Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   help with gravy, please? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/802342-help-gravy-please.html)

islegirl 04-17-2013 02:51 PM

help with gravy, please?

I am having a great time with my new indoor grill but I am tired of dry meat. Even if it's cooked just right it needs a little moistening and I am not a great cook. I still am not brave enough to do things "to taste". Would anyone out there be willing to share with me a low carb recipe for quick and easy gravy or sauce to add to grilled chicken, fish or beef? I would be so grateful.:o:)

nolcjunk 04-17-2013 02:56 PM

Can you take a cooking class? Or, ask someone whose cooking you like to show you?

Meat shouldn't be so dry that it needs gravy and covering it up doesn't really help that well.

I would recommend using a pan with something like bacon grease to make sure that your meat doesn't come out dry.

Rhubarb 04-17-2013 03:42 PM

Luckily low carb eating features a lot of delicious sauces. You could make a little horseradish sauce with some jarred horseradish and sour cream to dip you meat or a compound butter with herbs and a little garlic melted on top. Also, a good salsa or marinara sauce on a piece of meat can be very delicious.

I like to add a little cream to the pan juices and top with some parmesan and fresh herbs. Or, if you're grilling, put a little bit of cream and butter in a pan and melt a tablespoon or so of blue cheese. Top with black pepper. Thee are lots of ways to do this.

You don't have to use much of any of it, just a little bit to jazz up the flavor. Everyone likes a little variety once in a while.

Good luck.

Deosil 04-17-2013 03:51 PM

There are some canned gravies out there that have fairly low carbs and no sugars. I have used canned Franco American Mushroom gravy that has 20 calories and 3 carbs (0 sugars) per 1/4 cup but it is rather high in sodium. I will use this from time to time as a treat when the whole "dry meat" thing starts getting to me. I could make a homemade gravy but I can be time constrained and frankly the less time I think about food the better! lol. I also rather like knowing more precise carbs etc content then making my own and giving it a shot in the dark.

tinamanni 04-17-2013 04:10 PM

I second the compound butter - I like butter and green onions - yummy and great way to up your fat

Or what about bleu cheese and some cream?

Julie1972 04-17-2013 04:25 PM

How about a nice Alfredo sauce made with butter, heavy cream, Parmesan and garlic?

giJ 04-17-2013 04:30 PM

I'm extra-lazy, and don't really wanna learn to make sauce (also, I would overeat), so I either dip in mayo, dressing, or dressing (depending on what it is) or top with Wegmans Finishing Butter (garlic & cheese, bearnaise, or truffle - I haven't tried any of the other flavors). Yum, yum.

raindroproses 04-17-2013 04:31 PM

Butter is great by itself imo too, simply on top of meats... just lightly seasoned (garlic, pepper, a bit of salt) meat with a tab of butter on top makes it nice and moist and delicious if you don't want to put any real effort into cooking up a gravy :)

If you enjoy spicy food, I also enjoy sambal oelek too which is a garlic chili sauce!

Oh, I meant to add too... Land O Lakes has these great new butters that have seasoning already built in! I don't know if you have those where you are, but they're pretty low carb and supposed to be great. I haven't tried them yet myself though :) You just melt them in the pan and saute the meat in that.

Deosil 04-17-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16379569)
. Land O Lakes has these great new butters that have seasoning already built in! I don't know if you have those where you are, but they're pretty low carb and supposed to be great. I haven't tried them yet myself though :) You just melt them in the pan and saute the meat in that.

I did not know about those but I am going to look for them next grocery trip! I am in Canada though and sadly we do not get anywhere near the variety of things you get in the USA. I really hope I can find them in my store.

Mistizoom 04-17-2013 05:14 PM

If you want to add something that is fine, but it sounds like you are overcooking the meat. You might want to buy an instant read thermometer to use on the meat to see when it is cooked to the proper temperature.

kiwistars 04-17-2013 05:20 PM

cook cooler and longer.The meat will be tenderer and moister.I deglaze the pan with a little cream to get a 'milk gravy'. season to taste.

rosethorns 04-17-2013 06:38 PM

These will make you a great cook.I love these butters.They are good to up your fat also.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...or-butter.html

islegirl 04-18-2013 07:42 AM

I'd almost finished answering and thanking each one of you individually but promptly lost the whole reply by "quoting" one of you. Sorry, but I do want to thank you all for taking the time to try to help me. You've given me some good and easy ideas. As for taking a cooking class - no - I've been very sick for almost a year and thus wanted something very quick and easy as I have almost no energy - recovering from steroid use and an auto-immune disease.

rosethorns 04-18-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islegirl (Post 16380613)
I'd almost finished answering and thanking each one of you individually but promptly lost the whole reply by "quoting" one of you. Sorry, but I do want to thank you all for taking the time to try to help me. You've given me some good and easy ideas. As for taking a cooking class - no - I've been very sick for almost a year and thus wanted something very quick and easy as I have almost no energy - recovering from steroid use and an auto-immune disease.

I hope you feel better soon.Here is a thread that will help alot.We have a sticy thread with a lot of really great old threads. Here is one.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...t-recipes.html

This has helped a lot of people.

islegirl 04-19-2013 06:35 AM

Yes, I've used it but thank you so much rosethorns. I appreciate your help. Have a great day! And who knows maybe I'll find something there if I take a second look.

Ginaaaaaa 04-19-2013 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a yummy gravy using Glucomannan and oat flour for the thickeners. I had about 2 cups of chicken stock from a roasted chicken that I cooked down some, then I mixed about 1/2 tsp of Glucomannan with some broth until it was smooth and poured that into the chicken stock, mixed it well, then I mixed about a tbsp of oat flour with some stock and added that in and cooked until thick. Then I added some cream to it and it was nice and thick and creamy. Best gravy I've had in a long time!! The oat flour only added 3-4 carbs for the whole recipe.

I used the rest for a chicken pot pie I made.

Oops just noticed you're looking for a quick and easy sauce. I think you can make a sauce really quick by taking whatever juices are left over from your meat that was cooked and add some butter, lemon juice and spices that you like. You can also add some cream and spices or just use a low carb BBQ sauce. If I think of anything else I will come back!

Click on pic to enlarge

Strawberry 04-19-2013 11:45 AM

Hi Islegirl,

The simplest pan sauce I make is to take Kitchen Basics no salt added chicken broth (this is important, otherwise you will end up with a horribly salty sauce). I put about a cup or so in a pan, and let it reduce until its just a few tablespoons... then I swirl in a pat of butter. Add a little pepper. I dont need to add salt generally. This will make a thinner sauce, but it has a nice body to it from the gelatin in the stock, and is great drizzled over chicken or fish.
You can play around with adding in herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of garlic powder, minced shallots that cook with the sauce as it reduces. whatever you like. A dash of dijon mustard or worcestershire sauce is great. You can use homemade stock as well, its super delish.... but if you are short on time/energy, the Kitchen Basics works just fine.

For a thicken "gravy", you have two options... one is to go out and buy a low carb thickener (like xanthum gum) or flour to use.

For xanthum gum, or other thickeners... I find it easiest to give it a whirl with a hand held stick blender, as I blend it into stock. But you basically just stir it into the warm liquid to get it to thicken up.

For flour, the general rule is to start with about 2 tbsp butter (or other fat) and 2 tbsp flour, place in a sautee pan and stir it around for about a minute or two. It will look like coarse sand. (this is called a Roux) Then add your stock or broth to the "roux", while whisking. there are multiple videos of this on Youtube, if you just search for "making gravy".

Your gravy is going to taste as good as the broth or stock or meat drippings that you begin with. Homemade is the best of course. I like Kitchen Basics for storebought. If you are buying a super cheap brand of canned broth, you can get a "ok" gravy, but dont be surprised if it doesnt come out how you want it. Adding drippings from cooked meat or chicken will add a nice boost of flavor.

Here is how to do it with flour - you would need to sub your choice of low carb flour

islegirl 04-20-2013 05:14 AM

This is awesome Strawberry - thank you so much!

islegirl 04-20-2013 05:18 AM

Ginaaaaaa - mmm, this looks so delish. Yes, I wanted something easy but all these suggestions will help so much. And I just happened to find a very easy mushroom sauce in Dr. Atkins "Quick and Easy Recipe" book. Funny that I never even noticed it before and it couldn't be simpler.

Thank you all again - very much!

flossie73 04-20-2013 06:16 AM

I realize you've got plenty to use above. But I thought I'd throw out there the idea of marinating your meats as a way to keep them tender. Toss your meat/protein choice in a small container with enough of your desired marinade to coat or cover it and refrigerate for whatever time you've got, twenty minutes or overnight.

Mistizoom 04-20-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flossie73 (Post 16384098)
I realize you've got plenty to use above. But I thought I'd throw out there the idea of marinating your meats as a way to keep them tender. Toss your meat/protein choice in a small container with enough of your desired marinade to coat or cover it and refrigerate for whatever time you've got, twenty minutes or overnight.

That's a great idea. Brining is another way to keep meat juicy in the first place and help prevent overcooking. Even a half hour of brining can help a lot of meats stay juicy during cooking, especially pork and chicken. Google "quick brine for pork chops" or "quick brine for chicken" for some recipes.

Strawberry 04-20-2013 09:35 AM

I was going to suggest brining as well!

If you search youtube, you can also find videos for making pan sauces... sometimes the step by step helps.

Here is a good one for making a pan sauce - this one adds mustard. You could sub wine instead of the mustard. Or sautee a few shallots before adding the broth. But it will give you the idea.

SkeeterN 11-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16382783)
I made a yummy gravy using Glucomannan and oat flour for the thickeners. I had about 2 cups of chicken stock from a roasted chicken that I cooked down some, then I mixed about 1/2 tsp of Glucomannan with some broth until it was smooth and poured that into the chicken stock, mixed it well, then I mixed about a tbsp of oat flour with some stock and added that in and cooked until thick. Then I added some cream to it and it was nice and thick and creamy. Best gravy I've had in a long time!! The oat flour only added 3-4 carbs for the whole recipe.

I used the rest for a chicken pot pie I made.

Oops just noticed you're looking for a quick and easy sauce. I think you can make a sauce really quick by taking whatever juices are left over from your meat that was cooked and add some butter, lemon juice and spices that you like. You can also add some cream and spices or just use a low carb BBQ sauce. If I think of anything else I will come back!

Click on pic to enlarge

I have both glucomannan and oat flour. Is the measurements for the capsules of glucomannan the same as the powder?