Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
It does come from a site that sells coconut flour-
as in everything, we need to make our own decisions
and come to our own conclusions...

It is referenced by a site that sells coconut flour and coconut products but wasn't written by them.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I know she pushes coconut flour as a better alternative but she does not own a factory or business that makes or sells it. The article came from her website/blog which details her journey to health.

I'm also experimenting with lupin flour and I completely replaced the almond flour in The Chicken Lady's cornbread with it and pork rind flour and it actually makes a better product. It's tastes more like the southern style (non-sweet) cornbread I was raised on.

I asked the author of Science of Skinny what her opinion was of lupin flour and she responded that it looked like a good product to her (aside from the allergy concerns) and wanted me to keep her informed of my experiences with it. She had never heard of it herself.
Pam, I'm interested in your version of the cornbread! Did you replace the cornmeal (pop corn meal - in her recipe) with the pork rinds, or did you use some type of cornmeal, and the Lupin & pork rinds were both replacing the almond meal.
I don't dispute her findings per se, but like I said, I do take it with a grain of salt. (Agreeing with RVCook that what "they" find healthy or unhealthy keeps changing, and going back & forth. Sigh!!!) But, as I also said, I've tried to use as little almond meal in a recipe as possible (well, use little anyway), mainly because I felt it rather carby, and afraid it was more fattening for me! But I did, and still do use it. Now that I've found Lupin, I think I will be using it even less.

Can you share your version of the cornbread recipe? As I said, I'm very interested!! I've never made ChickenLady's recipe, cause it had so much almond flour, AND the cornmeal, which I try my best to stay away from. That is one thing I've noticed will cause a gain for me quickly is even a small amount of corn meal! (I was really afraid that even the pop cornmeal would affect me that way!)
I've tried several different "cornbread" recipes, and tried coming up with my own, and tho I do make some of them at times, nothing has quite "gotten there". I (& my husband in particular) too prefer my/out cornbread unsweet!! (Southern style, but unsweet!!)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
This is such a great thread! Thanks for starting it, Pam. I love that we can all have a DISCUSSION on subjects like this without it degrading into name-calling and ugliness.
Char - that's because we are intelligent people who are FRIENDS and friends don't do things like that! I agree that this is a great thread, I really appreciate and respect everyone's opinion.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
When I break down and get different foods then I find out I cannot eat it. I'm glad that Netrition has the lupin flour, cause I want to try a small amount to see if I can handle it.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Char - that's because we are intelligent people who are FRIENDS and friends don't do things like that! I agree that this is a great thread, I really appreciate and respect everyone's opinion.

I totally agree with you guys. I appreciate all the information everyone is contributing here.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
You know what, I don't buy this "news". I use almond flour, oat flour (GF and shown to bring down cholesterol levels) and a titch of coconut flour in my gluten-free bake mix. I'm sure my family and I consume more almond flour per week, than most of people do in 6 months, and we have done so for many years now - ever since I started writing low-carb cookbooks in 1998.

If almond flour is so BAD for the thyroid, why has my thyroid function improved so markedly in this time?

FACT: My thyroid has improved consistently, and all this time since 1998 I've been consuming almond flour, in HUGE amounts! I want to know why my thyroid (Hashimoto's) has gotten better to the point where when once I was taking the equivalent of 120 mcg of thyroid hormone each day, now I can barely manage 12.5 mcg twice a week!

CRP (Inflammation) Levels:

My 25 year old son LOVES my baked goods and his CRP (measure of Systemic Inflammation levels) when tested 7 years ago and then again recently (keep in mind he was still living at home and was my principal taste-tester for baked goods), were ZERO and still are!! Very few people ever get that low. Mine are never zero thanks to Hashimoto's antibodies skewing the results but since Jon is so healthy, his CRP levels are a better indicator that almond flour has not hurt him. Incidentally he also ONLY drinks Almond milk.

Acne worse with Almond flour:

Actually I suffered with break outs for 15 years and when I went low-carb, my acne disappeared - literally disappeared! Almond flour causes acne? - definitely not in my case.

As for weight problems going off gluten:

I weigh no more and no less than before and my struggles with weight are about the same (my life revolves around food as I develop 100's of recipes and I like to eat!), however, going off gluten has helped my husband with his blood pressure and his weight. Both my sons are thin and muscular as well, so it didn't hurt them. My youngest son has the body fat % of an athlete and he is a body builder as well.

Almond flour slows the metabolism?

We have a few authors that are really BIG into baking with almond flour - Carolyn, Ginny and Maria and guess what? They are super-skinny! They use almond flour predominantly and have for years. Hmm, almond flour slows the metabolism? I think not.

Promotes estrogen?

I'm finding I need estrogen these days. It's depleting so fast thanks to menopause approaching. If almond flour was helping me, it sure is not evident. Actually, I was kind of hoping at least that accusation is true , as I need all the help now that I can get. Sadly, it isn't.

PAM showed us that "It does come from a site that sells coconut flour-
as in everything, we need to make our own decisions
and come to our own conclusions..."

I totally agree - this does sound like they have an agenda - i.e. to sell more coconut flour! Steal some of the market share away from Almond Flour. Making $'s is a dirty business folks, see it for what it is. Look at the SUGAR INDUSTRY shennanigans through the years.

Folks, If coconut flour was better and also healthier, I'd buy it and use it more - Almonds and almond flours are EXPENSIVE and for me, my major expense in recipe development. I'm pragmatic. I used to use high-gluten wheat flour many years ago, and I switched. I see no compelling reason to switch to coconut flour and ditch almond flour.

Speaking of which, coconut flour - the taste and texture:

I am sure coconut flour is okay for some but if any of you have tasted purely coconut flour baked goods - some of them leave a LOT to be desired! In fact, I found this same article (5 reasons to avoid almond flour) and made the young lady's coconut flour pancakes that looked seriously good from the photo and description. I had to throw all the pancakes in the garbage. To me they were inedible and she had raved about them being her favorites. The texture was completely off and the taste ... I could not tolerate it! And, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being honest. This lady, Lauren (not our Lauren), has written a book using coconut flour and obviously believes in the product and her book very much (to be fair we use coconut flour a lot as well in our cookbooks, but also several other "flour" products, not the least of which is almond flour). For me there is no point to producing low-carb recipes whose taste leaves a lot to be desired - people will vote with their taste buds, and so will I. I'm not a fan of most pure coconut flour baked goods, but if you are, then that's a good thing for you. I just think it is really mean to completely make people uncomfortable with using almond flour which has been so useful in the low-carb diet. I mean what are our practical alternatives? Not many. In fact, flax meal (estrogenic - way more than soy by about 800x apparently according to Judy Barnes Baker) has problems, and to be is honest, so does coconut flour (phytic acid to name one thing - almond flour is low in this due to the skins being removed first). However, would I choose most of these alternatives over the adulterated wheat - definitely! It's like my choice to use sugar substitutes over sugar. No contest. If I had eaten sugary baked goods all this time made with wheat flour, I'd be in a lot of trouble by now - as would my family. Instead, 20+ years later, we are all doing great!

There is "theory" and "Innuendo" - then there is "practical experience" and fact" - see it for what it is, a tempest in a teapot.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 04-18-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer thanks for all that info. I myself wasn't trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable about using almond flour. I use it all the time and love baked goods, pizza crusts, cakes, cookies, cereal, and the cheese rounds with almond flour. My only concern with almond flour is the high omega 6 profile. I would never try to tell people what they should or shouldn't eat. I share information but I hope that everyone does their own research and decide for themselves what's best for them.

I use coconut flour as well, it's great in the BTF mix and I use it for chocolate almond joy bars and lots of other recipes. It's good when combined with almond flour as well.

I hope you didn't take offense to anything I've said. I love all your recipes and I use a lot of yours, Carolyn's and Maria's recipes and appreciate all the hard work from everyone.

I personally believe that the caveman diet is the healthiest but who can follow it? No sweets? Sorry, I enjoy them too much! I can't afford to order grass fed meats, I do buy antibiotic and hormone free. I can't give up all grains, I like corn bread occassionally and I just bought gluten free oat flour so I could make Jennifer's bake mix.

We all do the best we can with what we have. I hope nobody here has taken offense to anything I've posted. I'm sharing information, that's all.

I do agree that everyone has their own agenda, that's why I encourage everyone to do their own research.

On a side note, I was diagnosed with thyroid problems and was put on 25mcg of synthroid. I would appreciate any information you can give me and how you lowered your meds.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Thanks for the info Jennifer. I won't totally give up almond flour myself but I will be more prudent in the use of it. Lauren may have an agenda but a lot of what she wrote I had already read about in some other books and I do plan on researching it more.

As a matter of fact just last night I made Banana Bread using Jenn's recipe from the first LCWFs cookbook but instead of making the GL bake mix I used 1 cup almond flour, 2/3 cup lupin flour, 2 tbs coconut flour and 1/2 cup GF oat flour, added an additional egg white (had it left over from making mayo), used 3/4 tsp glucc instead of xanthan and used 1/2 cup MCT oil instead of butter. It is marvelous, even my husband, who doesn't care for bananas, liked it.

Billie, I do use some cornmeal in my cornbread but I do know some people have used ground up baby corn successfully. Here is my recipe:

Lupin Corn Bread

1 cup lupin flour
½ cup pork rind flour
¼ cup cornmeal (Bob’s Red Mill, Medium Grind)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp glucomannan powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

2 tbs oil (I use bacon grease)

Preheat oven to 425°.

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add eggs, and buttermilk and mix well, if too thick or too dry add more buttermilk as needed. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to give the ingredients time to hydrate.

Put an 8” cast iron skillet on burner on medium heat and put the 2 tbs. oil or grease in the skillet. You want the skillet and oil to get hot but watch it and don’t let it start smoking.

After mixture has set for 5 minutes and skillet is hot take the hot skillet and swirl the grease around it to coat the sides and then pour most of the hot grease into mix but leave a thin layer in the bottom of the skillet. Mix the melted grease into the mix carefully and then pour mixture into skillet. It will be thick but try to spread it even.

Place it in the oven and bake at 425° until golden brown. I forgot to time it to see how long I bake it but I like it really golden brown. Next time I will use a timer.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Interesting views and subject...

I won't give up almond flour. Almond flour, along with the bakemixes on this site have been a Godsend for my diabetic husband who finally can have treats. He continues to lose weight while eating good healthy food. As for me, everything is still calories and I know what I personally have to do. For me, portion control and exercise are key. You simply cannot make a meal of 10 cookies or several slices of cake whether they be almond flour or anything else for that matter, and expect to maintain a healthy weight loss. As for my thyroid, I have been on Synthroid for several years now. Eating low carb or consuming almond flour has made absolutely no difference, and my blood work always tests consistent. I do use some coconut flour, but most things have been unfavorable. I make pancakes and some bread rounds that we like on occasion, but really do not prefer it for baking.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for the recipe Pam! Some day I will probably try it using ground baby corn. As I said, It doesn't take much cornmeal to cause me to gain weight. Not much at all!!!
That is one of the reasons I have regained some of my weight & am having such a hard time getting it back off. When I go "back home" every year I end up having to eat fish "breaded" in cornmeal (or go hungry, and I'm not gonna do that!). I always end up gaining. Then I have a hard time losing it again, or I don't! My metabolism is down the drain! Over the years my weight has crept back up, and I credit MOST of it to cornbread & flour breaded fish/meats when I'm down there. I'm sure that is not all of it, but I do think it is MOST of it. And I don't cheat & eat high carb desserts either! That I tell them no on. As a rule I eat very low carb. But I am still battling my weight!!

That being said, I have been on this way of living for 10 years come this Aug, and plan on living a low carb lifestyle. So I do eat a few fruits off & on, & foods such as that that are a little more carby. I do not eat potatoes, pasta (flour pasta), regular white or whole wheat flour, or sugar. I don't eat high carb desserts even as a special treat. The last time I cheated and ate high carb cake was at a friends birthday party and ate a piece of bday cake. UGH!! That was over 9 years ago, and just a few months after I had started low carb (maybe close to a year?). It made me sick, and I decided it wasn't worth it!
I too was diagnosed as hypothroid a couple years ago. I'm on 50mg Synthroid (or actually the generic). Sorry I can't be of any help, cause I still don't understand anything about it! I will tell you that others who have been diagnosed with it for quite a while (and have doctors who actually specialize in thyroid conditions) have told me to take 250 mg of Selenium with my Synthroid. I started doing that probably close to a year ago. I found it somewhere in this thread: How do we hypothyroid people lose weight?
That thread in in the Thyroid forum here at LCF!! I somehow stumbled on it awhile back.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Billie, thanks for posting the link to the thyroid thread!! There's a lot of info on there!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

You're Welcome Gina. And I just realized (too late to edit) that I typed 200mg of Selenium, and it should be 200 mcg!
Actually CarolynF is the one who told me how much & how to take it (according to her endo Dr.).
Old 04-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I find this very hard to believe. My son in law has Crohn's disease and people with this disease have the ultimate in digestive issues and most of them live on almond flour.

My SIL was dieing until my daughter found the SCD diet and it literally saved his life. They eat almond flour and drink almond milk. He had improved so much that within 6 months of going on the diet he was off all his 15 different meds he took on a daily basis and 10 years later he is living a healthy symptom free life. So I'm pretty skeptical when someone tries to tell me that almond flour isn't good for you.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I find this very hard to believe. My son in law has Crohn's disease and people with this disease have the ultimate in digestive issues and most of them live on almond flour.

My SIL was dieing until my daughter found the SCD diet and it literally saved his life. They eat almond flour and drink almond milk. He had improved so much that within 6 months of going on the diet he was off all his 15 different meds he took on a daily basis and 10 years later he is living a healthy symptom free life. So I'm pretty skeptical when someone tries to tell me that almond flour isn't good for you.
Gwen I have a SIL also with Crohns. He is really having a hard time with food. I'm going to check this out for him. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Gwen I have a SIL also with Crohns. He is really having a hard time with food. I'm going to check this out for him. Thanks.
Get the book BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottschall for him. There is also tons of info on the net about the SCD diet. It's not easy to get used to because so much of the food they eat has to be made at home but if you are about to be gutted like a fish the way my SIL was it's a pretty big motivator. My daughter is a CPA and she works for a large corporation and she works long hours. They cook their meals on the weekends then eat out of the frig all week long. He will smoke several chickens, some ribs or a brisket and she makes casseroles and veggie sides and they eat that for supper. She also makes fruit crisps with honey and almond flour and they have that for breakfast.

He was in such bad shape they were talking about removing the major portion of his intestines and he would be pooping in a bag out of his side for the rest of his life.

Ten years later he's off all his meds, still has all his original equipment and living a healthy life because of this diet. It literally saved his life.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 04-20-2013 at 12:49 PM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow that is awesome to hear. He has taken so many things out of his diet and he is now losing the ability to walk 'cause of the meds.I was just looking at her book and the SCD list of foods. It's amazing.

We have been talking about this so much. I wrote down everything so she can get the book.

I can't Thank You enough.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I grew up on home-grown and locally harvested fruits and veggies, local butcher shop meats, and wild-caught fish. Our family was very healthy.
In 1970 I went completely vegan and based my protein on soy—tofu, tempeh, miso—and by the late 80’s had Hashimoto’s. Didn’t know there might be a relationship, but when I learned in the early 2000’s, I quit soy. Still, I ate brown rice and whole grains, dried beans, low fat, etc. and counted calories religiously, but couldn’t lose weight.
2007 I was diagnosed with type II and I tried going low carb. I lost 55 pounds in a year and am still losing very slowly. I pretty much eat anything now in terms of nuts, seeds, low starch veggies, meats, eggs, and fish, and once in awhile, tart berries. I also use glucomannan, coconut flour, coconut oil and olive oil, all of which have undergone some processing. I am happy to have found this WOE and I agree, moderation is the key.

I once read a quote from someone who interviewed a number of thin and overweight people to find out if there was a difference between the way they thought about food. The conclusion was that overweight people would often say, “Before I eat something, I think about whether I should eat it or not. Then I overeat or eat the wrong things and feel guilty.”
Thin people would most often say, “Before I eat something, I think about how I will feel after eating it.”
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I grew up on home-grown and locally harvested fruits and veggies, local butcher shop meats, and wild-caught fish. Our family was very healthy.
In 1970 I went completely vegan and based my protein on soy—tofu, tempeh, miso—and by the late 80’s had Hashimoto’s. Didn’t know there might be a relationship, but when I learned in the early 2000’s, I quit soy. Still, I ate brown rice and whole grains, dried beans, low fat, etc. and counted calories religiously, but couldn’t lose weight.
2007 I was diagnosed with type II and I tried going low carb. I lost 55 pounds in a year and am still losing very slowly. I pretty much eat anything now in terms of nuts, seeds, low starch veggies, meats, eggs, and fish, and once in awhile, tart berries. I also use glucomannan, coconut flour, coconut oil and olive oil, all of which have undergone some processing. I am happy to have found this WOE and I agree, moderation is the key.
After reading this, the part that stood out to me was the foods she ate while growing up, were foods high in omega 3's, when she went vegan and stopped eating the local butcher shop meats and veggies and began eating mostly soy based products and lots of grains, rice and beans, all foods high in omega 6, was when the problems began with thyroid issues and diabetes.
This seems like an affirmation that eating a balanced diet of omega's is healthy but when there is no longer a balance health issues arise. It may not have just been the soy that affected her health.

I was thinking about how different foods affect the body and the brain. I've been reading that the body and brain needs a balance of omega 6 & 3 essential fatty acids to function properly. They can only be found in the foods we eat. It's a lot easier to get omega 6 from the food we eat because its found in nuts, grains, grain fed meats, grain fed fish and the oils we use for cooking, that's not even including all the processed foods people eat, whereas omega 3 is only found in green leafy vegetables, grass fed meats, wild caught fish and fish oil. Most of the foods we eat today have a much higher ratio of omega 6 than omega 3's.
There's other health conditions that can occur other than digestive issues and diseases like diabetes, crohns and celiac disease. Asthma, allergies and mental health could be affected because of the fact that the brain needs the balance of omegas to function properly.
What if the food we eat shows no outward or obvious signs or problems in our bodies and our brains. We do hear about kids with autism and ADD needing to change their diet.
I understand all the circumstances and the people who stopped eating grains and other foods high in omega 6 who have healed their bodies while continuing to eat nuts, but I also understand that there's more to consider besides diseases of the body, there's also the brain and who knows what other problems it can cause having an imbalance of omega 6 and 3's.

Nuts are high in omega 6 and some have very little if any omega 3's, which isn't so bad if you're not eating lots of other foods high in omega 6, and are eating lots of other foods rich in omega 3's but I find it hard to believe that most people are eating lots of grass fed meats, wild caught fish, and green leafy veggies.

Here's an excerpt from Slankers website;

Perform this test yourself. Use Google to search for each of the different mental disorders in the short list below tied together with the word “nutrition. In all cases you’ll find dietary suggestions for curing and/or at least decreasing symptoms considerably.

Here’s your mental disorder search list: Anxiety, Alzheimer’s, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Dementia, Depression, Autism, Hallucinations, and Schizophrenia.

There is one prominent chronic disease that every mental disease seems to have as a possible association. That is a thyroid problem. I did a search using all the various mental diseases tied with “thyroid” and in every case I found there were clinical reports tying them together. Then I did a search using “thyroid” and “omega 3.” BINGO! There appeared scores of reports and marketing literature about the imbalance of the essential fatty acids and health problems with the thyroid gland.

Here's a few examples of the over abundance of omega 6 foods we are eating today.
Remember, our diet is suppose to have a ratio of 1:1 omega 6 & 3's.
Today the modern processed vegetable sources have an estimated ratio of 10 to one. The modern diet of meat, fish, chicken, and vegetable oils has a ratio estimated to be 20 or 25 to one!
Supermarket eggs have a ratio of 19.4 to one

I wanted to share this with anyone interested in learning about which foods have omega 6 and omega 3's.
http://slankersgrassfedmeats.com/HTM...odAnalysis.pdf

I'm not trying to talk anyone into not eating nuts, no more than I'm trying to talk anyone into not eating grains, oils, beans, grain fed meats or grain fed fish. Just maybe bring awareness to the omega essential fatty acids and the affects they can have on our health.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Regarding Omega 3/Omega 6 imbalance: We are talking about inflammation, right? As I mentioned before Jonathan and Daniel grew up on my low-carb almond flour desserts and to this very day Jon's inflammation levels (CRP) equal ZERO each time he is tested. We have not tested Daniel or at least maybe he has had the test, but I've not asked him for the results. He was not a big dessert eater, however, Jonathan loved my desserts and probably ate more of them than any of us.

However, granted when we get older stuff happens to our bodies sometimes (eg. Hashimoto's for me and the resulting inflammation as a result of an autoimmune disease) and we need to be more careful. I take Omega 3 salmon oil capsules every day. You can take them 3 times a day (one with each meal to avoid salmon burps) if you really are worried and that will certainly increase the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. I know that Maria Emmerich, a nutrition counselor, recommends that people take them 3 x a day. She does!

Remember almonds are incredibly heart healthy. They reduce LDL cholesterol and prevent the forming of blood clots which can lead to a fatal heart attack. And, also, do remember almond flour is usually combined with a lot of moisture in our baked goodies. I think it would be very different if one placed the almonds on a cookie sheet and dry roasted them for 10 minutes at a very high temperature. Typically when we bake we use a moderate oven at 350 deg. F. (180 deg. C.) and the almond flour is bathed in eggs, butter or oil and other wet or liquid ingredients.

It really boils down to having your desserts in moderation and taking your Omega-3's and occasionally getting a baseline for your CRP levels.

By the way taking a titch of doxycyline every day - i.e. 25 mg (1/4 of a 100 mg tablet - at this level no longer an antibiotic by the way - does not affect the gut flora) - is a very strong anti-inflammatory approach. It reduces CRP levels by 40% and in my case it did that. It treats gum disease too by the way and makes for easier dental cleanings even if you don't have gum disease. It is also the treatment for Hashi's - for those who have a mycoplasma cause for the disease. My Hashi's is in remission. I have now gone off thryoid hormone completely just a few days ago because it was making me too hyper and causing other problems. I could not even tolerate the 12.5 mcg T4 generic (like Synthroid) lately. I used to take 120 mcg natural thyroid hormone and that would literally make me ill right now. I am not testing hyperthyroid clinically. My TSH is still indicating hypothyroidism. If anyone wants to know more, you can read my full thyroid story with pertinent links on my blog. I haven't updated with this latest development.

Okay, here is a breakdown of the PUFA's in my Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix: A full batch is 320 grams and there are only 23.8 grams PUFA's in the entire bake mix. Remember when baking, we normally use even less than a full batch of bake mix in any one recipe, so even less than 23.8 grams, which is very little anyhow. So, remember to take your Omega-3 salmon oil capsules and you're going to be fine! Enjoy your almond flour and low-carb baking without worrying.

MY BAKE MIX:
ALMOND FLOUR - 182 grams, 1.67 cups
OAT FLOUR - 100 grams, 0.75 cup
COCNUT FLOUR - 38 grams, 0.25 cup
TOTAL --------> 320 grams 2.67 cups

182g of ALMOND FLOUR has in it:

OVERVIEW
Energy (kJ):
4,596.2 kJ
Energy (cal):
1,098.5 cal
Protein:
36.4 g
Fat:
100.5 g
-Saturated Fat:
6.6 g
-Mono-Unsaturated Fat:
65.5 g
-Poly-Unsaturated Fat:
23.8 g
Carbohydrate:
8.0 g
-Complex Carbs:
0.0 g
-Sugar:
8.0 g
Fibre:
16.0 g
Water Content:
6.7 mL

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 04-21-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Regarding Omega 3/Omega 6 imbalance: We are talking about inflammation, right? As I mentioned before Jonathan and Daniel grew up on my low-carb almond flour desserts and to this very day Jon's inflammation levels (CRP) equal ZERO each time he is tested. We have not tested Daniel or at least maybe he has had the test, but I've not asked him for the results. He was not a big dessert eater, however, Jonathan loved my desserts and probably ate more of them than any of us.
There was talk of inflammation from eating almonds in the first post Jennifer. I was talking about the huge omega 6: omega 3: imbalance and the health affects.
Inflammation is just one of the health affects associated with omega deficit. I'm glad your son is so healthy and doesn't seem to be affected by eating all those almond flour baked goods.

People are affected in different ways by the food they eat. I have diabetes, I believe because it runs in my family. I'm the only sibling that has it. All of my brothers and sisters can eat grains, legumes, and all the high carb foods they want with no problems with their blood sugar. So as you can see, foods affect people differently.

Quote:
However, granted when we get older stuff happens to our bodies sometimes (eg. Hashimoto's for me and the resulting inflammation as a result of an autoimmune disease) and we need to be more careful. I take Omega 3 salmon oil capsules every day. You can take them 3 times a day (one with each meal to avoid salmon burps) if you really are worried and that will certainly increase the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. I know that Maria Emmerich, a nutrition counselor, recommends that people take them 3 x a day. She does!
Do you really believe that as we get older its normal to have health problems? I tend to think that if we ate the proper foods we would be much healthier.

I'm not sure what causes hashimoto's but my guess would be eating the wrong foods and not getting proper nutrition. I'm not sure what happened first, the inflammation or the autoimmune disease. I do believe that the thyroid is affected by an omega imbalance.

I've never been really big on taking supplements because without knowing exactly what my body needs, it's hard to judge how much I need to take.

Quote:
Remember almonds are incredibly heart healthy. They reduce LDL cholesterol and prevent the forming of blood clots which can lead to a fatal heart attack. And, also, do remember almond flour is usually combined with a lot of moisture in our baked goodies. I think it would be very different if one placed the almonds on a cookie sheet and dry roasted them for 10 minutes at a very high temperature. Typically when we bake we use a moderate oven at 350 deg. F. (180 deg. C.) and the almond flour is bathed in eggs, butter or oil and other wet or liquid ingredients.
I don't see how almonds are heart healthy or reduce cholesterol. I think there are much healthier foods for heart health. As far as lowering cholesterol, to date there have been no peer reviewed studies linking high cholesterol to heart attacks. Our body makes cholesterol and whatever cholesterol we have in our bodies at any given time is what's suppose to be there. Blood clots are not what cause most heart attacks. A buildup of scar tissue on the blood vessel walls cause restricted blood flow, which leads to a heart attack. Taking statins as a preventative has never been shown to prevent heart attacks and can actually damage the heart. The pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know that though. Millions of people are on cholesterol medication for a preventative, which ate doing more harm than good.

I'm not sure about the heat and almond flour debate but I find it a moot point, although it could just be another reason to avoid them.

Quote:
It really boils down to having your desserts in moderation and taking your Omega-3's and occasionally getting a baseline for your CRP levels.
I think it boils down to knowing which foods are healthy and which ones are not.

Quote:
By the way taking a titch of doxycyline every day - i.e. 25 mg (1/4 of a 100 mg tablet - at this level no longer an antibiotic by the way - does not affect the gut flora) - is a very strong anti-inflammatory approach. It reduces CRP levels by 40% and in my case it did that. It treats gum disease too by the way and makes for easier dental cleanings even if you don't have gum disease. It is also the treatment for Hashi's - for those who have a mycoplasma cause for the disease. My Hashi's is in remission. I have now gone off thryoid hormone completely just a few days ago because it was making me too hyper and causing other problems. I could not even tolerate the 12.5 mcg lately. I am not testing hyperthyroid clinically. My TSH is still indicating hypothyroidism. If anyone wants to know more, you can read my full thyroid story with pertinent links on my blog. I haven't updated with this latest development.
I've never heard of doxycycline but I myself am trying to avoid any and all unnecessary medications. Millions of people are put on meds like cholesterol medication, which has been fabricated by the drug companies very flawed studies which are not peer reviewed and totally biased.

I'm trying to educate people on which foods are healthy and which ones are not. I'm not pushing anything and I have nothing to gain or lose, which is how it should be when promoting health.

Thank you for the PUFA's on your bake mix, but most people already get an abundance of omega 6 in other foods, which causes inflammation and a whole slew of health problems.

Almonds and other nuts are only one food group that affects our omega imbalance. Grains, legumes, vegetable oils, seeds, grain fed meats, grain fed fish all have an abundance of omega 6, while the few foods that should have an abundance of omega 3's such as grass fed meats, wild caught fish and leafy greens are less common place. Vegetables that use to be touted as healthy, ie; cruciferous vegetables like spinach and cabbage are being blamed for thyroid problems. Those vegetables may only be problematic if their not cooked, but people are avoiding them worried that they are causing thyroid issues.

Like I've been saying, I'm NOT trying to talk people into eliminating any foods from their diet. I just think this information is eye opening. Learning about how foods affect our bodies is a huge step in gaining better health. I wouldn't expect anyone to blindly believe everything I post, I urge people to do their own research.

The foods we eat directly affect our health. Knowing and learning how they affect us is a huge step towards better health. I can't see myself or anyone else giving up nuts overnight. I know I won't be, but it's good to have the information.

I'm really happy that your are off your thyroid meds, that's great news!!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Thanks Jennifer Eloff for the stats on your family's health! I don't think even the scientists who study these kinds of issues for a living really have a complete picture of what our bodies do with the foods we eat. I'm not going to track down the links, but if anyone's interested, do a search at Melissa McEwen's blog for her post on phytates and how they probably aren't as dangerous as we've been led to believe and can possibly be beneficial. Also check out Ned Kock's post back in December on the case of the man in the nursing home who lived on eggs and nothing else -- his health was excellent for a man his age, despite the fact that his intake of omega 6's was extremely high from consuming all those eggs. If you are concerned about omega 6 fats in your diet, eliminate vegetable oils, processed food and fast food before you cut out something natural and healthy like almonds, which have minimal omega 6's compared to vegetable oils.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: randm
i know that almond flour has an awful lot of calories, but i have problems with the statement ' Coconut flour is healthier than almond flour
When it comes to grain free baking, coconut flour is my top choice.
Unlike almond flour, the fat in coconut flour is primarily saturated fat. That means it is safe to heat and it is not toxic to the body.'

Coconut is about 50% saturated fat, the fat that sticks to your arteries and clogs them ,how can this be healthier?
randm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Plant saturated fat is associated with less heart disease and many other health issues. It's extremely healthy. And the jury is out on animal saturated fat. As for artery clogging, the culprit seems to be carbohydrates, not fat at all.
This board is here to help people with recipes. You are certainly allowed to disagree with anyone's ideas. When you want help of suggestions for a recipe, just tell us that you won't use coconut flour, or whatever ingredients you wish to avoid, and we can recommend accordingly.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #54
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
This is a silly picture but seriously people really do worry about everything. If I am not going to eat regular flour then I will just accept almond flour. I can't worry about everything.

SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: randm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Plant saturated fat is associated with less heart disease and many other health issues. It's extremely healthy. And the jury is out on animal saturated fat. As for artery clogging, the culprit seems to be carbohydrates, not fat at all.
This board is here to help people with recipes. You are certainly allowed to disagree with anyone's ideas. When you want help of suggestions for a recipe, just tell us that you won't use coconut flour, or whatever ingredients you wish to avoid, and we can recommend accordingly.
ouch!!! I didn't mean it to come across in that way, its just i had higher cholesterol levels and had to reduce them by cutting out sat fats, so was interested to read the reasoning behind this, i use both coconut and almond flour but was concerned about the coconut having so much saturated fats. the original post was not about recipes, which is why i thought it okay to query.
randm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
I have always wondered about almond flour. Just this week I decided to cut back on it in some of my recipes. I made some muffins that had almond flour and coconut flour. I decided to cut back on the almond flour by half and use half lupin flour with the coconut flour they came out great. Think I will continue to change some of my recipes to lupin flour.
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
randm, it's always ok to query. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that it was not ok. It's just that there are a myriad of opinions and lifestyles represented by the people on this board. So it's easier to help if we know what your particular needs are.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I think this is WAY OVERTHINKING using some almonds.

People get so worried about each ratio of this and that in every food.... you can make almost anything sound unhealthy. Go read some vegan sites about meat and animal fats, you'll get the impression you will die from that!
Or try a raw food site - you can learn how heating anything creates all sorts of deadly oxidized compounds that will kill you!

If you are maintaining a healthy weight, and your blood work numbers look good... I really wouldn't get over excited about using some almond flour in a recipe. Its not going to kill you.

Last edited by Strawberry; 06-01-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

I don't recall anyone saying using almond flour will kill you. This is no different than talking about any other food that can be unhealthy for us.

I think people think this thread is some type of scare tactic or that it's demonizing almonds. It's just bringing awareness, nothing more, nothing less.

Soy, fats, carbs, sugar, cholesterol, insulin, these are some of the topics discussed on this forum. I see no reason why we can't discuss almonds.

Omega essential acids play an important role in our health. Almonds aren't the only food that can cause an omega deficit, it's just the topic of this thread.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, no need to shame anyone into thinking their opinion doesn't matter. We are all adults here and should be able to discuss topics and hopefully learn something new or teach something new without fear of upsetting each other.

It's almonds, nothing deadly about them, unless you're allergic to them.