Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Kelp Noodles Anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/802288-kelp-noodles-anyone.html)

ollie 04-16-2013 08:59 PM

Kelp Noodles Anyone?

I just ordered my first bag of kelp noodles. I'd love to hear any tips you have for preparation (do you boil, soak, add lemon, etc.). Also, if you have any recipes using these, I'm all ears.

If you tried these and didn't like them, please share why. Thanks ;)

pocahontas 04-17-2013 09:14 AM

Im interested in the responses you get. I havent tried them yet but I am intrigued! :D

Gibbs 04-17-2013 12:46 PM

LOVE them!!! My favorite concoction is...

1/2 # sausage, crumbled, fried, drained
1 bag of the kelp noodles, drained and cut to desired length
1/5 of an 8oz brick of cream cheese
A handfull of shredded mozz cheese

Throw it all in a pan on medium-low until the cheese melts, add some garlic and pepper. Sometimes I also add chili seasoning. And that's about 2-3 servings, depending on how hungry I am :)

Gibbs 04-17-2013 12:49 PM

On a side note, if you cook them too long, the water cooks out and they shrink drastically. But the more you cook them, the less crunchy they are.

Nelle Belle 04-17-2013 04:37 PM

I have a opulent bags. Haven't tried them yet. Do I want them crunchy? And what do they taste like? Seaweed?

tofucheez 04-17-2013 05:19 PM

I don't like them. The crunchy factor and I think they taste a bit weird (bitter?). That being said, I know I could learn ways to prepare them that would be tasty, but they're too darn expensive for me to do that.

ollie 04-18-2013 06:11 PM

Ok, I have to update. Cooked them last night for dinner and they were AMAZING! So much better IMO than Shirataki noodles. They are crunchy right out of the bag. I made an Asian stirfry similar to japchae, with onions, garlic, julienne carrots, pepper, and green beans, I used ground round for the meat, added some chopped tomatoes, 2splenda, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and sesame oil. Mmmmm, so good.

I rinsed and soaked with the juice of a lime for about 7 hours, then simmered in boiling water for about 10 minutes, drained and then added to the stir fry. They softened up nicely.

this is going to be a new LC staple for me, so filling and just picks up the taste of what you're cooking it.

buttoni 04-18-2013 08:13 PM

I don't care for the crunch factor, myself. I prefer shirataki noodles. But I'm glad you liked them! This is the only recipe I've done with kelp noodles.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...p-noodles.html

ollie 04-18-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16381940)
I don't care for the crunch factor, myself. I prefer shirataki noodles. But I'm glad you liked them! This is the only recipe I've done with kelp noodles.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...p-noodles.html

Thanks for the recipe. Looks yummy.

Nelle Belle 04-19-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollie (Post 16381780)
Ok, I have to update. Cooked them last night for dinner and they were AMAZING! So much better IMO than Shirataki noodles. They are crunchy right out of the bag. I made an Asian stirfry similar to japchae, with onions, garlic, julienne carrots, pepper, and green beans, I used ground round for the meat, added some chopped tomatoes, 2splenda, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and sesame oil. Mmmmm, so good.

I rinsed and soaked with the juice of a lime for about 7 hours, then simmered in boiling water for about 10 minutes, drained and then added to the stir fry. They softened up nicely.

this is going to be a new LC staple for me, so filling and just picks up the taste of what you're cooking it.

Did you just soak in lime juice or water and lime juice?

Charski 04-19-2013 07:55 AM

I'm not a fan of them - something just too "off" about them for me.

OTOH I'm not a big fan of shiratake noodles either UNLESS I'm using them in an Asian dish, like my buta kimchee - they seem to "fit" for that use.

I've made DH some chicken noodle soup with the shiratake which he really likes too.

BUT isn't it nice to have so many options now, and find one that works for you, which you really enjoy? :up:

Nelle Belle 04-19-2013 04:10 PM

Cooked with sesame oil added soy sauce. I was surprised I liked them. Not so much naked. They remind me of glue residue when you remove labels.

ollie 04-20-2013 06:37 PM

Hi Nelle, I soaked them in a bowl of water with the juice of one lime. On a side note, I had a serving left and put it in the fridge for 2 days. Microwaved the leftovers on 1/2 power until hot --- they were even more delicious, almost completely soft and almost identical to a cellophane noodle. LOVE!

I took a ride out yesterday to my local Korean store and stocked up. Got them for $1.79 per bag - score!

tofucheez 04-21-2013 04:49 AM

Ollie-

major score! if I could get them that cheap I'd definitely find ways to love them. I've only seen them here for about 4 bucks a bag.

ollie 04-22-2013 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just made low carb BiBimBap using these babies. It was AMAZING!!!

ollie 04-22-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16385332)
Ollie-

major score! if I could get them that cheap I'd definitely find ways to love them. I've only seen them here for about 4 bucks a bag.

Netrition sells them for $3.09 a bag. Not bad at all ;)