Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks for the tip for using the leftover bread as breadcrumbs TG!!

I get so excited when I think of different sandwiches to make lol you're right, it doesn't take much to make us happy!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Some more incarnations of this bread:

Made a double batch recipe and it made 7 muffin-top like buns, 6 bagel-like rolls and 3 muffins. I added a tsp. of my "sofrito" to the muffins and YUMMO! The muffins took an extra 5 minutes cooking time. Here are the pics of everything The first two pics are the bottom and top view of the bagels (made in a large doughnut pan):

Last edited by buttoni; 05-26-2013 at 01:50 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
OMG, Peggy, those look amazing!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been wanting to see if this batter could be cooked as a muffin Tweaker, and am please they DO, with only 5 more minutes cooking time. I filled the muffin cups just over half full. Maybe I'll push my luck and try filling 3/4 full next time. I'd like them to look a little taller/bigger. But that's all the batter I had left. I like how the bagels look shiny, lie real bagels.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peggy - did you put spices in the bagels or is that cheese pieces that I see? I loved onion bagels and will try these with onion flakes real soon. I only have one slice of the bread left so I'll be making more in the next day or so.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's just the grated cheese. I just used the basic bread recipe. I'm sure they'd be fantastic with onion bits. I'm going to try some with my 8-seed crust topping.

I sliced a couple bagels and melted Tillamook cheddar cheese in the broiler on them today and they were great that way. I think I'll try grilling a regular grilled cheese, browning the cut side in a skillet in some browned butter and see if ti toasts up a bit.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Made a double batch recipe and it made 7 muffin-top like buns, 6 bagel-like rolls and 3 muffins. I added a tsp. of my "sofrito" to the muffins and YUMMO! The muffins took an extra 5 minutes cooking time. Here are the pics of everything The first two pics are the bottom and top view of the bagels (made in a large doughnut pan):

Oh, Peggy! I am drooling

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Smiles. I was surprised how good the dab of sofrito was in the muffins, with just butter hot from the oven. Will try again with other muffin seasonings my next batch. Nice little dinner rolls, those are.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-27-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

I made the bagels Peggy, and they're yummy. They go well with eggs or as a snack. Next time I'm going to try making different flavors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pretty, Miss Gina. I haven't tried one toasted with jam/jelly yet. I had a split, toasted bagel with sausage gravy on it today. Yum. Tasted like I was having it on real toast. I'm really liking the new bag of Honeyville coconut flour I bought. I find it a much nicer product and grind than the Lets Do Organic brand I have been using for a couple years. It's making for a very nice, smooth texture on the final baked goods. I didn't even know they carried it until recently. Either I've been overlooking it or it's new to their product line.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-27-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, Peggy and Gina - did you make the bagels with coconut flour? I thought this was from the focaccia bread dough which is made with almond flour and flax. Am I missing something?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry if my off-topic comment on Honeyville coconut flour confused you off TG. I was speaking totally off-topic. I did indeed use the original focaccia recipe in post #1. No coconut flour in the above baked goods.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made the bagels Peggy, and they're yummy. They go well with eggs or as a snack. Next time I'm going to try making different flavors.
Oooo, Gina! What's the texture of these bagels like? Are they at all crispy?

Tracy
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

They do get a little crispy when toasted, not crunchy though and they're not as chewy but they do have a little chew to them and make a nice toast or bagel sub.

I actually used cheddar cheese for that batch and liked them just as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
This is the best lc bread ever!!! Thanks Peggy there is no awful aftertaste.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you tried it EagleEye. I do find it the most neutral tasting of all my bread recipes. I'm going to start doing further experimenting with this batter. Had a couple interesting ideas today I'd like to try next, but need to eat up what I have baked right now first.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm staying tuned, Peggy, I love it when you experiment!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
I just wanted to add that I used Mrs. Dash tomato,basil and garlic seasoning because I didn't have the ingredients for the 8 seed spice blend. Also the only whey protein I had was a whey-soy protein combination and the bread still came out great. I'm just excited about this recipe.

This is going to make vacation soooo much more enjoyable.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, man, you're gutsy to use whey-soy protein. Now THERE's an aftertaste I just cannot abide........I hate anything with soy flour or soy protein in it. Must mean the bread tastes pretty good if it can hide THAT. LOL EagleEyes.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I was at it again today ladies. I made the bagels, just the plain recipe, then I made sandwich buns with onion and garlic powders and parsley, then a pan of flat bread with the 8-seed spice mix blended right into the dough rather than sprinkled on top. My kitchen sure smelled good! The two little skinny pieces I'm toasting to have with dinner as breadsticks.

I know I've told you before, Peggy, but I love this recipe!!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Well, I was at it again today ladies. I made the bagels, just the plain recipe, then I made sandwich buns with onion and garlic powders and parsley, then a pan of flat bread with the 8-seed spice mix blended right into the dough rather than sprinkled on top. My kitchen sure smelled good! The two little skinny pieces I'm toasting to have with dinner as breadsticks.

I know I've told you before, Peggy, but I love this recipe!!
WOW! Those look so beyond good I need to make some of those bagels. I'd love the sandwich buns too. They're beautiful, Tweaker.

Tracy
Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Girls,

Are you tweaking the batter at all when you make this bread as rolls or bagels?

I really want to make the bagels, and I have a donut pan I could use.

For the rolls, I imagine you use a muffin top pan?

Does this batter hold its shape well, or does it spread much?

Oh, and which size pan you use for the bread please?

Thanks

Tracy

Last edited by Smiles; 05-29-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, Tg, THOSE ARE THINGS OF BEAUTY!

Tracy, I don't alter the recipe one iota for the bagels. The batter is very thick and when made as a sheet bread, I have to force shape it with a spatula or fork. Doesn't spread hardly at all when baked. The Bagels I filled my donut pan circles pretty full, about 3 rounded teaspoons of batter per slot if I recall. When I make the sheet, I force it into a rectangle 10"x13" just like the recipe says, and I use my ruler to get that shape on my silicone-lined pan. A smaller rectangle will make thicker bread, so shape it as you like. I don't want to have to slice it laterally, so 10"x13" is about right to end up with bread that is about 1/4" thick.

I don't own a muffin top pan so I make my small rolls and biscuits in a non-stick ebelskiver 7-slot pan I bought a couple years ago. It confines the batter nicely to a fixed shape that is easy to slice. I filled the slots 2/3 full, as this batter doesn't rise all that much.

Last edited by buttoni; 05-29-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Oh, Tg, THOSE ARE THINGS OF BEAUTY!

Tracy, I don't alter the recipe one iota for the bagels. The batter is very thick and when made as a sheet bread, I have to force shape it with a spatula or fork. Doesn't spread hardly at all when baked. The Bagels I filled my donut pan circles pretty full, about 3 rounded teaspoons of batter per slot if I recall. When I make the sheet, I force it into a rectangle 10"x13" just like the recipe says, and I use my ruler to get that shape on my silicone-lined pan. A smaller rectangle will make thicker bread, so shape it as you like. I don't want to have to slice it laterally, so 10"x13" is about right to end up with bread that is about 1/4" thick.

I don't own a muffin top pan so I make my small rolls and biscuits in a non-stick ebelskiver 7-slot pan I bought a couple years ago. It confines the batter nicely to a fixed shape that is easy to slice. I filled the slots 2/3 full, as this batter doesn't rise all that much.
Thanks so much, Peggy I can't wait to taste these.

Tracy
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

TG, those look great!! I need to make the muffin top buns next! I also want to make a sweet bagel, maybe with blueberries and an everything bagel like I use to get at Duncan Donuts.

So many ideas!! Love the pics!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Tracy, Peggy and Gina. It's fun to make different shapes and change the seasoning in this bread.

I filled my donut pan full, right to the top, for the bagels; I did use a muffin top pan for the sandwich buns and filled that pretty full also. I use a cookie sheet for the bread, just free form with silicone spatula to the size of the pan, smaller pan (9x13)=thicker pieces, larger pan (10x15)=thinner pieces. I do line my cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Peggy - my dough isn't so thick that I have to force the shape, it spreads pretty easily with the spatula. It is a sticky dough though.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

I usually put my dough on parchment paper then cover it with plastic wrap and roll it out to the thickness I want when I bake it on the sheet pan. I filled my donut pan almost to the top too.

What kind of cheese is everyone using? I mostly use mozzarella because I always have it on hand.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina - I love Everything Bagels, I thought about trying those also, today's are just plain but maybe next time. I'll definitely be watching for your results.

I used Monterey Jack and mozzarella in the bagels and buns but only had about 1/4 cup of jack cheese left by the time I got to the bread so I used Jack, mozzarella and Mexican blend.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #149
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Oooooh blueberry bagels, great idea Ginaaa!

I love using Trader Joes frozen organic wild blueberries in baked goods. I just put a half cup or so full in the fridge the night before I need them and in the morning they are defrosted. I pat dry with paper towels and they work wonderfully. I love that they are small and almost shriveled looking so they work fabulously in baked goods and dont add much moisture. They are excellent in pancakes too.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I usually put my dough on parchment paper then cover it with plastic wrap and roll it out to the thickness I want when I bake it on the sheet pan. I filled my donut pan almost to the top too.

What kind of cheese is everyone using? I mostly use mozzarella because I always have it on hand.
I plan to make the bagels tomorrow and was thinking of using cheddar for at least most of the cheese.

Tracy