter with an assortment of goodies: Toasted coconut flakes, coconut bark, macadamia nuts, those coconut/pineapple balls that Amy posted a recipe for, and maybe some fresh fruit. Poke in a few pretty flowers here and there and there you go! :)

Never Too Late 04-25-2013 07:41 AM

Janknitz, you were my neighbor! I actually lived in Pahoa. I used to head up your way on weekends to go to the Maku'u Farmers Market. What a blast, heh?

I think your rendition of low carb haupia squares would be delicious and very Hawaiian, indeed.

Aloha,

Cyn

debstin 04-25-2013 02:49 PM

Thanks for more great ideas!! And i bet living in hawaii was a wonderful experience,have not ever had the privilege of going there myself yet. When you ask questions here and receive so many great answers,makes you feel like you are certainly among a great group.

Pami 04-27-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16392327)
Sounds good, but definitely not low carb with both the coconut
and the crushed pineapple in there! Coconut maybe, but I know
pineapple is a low carb no-no pretty much :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Lynn (Post 16392493)
you can buy unsweetened coconut and crushed pineapple sweetened
with splenda. but in any case, the carb count in one or two of these as a
dessert for a low carber isn't necessarily too high for everyone. not everyone
is militant about their carb counts.
to each his/her own

If that recipe truly makes 24, they are only 4g carbs with 2g fiber. And that's
assuming you'd use all the coconut (usually when it's rolled in coconut, there's
some left over). And beyond the carb count, the GI is drastically reduced with
the addition of all the fat in the cream cheese and nuts.

Knittering 04-27-2013 09:32 AM

So what did you end up bringing? :)

mojave 04-28-2013 11:10 AM

I know I'm too late, but I second the low carb haupia. I lived in Hawaii for 8 years in the 80's and a favorite local dish is shoyu chicken. So easy. I use skinless chicken thighs, cover with chicken broth and a big slug of good soy sauce, lots of garlic, fresh or crushed in the jar and a bit of fresh grated ginger. Bring to a boil, then simmer till meat is falling off the bones. You can also do it in the crock pot. It's still one of our favorite chicken recipes.

Dee