Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Disguising the Flax Seed Meal Bread Taste

I eat lots of flax seed bread, but I only like it when the actual flax flavor is masked by something else. For example, I eat it for breakfast with SF maple syrup, lots of butter, and whipped cream.

If I have it just as toast, with some butter, I don't care for the flavor.

Has anyone got some recipes for flax bread that disguise the taste? Make it taste like banana bread, for example??

Thanks.

This is my basic flax bread recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups flax seed meal

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

.5 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1 Tablespoons erythritol

5 beaten eggs

3 drops liquid splenda

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I use a lot of cinnamon when I make the one minute muffins with flax seed meal. I also sometimes add some DaVinci syrup (vanilla, caramel, chocolate, praline, almond or banana flavored). Other options would be to make it more savory with garlic, onion powder, rosemary, etc.

Options are endless! Good luck!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
You'd need to sub out at least half of the flax for another "flour" to really cover the grassy taste.
Try a combo of 1/3 each flax, almond and coconut flour maybe?
I've read lupin flour is really good, haven't tried it yet.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
This is Linda Sue's recipe for banana walnut muffins. As you can see she uses twice as much almond flour as flax, so that might be the answer for you.

BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup golden flax meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped,
1 cup granular Splenda
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon banana extract
1/2 teaspoon caramel extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs
In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, nuts and Splenda. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the extracts, cream and water. Add the dry ingredients and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 6 muffins. Can be frozen

Per Muffin: 280 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
PS – I made only 4 muffins with this batter instead of 6.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
And this is my recipe for sandwich buns that I got from a flax thread on this board. Again, it uses other flour substitutes to mask the flax flavor.

Onion Garlic Buns
4 tablespoons golden flax
2 tablespoons oat fiber
4 tablespoons unflavored whey protein
teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon glucomannan
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon splenda
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional*

1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons water
3 eggs
cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin top pan lightly with cooking spray.

In a small bowl mix together all dry ingredients. In another small bowl, mix wet ingredients, add cheese and mix again. Mix wet ingredients with dry.

Pour into muffin top pan and bake for 11 minutes. Makes 6 buns.

* if using caraway seeds, cut back or omit onion and garlic powder
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I use to make the muffins many many years ago and I agree you will probaly want to add another flour. My liquid was Davinci or Torani syrups to change flavors.I'm not really sure what you would use to change but it is an idea .

You might want to try coffee instead of water. Good luck Al.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I agree, all flaxmeal breads have a taste I'm not so fond of. These below I think disguise that taste somewhat: The first couple are my favs. Lots more on my website that have a little coconut flour and almond flour also, but I don't know if you eat those items or not.

PEGGY'S INDIVIDUAL CHIA BREAD
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-bread-mw.html

PUMPERNICKEL RYE FLAX ROLLS
Post #2 in this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...variation.html

GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH BREAD

c. + 1T. flax meal, preferably golden flax meal
1 T. butter
2 T. sour cream
1 egg, beaten
tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. oat fiber
Pinch salt

Melt 1 T. of the butter in microwave in a small mixing bowl. Add beaten egg and sour cream. Add all dry ingredients and stir well. Dip into square microwaveable container and microwave on HI for 70 seconds or until dry to touch in center. Cool a minute and tip out onto cutting board. Laterally slice as evenly as possible with a long knife. Melt a little butter on non-stick griddle and baste one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice on griddle, buttered side down. Add 1 slice of your preferred cheese (I use American or Swiss) and top with second slice of bread, buttered side up. Brown well on both sides. The browner it is the crisper it will be.

Makes 1 sandwich. Bread + 1 slice cheese contains:

617 calories
56.1 g fat
17.7 g carbs, 13.2 g fiber, 4.5 g NET CARBS
19 g protein
756 mg sodium
53% RDA Vitamin A, 43% B12, 38% calcium, 58% copper, 45% iron, 49% magnesium 52% manganese, 74% phosphorous, 40% riboflavin, 53% selenium, 60% thiamin, 36% zinc and 454 mg potassium

LOW-CARB FLAX BREAD

1 c. flax meal (golden, or mixture with dark)
1/3 c. oat fiber
1 c. unflavored, unsweetened whey protein
tsp. salt
1T + 1 tsp. baking powder
7 eggs
1 c. shredded Mozzarella, Jack or Parmesan Cheese
1/3 c. water
3 T. olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients and cheese in large bowl. Add eggs, water and oil, beating eggs well until batter is well blended. Line 1315 sheet pan with parchment. With a rubber spatula, spoon batter onto parchment, spreading from the center out to the edges, as evenly as possible. I sprinkle caraway seed over half the bread so I can have both types of bread: plain and rye. Bake for around 18 minutes (every oven is different), until center is dry and springs back when touched. Avoid over browning. Cool and cut into 12 equal slices. This recipe rises enough that you can actually slice it laterally and get a sandwich (2 slices) out of each 1/12th slice of this bread! It freezes well but remember to never freeze bread longer than a month, ANY bread, low carb or otherwise.

Each slice (1/12 recipe) contains:

264 calories
20.15 g fat
11.4 g carbs
9.97 g fiber
1.43 g NET CARBS
16.8 g protein
307 mg sodium
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
1. did you see they have found a correlation between flax consumption and prostate cancer? I immediately stopped making flax muffins for my "older" husband upon reading the research. it's not conclusive, but it's troubling.

2. I suggest a mix of 1 part flax meal, one part oat fiber, and one half part whey protein isolate as your basic "flour" in something like this.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I made these rolls yesterday and they are outstanding. So much like real bread and they puff up so you can slice them for a sandwich. My old favorite is the cheese rounds but these are much lighter and fluffier. Thanks
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
1. did you see they have found a correlation between flax consumption and prostate cancer? I immediately stopped making flax muffins for my "older" husband upon reading the research. it's not conclusive, but it's troubling.
Yes, I've seen that, but have decided that, on balance, flax seed is beneficial. Those studies have very mixed results. Flax seems to have helped me get my blood pressure down to normal values.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jamesd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
I eat lots of flax seed bread, but I only like it when the actual flax flavor is masked by something else. For example, I eat it for breakfast with SF maple syrup, lots of butter, and whipped cream.

If I have it just as toast, with some butter, I don't care for the flavor.

Has anyone got some recipes for flax bread that disguise the taste? Make it taste like banana bread, for example??

Thanks.

This is my basic flax bread recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups flax seed meal

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

.5 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1 Tablespoons erythritol

5 beaten eggs

3 drops liquid splenda

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
I use a tablespoon or so of pesto in place of some of the oil. I can't even taste the flax taste. I also make the bread with chopped onions and black oil cured olives.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote