Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Aren't the TJ's frozen wild blueberries the Wyman's brand? If so, our Costco is carrying a pretty big bag of them now too - 4 lbs. I think.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, now I'm gonna have to try a blueberry bagel. Man that sounds good. No berries in the house right now though.
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Oh, man, you're gutsy to use whey-soy protein. Now THERE's an aftertaste I just cannot abide........I hate anything with soy flour or soy protein in it. Must mean the bread tastes pretty good if it can hide THAT. LOL EagleEyes.

LOL Yes it is really good !!! I made them again tonight. I didn't use the Mrs. Dash and they were still wonderful. There's absolutely no aftertaste. I'm interested in making this a sweet treat now. So I will be checking back for more ideas.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
How long of a baking time are you looking at for the different shapes, ladies? (I have a terrible time with lc baking, still, figuring out when things are done!)

Even better, if someone has an instant read thermometer and takes something out of the oven at the perfect moment, just let me know what the temperature was.

Thank you!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did every one of my different shapes 20 minutes as the recipe states, except the muffins, took 25 min. to get done. you want them dry to the touch and slightly firm, but not overly browned. I find over-browning dries out LC breads.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-31-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
OK, I'm about to make these.

I have a quick question: When you say 'grated' cheese, do you mean the shredded cheese, or the cheese that's grated so fine it looks like powder? I've seen too many places where people meant shredded, so I want to be sure. Awaiting a response so I can get baking.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't care for the real fine shred stuff. I always use the coarser grated cheese.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I use shredded cheese. I put it in my food chopper and chop it up into small pieces. If you're using block cheese you can use a food chopper or grater.

I'm not sure what everyone else is using.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I use shredded cheese. I put it in my food chopper and chop it up into small pieces. If you're using block cheese you can use a food chopper or grater.

I'm not sure what everyone else is using.
Thanks, Gina

I have lots of shredded cheese. What's a food chopper? Lol. Sorry, haven't heard that term before. I think what I'll do then is make the pieces smaller. I have a food processor, a large one and a very small one for chopping up nuts and such.

Tracy
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't care for the real fine shred stuff. I always use the coarser grated cheese.
Thank, Peggy.

I'm not sure what you mean by coarsely grated. Sorry. Do you mean the more powdered-looking cheese? Or the piecer, longer cheese?

I'm still learning some of these terms. I appreciate your help

Tracy
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've only ever seen grated in two sizes: what I call a larger, coarser grate; and a fine wispy grate. I just don't know how else to explain it. I DO NOT use the finest grated cheese for anything.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
If I just need a cup or so, I use my 4-sided box grater. For Peggy's bread, I plan to use the food processor and grate/chop a lot of mozzarella, Monterey jack and white cheddar to have on hand (pretty sure once I try it, I'll be making this bread quite often).
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I used bagged, pre-shredded cheese when I made this recipe. It worked fine.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

I actually really like the cheeses done in the food processor. Instead of longish 'shreds' I get kind of smallish 'balls' lol. Anyway, I noticed the little balls are easier to manipulate when topping a casserole, for instance.

Good to know about the pre-shredded, tho, We've never bought it.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Peggy, we love this bread. I made a flax free batch yesterday for myself. I

subbed 1/4 cup Bob's wheat bran for the flax. I also added one Tbls buttermilk

powder, left out the vinegar. I sprinkled dried basil and a few Tbls of King

Arthur Flour's Cheddar Cheese Powder on top before baking. We just had

sandwiches with the bread, sliced deli turkey, smoked gouda and avocado.

Fantastic. I heated the bread up in the toaster oven for a few minutes, and it

warms it up just right. The texture of the bread is wonderful. My husband

couldn't stop commenting on how great it is . I could serve this bread to any

one and they would never know it is low carb. I'm bringing the makings for

several batches when we go to Colorado this month to visit our little grand

children. The kids will love it and their parents will , too, especially because

they are big on eating Gluten Free. Thank you!!!!: hugs:

Dee
Good to see a flax free version. But is wheat bran gluten free?
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Can't wait to try this!
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Good to see a flax free version. But is wheat bran gluten free?
I don't believe it is Ladeeda. So wheat bran would not be a good sub if one is celiac and must stick to 100% gluten-free. For someone who isn't GF, and I assume Dee isn't, that sub would be harmless. Wheat bran sure would change the carb numbers per serving though, but I'm sure Dee has done that for her version.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
I don't think it is either. 1/4 cup of wheat bran has 10 grams carb, 6 grams fiber, so 4 net carbs. I don't eat any other wheat products, except for sharing an occasional pizza at Bill's in Palm Springs with my husband. NOT low carb friendly.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Cant wait to go home and double this recipe so I won't have to make any more soon. I will just pull it from the fridge as needed
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

I love this bread!

Peggy, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I made this recipe two nights ago. I was so confident it would be amazing that I immediately made a double batch. It did not disappoint.

I followed the original recipe, except I used mozzarella for 2/3 of the cheese, and cheddar for the rest. I ended up with 6 bagels (made in a donut pan), and 5 rolls (made in a muffin top pan). I Pamed the pans well, and everything could be easily removed from the pans when done baking.

They were a thing of beauty I have pics, but I haven't been a member long enough to post them here.

I've already eaten 2 bagels and 2 rolls. They are so beyond nommie.

I will probably make a x4 batch the next time I make these.

Question: you girls have mentioned making sweet bagels, like those with blueberries in them. What cheeses do you use in those? I probably wouldn't use cheddar as that, I would think, would be a bit too strong there. What did you use when making sweet bagels?

Thanks again, Peggy

Tracy
Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

So excited for you, Tracy! I finally have everything I need gathered together and got out my rubber baking thingy - it even has rulers on it!

I had the same question on the cheese. I googled to see if I could learn what the very mildest cheese is and all I got was confused. Some I had never even heard of.

I grated a brick of mozzarella and a brick of Monterey jack -- they tasted similar to me lol. I wonder, for the sweet treats, could we use something like cottage cheese? Guess we'll have to experiment.

Good job on the double batch!!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Tracy - I'd use Monterey Jack if I was making a sweet version. This is a wonderful recipe, I just had a smoked turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich for dinner on one of the buns I made with garlic and onion powders and parsley - it was wonderful! I just can't say enough about this recipe, you can make so many variations and I've yet to have anything that didn't turn out perfect, first try!

Peggy, you're a genius! I may never make another bread. Well, I probably will but this has sure taken top spot in my regularly used recipes.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
So excited for you, Tracy! I finally have everything I need gathered together and got out my rubber baking thingy - it even has rulers on it!

I had the same question on the cheese. I googled to see if I could learn what the very mildest cheese is and all I got was confused. Some I had never even heard of.

I grated a brick of mozzarella and a brick of Monterey jack -- they tasted similar to me lol. I wonder, for the sweet treats, could we use something like cottage cheese? Guess we'll have to experiment.

Good job on the double batch!!
Thanks, Beth Definitely make these. I think you'll it.

Let us know how yours turn out

Tracy
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Tracy - I'd use Monterey Jack if I was making a sweet version. This is a wonderful recipe, I just had a smoked turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich for dinner on one of the buns I made with garlic and onion powders and parsley - it was wonderful! I just can't say enough about this recipe, you can make so many variations and I've yet to have anything that didn't turn out perfect, first try!

Peggy, you're a genius! I may never make another bread. Well, I probably will but this has sure taken top spot in my regularly used recipes.
Tweaker, that sounds so yummy. I love onion and garlic. I'll have to try a batch with onion powder. I think even small pieces of onion in the batter would be good too. Kinda like an onion bagel .

This recipe is such a keeper

Tracy
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, now I'm gonna have to try a blueberry bagel. Man that sounds good. No berries in the house right now though.
Peggy, Wyman's makes canned blueberries with no sugar added. I bought a couple of cans. I have way too much in the freezer and fridge. Canned works for me in this case.

Tracy
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Tracy - did you use the unflavored protein powder for your first attempt? I bought several -- unflavored whey, pea protein and an eggwhite protein powder.

I'm thinking of returning the pea protein powder. I thought I was buying unflavored, but when I got home I saw that I'd accidentally picked up the vanilla flavored. It's 9g carbs for 2 scoops, whereas my unflavored whey is only 1g carb for 1 scoop.

The eggwhite protein powder I bought is vanilla flavored, too -- I thought I might could use that if I wanted to make a sweet version of the bread.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
Tracy - did you use the unflavored protein powder for your first attempt? I bought several -- unflavored whey, pea protein and an eggwhite protein powder.

I'm thinking of returning the pea protein powder. I thought I was buying unflavored, but when I got home I saw that I'd accidentally picked up the vanilla flavored. It's 9g carbs for 2 scoops, whereas my unflavored whey is only 1g carb for 1 scoop.

The eggwhite protein powder I bought is vanilla flavored, too -- I thought I might could use that if I wanted to make a sweet version of the bread.
Beth,

Yes, I did use unflavored whey protein powder. It was the NOW brand from Netrition.

I believe Ginaaaaa uses pea protein in some of her baking. Hopefully she'll see this and chime in.

Using the vanilla flavor for sweet recipes sounds like a great idea. I have some here, so I may try that when I do a sweet version. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 06-05-2013 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks girls. I'm blushing here. It's the only bread I'm making these days. It's just so good. The salami and cheese sammie I made this week tasted just like a good deli SW. No funny bread taste at all. I'm so glad everyone is liking this recipe so much. Grilled cheese on a buttered griddle is going to be my next use to test out. We'll see how it compares to my crispy Grilled Cheese (sour cream) bread. That one was pretty darn good for getting toasty.

Smiles, I agree with Tweaker, I'd use all Jack for any sweet versions. It's the mildest tasting cheese I know of, all Mozzy would be almost as good and a bit cheaper.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Peggy, I want you to know that today I had the best low carb fast food lunch ever

I took a few slices to work with me. I ordered a half berry almond salad w ranch dressing and wendy's grilled chicken sandwich swapped the bread . The sandwich was amaaaaazzzzing!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I have been using unflavored pea protein in my baking and like it just as well as whey protein.
I usually use mozzarella in this bread because I can get a big bag of it at my grocery store. I'm picking up some blueberries today so I can make blueberry bagels. I will report back after I make them.
I really want to make an everything bagel too!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote