Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Gingerbread Squares (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/802151-gingerbread-squares.html)

Tweaker Geek 04-14-2013 08:18 PM

Gingerbread Squares

I was given a recipe for Gingerbread Coffee Squares that were made with white flour and sugar - plus there is no coffee in them so I don't know why that's in the name other than they're really good with a cup of coffee!:hyst:

I made quite a few changes to the recipe and came up with what I think are very tasty gingerbread bars/squares. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

LC GINGERBREAD COFFEE SQUARES

3 eggs
12 drops EZ-Sweetz
1/3 cup erythritol
1/3 cup xylitol
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses
1/3 cup Ideal brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups Carbalose flour mix
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup poly-D
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
4-5 drops Capella cake batter flavor drops, optional

Heat oven to 325*. Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray, set aside.

In food processor, mix the eggs, EZ-Sweetz, erythritol and xylitol. Add vegetable oil, molasses and brown sugar, process. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and process. In a separate bowl, mix Carbalose flour mix, almond flour, poly-D, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Add to food processor and process till batter is smooth. Add 4-5 drops Capella cake batter flavor drops, if using, and process to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 to 32 mins..

I figure about 3 carbs each for 24 servings.

The original recipe called for 3/4 cup of molasses! As soon as I saw that I was like "whoa, gotta make some changes to that!

Charski 04-14-2013 11:23 PM

Oh man, you had me til the poly-d - cannot do that stuff at ALL!

Sounds so good though and I miss gingerbread.

rosethorns 04-15-2013 10:55 AM

Man that sounded really good until the carbalose.I love gingerbread .YUM!!!

Tweaker Geek 04-15-2013 06:40 PM

Sorry guys! I'm sure you could leave out the poly-D, Char, just add another 1/3 cup of sweetener and maybe an extra egg.

Esther - I think you could sub Jen's gluten free bake mix for the Carbalose mix or maybe even try it with BTF mix, I was going to use that but I always have Kevin's mix made up and I have no problems with it so I do use it often.

rosethorns 04-15-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16375575)
Sorry guys! I'm sure you could leave out the poly-D, Char, just add another 1/3 cup of sweetener and maybe an extra egg.

Esther - I think you could sub Jen's gluten free bake mix for the Carbalose mix or maybe even try it with BTF mix, I was going to use that but I always have Kevin's mix made up and I have no problems with it so I do use it often.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks.:yummy:

Tweaker Geek 04-15-2013 07:22 PM

You're welcome. If you try it with changes would you let me know how it works out for you, please?

Ginaaaaaa 04-15-2013 08:04 PM

Wow, I love gingerbread, I may have to try this with Jennifer's bake mix or the BTF mix!!

Thanks for sharing!

rosethorns 04-16-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16375649)
You're welcome. If you try it with changes would you let me know how it works out for you, please?

Yes I will . I'm thinking of trying this , because I love Chars lemon curd and this would be great with it on it.

Ginaaaaaa 04-16-2013 04:01 PM

http://i48.tinypic.com/11u83ua.jpg

TG- These are so good!! Here are my changes to the recipe. I omitted the erythritol and poly-d and used brown butter because I had some that I wanted to use up and used half and half in place of the buttermilk. I halved the recipe and baked in an 8x8 pan. I would serve these to company. We always had gingerbread cake with a dollop of whipped cream. I know these are bars but the whip cream put them over the top. They have a great gingerbread taste. I just used my hand mixer instead of the food processor. Half a recipe made 9 good sized squares.

2 eggs
20 drops EZ-Sweetz
1/3 cup xylitol
1/4 cup brown butter
1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp vanilla
10 drops Capella gingerbread drops
1 cup BTF mix
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Heat oven to 350*. Spray 8x8 inch pan with non-stick spray, set aside.

Mix eggs, sweeteners, brown butter, molasses, vanilla, gingerbread drops and half and half in a large bowl. In a medium bowl mix the flours and spices until well combined, and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined and spread evenly in pan.
Bake for 35 minutes or until done

Tweaker Geek 04-16-2013 06:48 PM

:clap: Yay - Gina, I'm so happy you like them. I served with whipped cream also. Thank you for posting your changes, I'll try your recipe sometime too.

Ginaaaaaa 04-16-2013 07:51 PM

We loved them!! The spices are perfect too! This is a keeper. :)

Jakelilydad 04-16-2013 09:14 PM

Do you think I could use liquid stevia instead of EZ-Sweetz?

THELOU 04-17-2013 12:24 AM

What is brown butter?

christyjo 04-17-2013 06:38 AM

Ladies, which EZ Sweetz drops are you using, the super concentrated or the other? I use Sweetzfree, which equates to the stronger one. Can't wait to try this recipe!

Thanks,
christyjo

Ginaaaaaa 04-17-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16377849)

If you like the liquid stevia then you can use it in place of the Splenda. 12 drops of Splenda is equal to 1/4 cup of sugar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by THELOU (Post 16377929)
What is brown butter?

It's made the same way as ghee only it's cooked longer. That's how I ended up with the brown butter, I was trying to make ghee and I cooked it too long. You melt butter in a pan and after it comes to a boil you scoop off the foam that forms on the top and then strain off the milk solids that form on the bottom.

Here's step by step instructions that I got from vanessa's blog on healthy living how to.

Start with a pound of unsalted high quality butter. Organic is good, grass-fed is better. Cheap butter has more water as well as chemicals and burns easily.

Not as a hard and fast rule, but to give you a general idea of when your ghee should be done, set your kitchen timer for 30 minutes. Plop your butter in a stainless steel pot, and over medium heat, melt the butter. While it may be tempting to turn up the heat to melt it quicker, don’t give in.

Once all the butter is melted, you will notice three layers forming, a foamy layer on the top, a butterfat layer in the middle and the solids are starting to fall to the bottom of the pan.

The butter is then going to start to erupt like little volcanoes. Turn the heat down to medium-low. We don’t want the butter to burn.

Once the butter is done erupting, it should be at a nice low boil. The foam temporarily dissipates, however, more is going to appear on the top of the surface. Swirl the butter around and take note of what has settled to the bottom of the pan. Those are the milk solids, we want them to “brown” but we don’t want the butter to burn.

With a spoon, remove the foam. It will seem like the foam is never-ending, but take heart, it does end. There might also be a few more butter eruptions, which is fine, it’s the milk solids browning on the bottom of the pan. When the butter stops foaming and you have removed most of it, you now have ghee. Check the bottom of the pan as well, the milk solids should be brown.

When most of the foam has been removed and no more is forming, take the butter off the heat. It is now time to strain the butter.

Place a small mesh sieve over a heat-proof container. I like to use a Pyrex measuring glass as it makes it easy to pour the ghee into the container I store it in. Line the sieve with cheesecloth, or a kitchen “flour” towel, then go ahead and pour the ghee, slowly, into the sieve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyjo (Post 16378320)
Ladies, which EZ Sweetz drops are you using, the super concentrated or the other? I use Sweetzfree, which equates to the stronger one. Can't wait to try this recipe!

Thanks,
christyjo

I used the EZ-Sweetz liquid that 12 drops equals 1/4 cup.

Tweaker Geek 04-17-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16377849)

I'm sure that would work fine. I use the concentrated EZ Sweetz - 24 drops = 1 cup sugar equivalent.

Tweaker Geek 04-17-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyjo (Post 16378320)

Thanks,
christyjo

Sweetzfree is fine. I use the concentrated EZ-Sweetz.

christyjo 04-18-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info on the sweetener, will be making this real soon, I have both Carbalose and BTF mix, just no Capella flavors in either one, probably will just skip. I do have the graham cracker flavor, it may work, or just some buttery emulsion. Yum!

christyjo

Tweaker Geek 04-18-2013 04:05 PM

I bet the buttery emulsion would be good. Let us know what you end up doing if you think of it.

drjlocarb 05-06-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16377349)
http://i48.tinypic.com/11u83ua.jpg

TG- These are so good!! Here are my changes to the recipe. I omitted the erythritol and poly-d and used brown butter because I had some that I wanted to use up and used half and half in place of the buttermilk. I halved the recipe and baked in an 8x8 pan. I would serve these to company. We always had gingerbread cake with a dollop of whipped cream. I know these are bars but the whip cream put them over the top. They have a great gingerbread taste. I just used my hand mixer instead of the food processor. Half a recipe made 9 good sized squares.

2 eggs
20 drops EZ-Sweetz
1/3 cup xylitol
1/4 cup brown butter
1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp vanilla
10 drops Capella gingerbread drops
1 cup BTF mix
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Heat oven to 350*. Spray 8x8 inch pan with non-stick spray, set aside.

Mix eggs, sweeteners, brown butter, molasses, vanilla, gingerbread drops and half and half in a large bowl. In a medium bowl mix the flours and spices until well combined, and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined and spread evenly in pan.
Bake for 35 minutes or until done

Spot on Ginaaa!! :high5:

I did add 1/8t. more of each of the spices and it came out just right for me.

Thanks.

Tweaker Geek 05-07-2014 08:11 AM

Thanks for bumping this up drjlo, I haven't made this recipe in a long time, maybe time to do it again!