Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Anyone else here a big fan of the Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garner?

I ask this because Ina Garner is my all time favorite cook. And she will tell you she's a cook, not a chef. Her recipes are often elegantly simple, very doable and absolutely delicious. (If you want to get to know her, check out her shows on the Food Network---if you have cable On Demand, this is easy to do. LOL, I find her shows so soothing and lovely, I often watch them when I'm having trouble sleeping.)

So when I started up again on a LC woe, I culled from my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks those recipes that suited this woe. She has MANY salads and vegetable sides that fit the bill, and provide such gorgeous variety. But the recipe I want to share in this thread is her recipe for garlic roast chicken:

Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

She also has another roast chicken recipe that is similar and also delicious. Both are very easy to make for say, a weekend dinner. The lemon and garlic roast chicken does include potatoes and carrots, but when we make it I add lots of extra chunks of onions---which get so sweet and delectable I don't miss not eating the potatoes and I only have a carrot or two. The gravy is made WITHOUT flour, and is so darn delicious I don't have the words.

This is a great recipe when you're cooking for others who are not on a Low Carb woe. Everyone ends up happy.

Her recipes are not so quick and easy you'll make them day in day out, although some of her salads and veggie dishes are that doable. But some of her recipes are the best out there for fabulous, doable entertaining on a LC woe, or just making a special weekend family dinner.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Istillhatepeas
Stats: 5'9 295/267/1st goal 250
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart 2/18/13
I adore Ina! She has a good low carb shrimp recipe, and of course some recipes can be easily modified to be low carb. Sometimes I find her recipes a tad salty, but that is an easy fix.
Istillhatepeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I enjoy her show too .....
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istillhatepeas View Post
I adore Ina! She has a good low carb shrimp recipe, and of course some recipes can be easily modified to be low carb. Sometimes I find her recipes a tad salty, but that is an easy fix.
Yes, I'd say that salt is the one place she overdoes it. The woman LOVES salt. So be it, as you said, it's an easy fix.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
Totally enjoy watching the chefs on the cooking channels. Gives me new ideas and most recipes can be tweaked to our way our eating. Otherwise I seem to get stuck in a rut!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/168.5/140 5'4"
WOE: NK
Start Date: yep
Not salty! "Well seasoned..."

I love her too - I DVR her everyday and I think I've seen them all about 10 times.
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera View Post
Totally enjoy watching the chefs on the cooking channels. Gives me new ideas and most recipes can be tweaked to our way our eating. Otherwise I seem to get stuck in a rut!
Me too, nera. I'm not much of a cook---my husband is a great cook. But I love food, and love watching it being prepared. If you haven't checked out the Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garner's show, check it out on Food Network.

Her recipes are the best imo, and I love watching her prepare her dishes with such skill---although she make it look so easy. And yes, great to keep the Low Carb recipe file growing. Boredom is my biggest enemy on this woe.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Not only love her and her shows but her HOME looks so inviting and the gardens are magnificent.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but her name is Ina Garten not Garner. I'm kind of a stickler for getting names right.

I really like watching her shows too. I like that she and Jeffrey, her husband, seem so well suited, she likes cooking things to surprise him.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-18-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but her name is Ina Garten not Garner. I'm kind of a stickler for getting names right.

I really like watching her shows too. I like that she and Jeffrey, her husband, seem so well suited, she likes cooking things to surprise him.
I was just about to come in and say something about her name lol. I'm a stickler for that as well.

I made one of her dip recipes, it was so good. I've got it on my blog somewhere.

Ina Garten Herb Dip

Last edited by MsWoods; 04-19-2013 at 06:39 AM..
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

You are so right! And I know that, as I watch her all the time and have a couple of her cookbooks. Typing too fast and not thinking as I do.

And boy, if there's anything to re-incarnation I want to come back as Jeffrey for at least one of my lives. My mouth is always watering as she serves him one incredible dish after the other, makes him those fabulous little lunches and snacks when he's working, or puts together one of her incredible picnics for the two of them.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Haven't watched her since she refused that little boy's Make a Wish request to meet her because she was too busy.
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Didn't know about that, so I googled. Apparently it all ended well with her granting the wish.

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't know about that either. I'm glad she made it right!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I didn't know about that either. I'm glad she made it right!
Hey Tweaker, as long as you're here, I hope you'll check back in on this thread again, because I'd really like to edit my misspelling of Ina's name in this thread, but can't figure out how to do it, even though I've combed the resources here to try to figure it out.

Is it possible to edit the title of a thread, and/or words within your initial post?
If so, could you help me out? Because I would like to make it right, as I agree with you, it's good to get it right.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
Haven't watched her since she refused that little boy's Make a Wish request to meet her because she was too busy.
I was just thinking about that....that was a pretty crappy thing of her to do.. the kid just loved her show, took notes when he watched it, cooked the recipes with his mom....she said she was too busy to have some kid in the kitchen and was sure he would understand....His mom said he was heart broken.. Then I heard she had a change of heart and decided to let him visit her, but I never heard anything about it after that....Kinda lost respect for her after that...but I agree, anything I have ever made from her shows has always been delicious!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
I was just thinking about that....that was a pretty crappy thing of her to do.. the kid just loved her show, took notes when he watched it, cooked the recipes with his mom....she said she was too busy to have some kid in the kitchen and was sure he would understand....His mom said he was heart broken.. Then I heard she had a change of heart and decided to let him visit her, but I never heard anything about it after that....Kinda lost respect for her after that...but I agree, anything I have ever made from her shows has always been delicious!
I just became aware of this today, from a post on this thread. Again, i learn so much here! I was happy to find she made it right.

It's hard to have a favorite, and/or hero, in any category, as most will be proven imperfect in some way. I'm glad I didn't know about this till I found out she had stepped up and corrected herself, as it would have bothered me had she not. I too have strong convictions about these things, and have participated in my share of boycotts against those who I feel don't reflect the values I believe in.

OTOH, she did make it right in the end, and I guess I'm going to give her a pass on this. Her recipes are delicious, and a great gift to anyone who appreciates great cooking with whole foods. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt based on this gift she shares.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Is it possible to edit the title of a thread, and/or words within your initial post?
You get about an hour after you post where the "edit" button at the bottom of the post will allow you to make changes.
After than, you have to email a Moderator ([COLOR=#0066cc]Dottie[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]cheri[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]Maryposa[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]FatCat[/COLOR]) to make any changes and they can do it.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #19

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
You can click on the red triangle with the ! in it under your stats and ask a mod to change it.

I used to like her, but she gets really old really fast. She doesn't seem to have any idea of how real people live and all of her friends are pretentious...the males all gay and the females all just as phoney as can be. That forced fake laugh of hers really gets on my nerves these days.

I suspect that Geoffrey has a secret family in the city since he only comes "home" on the weekends.
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
You get about an hour after you post where the "edit" button at the bottom of the post will allow you to make changes.
After than, you have to email a Moderator ([COLOR=#0066cc]Dottie[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]cheri[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]Maryposa[/COLOR] , [COLOR=#0066cc]FatCat[/COLOR]) to make any changes and they can do it.

Thanks Strawberry, this answers my questions. Since I long ago passed the time I could edit without moderator intervention, I guess I'll just leave it as is, and remind myself to double check my spellings next time. I really appreciate you explaining this to me.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
You can click on the red triangle with the ! in it under your stats and ask a mod to change it.

I used to like her, but she gets really old really fast. She doesn't seem to have any idea of how real people live and all of her friends are pretentious...the males all gay and the females all just as phoney as can be. That forced fake laugh of hers really gets on my nerves these days.

I suspect that Geoffrey has a secret family in the city since he only comes "home" on the weekends.
Thanks for the heads up on what that little red triangle means, new here and learning my way around.

As for the rest, to each their own. I don't notice what you do, I just see the food and how she prepares it. And I really don't care who her friends are, and I certainly don't care how many of them are gay. And to be honest, I'm really not much interested in speculation about her husband either.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
She doesn't seem to have any idea of how real people live and all of her friends are pretentious...the males all gay and the females all just as phoney as can be.
I dunno... its all staged for a TV show. Who knows what really happens when she has a dinner party. I mean, they arent going to show an intimate, meaningful conversation on a personal topic between her and her best friend on a food program.

I like her programs... I mainly watch for the food and recipes, not the dinner party filler or who is gay. And her recipes seem to be well-tested, and they always come out good for me (which is more than I can say for many recipes).

Quote:
Geez...Jeffery happens to be a professor at Yale (former dean) and head of a large financial consulting firm... they have two houses, one in Connecticut and one in the Hamptons. I think the more likely reason for him "coming home on weekends" is his travel schedule related to work.

Last edited by Strawberry; 04-20-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I dunno... its all staged for a TV show. Who knows what really happens when she has a dinner party. I mean, they arent going to show an intimate, meaningful conversation on a personal topic between her and her best friend on a food program.

I like her programs... I mainly watch for the food and recipes, not the dinner party filler or who is gay. And her recipes seem to be well-tested, and they always come out good for me (which is more than I can say for many recipes).

Geez...Jeffery happens to be a professor at Yale (former dean) and head of a large financial consulting firm... they have two houses, one in Connecticut and one in the Hamptons. I think the more likely reason for him "coming home on weekends" is his travel schedule related to work.

I like her food and house and envisioning visiting the Hamptons it looks beautiful. She is so lucky. Her and all her gay friends and the awesome flowers and gourmet foods they bring her.

I heard the make a wish thong was a scheduling thing that she did make right.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hey Tweaker, as long as you're here, I hope you'll check back in on this thread again, because I'd really like to edit my misspelling of Ina's name in this thread, but can't figure out how to do it, even though I've combed the resources here to try to figure it out.

If so, could you help me out? Because I would like to make it right, as I agree with you, it's good to get it right.
Blue Skies - hi, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I see you're all set on how to edit now though, so thanks to those who answered this for me, I appreciate it. Also, as I said before I wasn't being wise or critical - spelling is just a pet peeve of mine, LOL, I get so angry when I read the paper and see so many misspellings and grammatical errors.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-20-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #25

She turned the kid down twice and only made it right after it hit the press.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
She turned the kid down twice and only made it right after it hit the press.
Ok.....so you don't like her. Now we know.

I still like her show.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I always found her very calming to watch, and enjoy her cooking show. I will have to start watching it again, thanks for the reminder.

That chicken looks yummy!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok.....so you don't like her. Now we know.

I still like her show.
I liked her before and watched her show all the time - call it a boycott, if you will.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I like her recipes, but she does annoy me with all her references to use "good" ingredients.

Good mayo as opposed to what? bad mayo?

I'm not buying it or eating it if it isn't "good" to begin with.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I like her recipes, but she does annoy me with all her references to use "good" ingredients.

Good mayo as opposed to what? bad mayo?

I'm not buying it or eating it if it isn't "good" to begin with.
I'm sure Jeffrey will love it though. hahaha!! (my bad)
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote