Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline78
Stats: 226/185.8/154
WOE: Low Carbs
Start Date: April 2013
Having Trouble Eating!

I am finding it very hard to eat which is so different from my usual state.
I did calorie counting for quite a long time and was always ready for my next meal but since being on this low carb diet my appetite has diminished a lot.
The last week my carbs have been in the 60s mark and calorie intake 900-1000. I have increased the amount of food like chicken, cheese and meat but not to any great extent as it just does not appeal to me at all!
Having said all that.. I do have to almost force myself to have food and can go nearly all day on just a banana.. I am worried that I may find myself being very ill if this continues. I am 78 and not in the best of health to begin with.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Emmaline78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
You nutrients, vitamins and minerals from something...What food do you enjoy...do like drinks like shakes...not the ensure kind nut some you could blend up that have vitamins added or make egg cream shakes with your banana maybe. I am no expert but you need vitamins and minerals to stay healthy, feed your organs and maintain heart health...not to mention the havoc eating only a banana a day could be wreaking on your blood sugar levels.
Cocentrate on the foods you enjoy and make a low carb version of them.
If you can't find a recipe or concoction at least list what you do enjoy eating not the the things you don't like or we can't help as easily.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for that.. and I do like nuts and have noticed that brazil nuts have low carbs as well.

Btw, am posting here at 5.30 in the afternoon noticed that you must be up quite early today.. am I right?

Well done on your loss.. Fab!

Last edited by Emmaline78; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My question is - why are you trying to eat on a low carb lifestyle if you don't enjoy it? Not being snarky, just wondering!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
My question is - why are you trying to eat on a low carb lifestyle if you don't enjoy it? Not being snarky, just wondering!
Valid point there Charski!
The fact is I have been on a calorie counting diet for a long while and my weight loss became NIL so I have changed to this LC which is having a fair result.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Ah! OK, I get it now.

Well, which plan are you following? Atkins, South Beach, JUDDD, or ??

We'd love to help you figure out what you can eat that actually DOES sound good to you, so give us some ideas about things you enjoyed while calorie counting, or which plan and what stage, and we can maybe make some helpful suggestions for you.

I LOVE Atkins, but I've always been a big meat eater, and love my cheese, cream, avocados, grilled veggies etc. so for ME this is a perfect fit.

If, OTOH, you're more about starches, fruits, etc. then something else might work better for you.

We're all ears! (Eyes?! )

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I am just counting carbs so not following anything in particular.
I have started my own journal on here and am posting all my meals each day... but as I stated I am having to eat because it is "necessary" rather than ever feeling that I am getting hungry.

This is my link:

Emmaline's Way to GO!!

Last edited by Emmaline78; 04-14-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
There are times when people go through the not wanting to eat phase...it ususally passes...although you are not what is considered very low carb so I don't know if you should be experiencing this. If you enjoy nuts have some a couple times a day as long as they don't stall you. I hope there are other food you enjoy because that is a hard one to try and give food suggestions for.

Really think about it and also browse the recipe rooms or even ointerest for low carb food ideas...I never get tired of looking up recipes.

If you are a good cook and you come up with a good idea post it so we can try it.

just don't let yourself get weak from not eating or bored from not eating a variety or this will never work.
If you are struggling with meat because it is bland, my new fav way to cook chicken or pork is fake n bake...brush mayo on meat and coat with a mixture of parmesan cheese and pork rinds at 375 for 20 min per side. tasty and moist. Any grilled or pan fried meat is good with melted butter and seasonings like thyme and garlic or onion.

Keep us posted.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
If it's too personal, say so. But I'm wondering if your reference to your own health, "not in the best of health to begin with", is in reference to just weight or some other issue, such as diabetes?
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
If you are eating enough fat then I would say that is why you are not hungary.

I use to eat when I was suppose to , so that I would remember to eat. I think we all go through this at one time or another.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossie73 View Post
If it's too personal, say so. But I'm wondering if your reference to your own health, "not in the best of health to begin with", is in reference to just weight or some other issue, such as diabetes?
I wouldn't want to bore you with my list of ailments but I am diabetic T2 which is just diet controlled, I am spina bifida and have ankylosing spondilitis with arthritic spinal problems and fibromyalgia so am in a fair bit of pain every day.
I was taking co-codamol for some time but with the side affects of terrible constipation plus I didn't think it was having much affect anyway, I decided to stop them and just take paracetamol and naproxen and put up with the rest. I also feel that it was one of the reasons I was not able to lose weight at all for the last couple of years even tho' I was only eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day.
I have also started having weekly massages which I am sure has helped too.

Sorry if this is rather a long posting ..but you did ask!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
You are most likely in ketosis which is why you have no appetite! Ketosis is a good place to be!

As another person mentioned, it might be wise to see if maybe The South Beach Diet or another specific program might be more to your liking. Check out those specific threads that are listed on this board...good luck!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
You are most likely in ketosis which is why you have no appetite! Ketosis is a good place to be!

As another person mentioned, it might be wise to see if maybe The South Beach Diet or another specific program might be more to your liking. Check out those specific threads that are listed on this board...good luck!
Thanks I will do that.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Just to update...Thankfully am much better and appetite renewed.
Went thro' a few days of suffering with acid reflux due to having had a bit of a binge on too much sweet stuff. Put on a few pounds but have now lost that and have lost a wee bit more as well...

For those of you that suggested different types of diets... I really don't like being tied down to any regime and prefer to just hunt out my own way and keep account of all the nutririon facts and figures using a particular forum that does it all for you.

Thanks for all your kind posts.

Last edited by Emmaline78; 04-26-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
thanks for coming back and updating us....I was worried about you! The main goal is health, really, right? And if you're not eating you're not going to be healthy. I am glad it has resolved for you. Good luck with everything
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote