Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Almond Flour or Meal - how much should I buy and how much should I pay? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/802015-almond-flour-meal-how-much-should-i-buy-how-much-should-i-pay.html)

greybb1 04-13-2013 12:57 PM

Almond Flour or Meal - how much should I buy and how much should I pay?

Haven't really done a lot of LC baking, but I saw a couple of recipes that I would like to try that call for almond flour. One is Chicken Lady's recipe for cheesecake with an almond flour crust and another is for some almond crackers.

Almond flour is expensive! So I've got a couple of questions...
Are almond flour and almond meal the same thing?
Blanched or not blanched?
What's a good price?
How much should I buy? I like to cook and I would hate to be trying recipes and run out, on the other hand if I don't like the things I try I would hate to have 5 pounds of it sitting around the house.

Shipping cost isn't a consideration since I'll probably end up buying it from the A place. I have a Prime subscription.

All opinions are welcome! & any hints or recipes would be great!

rosethorns 04-13-2013 03:57 PM

Unblanched almond meal is not the same as blanched almond flour.

I have used unblanched almond meal for a long time. I really liked it .

Now I will only use blanched almond flour because of the finesse to the final baking product you get in baking.

Mistizoom 04-13-2013 04:52 PM

I have Prime shipping but I don't order almond flour from Amazon because I don't think the prices are very good there. Different brands of almond flour can vay a bit in quality. I usually get blanched, though I've used Trader Joe's unblanched for breading and it was fine. I would stick with almond flour for most recipes as almond meal could be more coarsely ground (though some flours are labelled "almond meal flour" - those should be ok). The brand I currently am using is FunFresh Foods California Almond Flour (gluten-free). A lot of places online do have free shipping with a certain amount spent.

Ginaaaaaa 04-13-2013 05:05 PM

Blanched means that the skins have been removed and results in a lighter crumb in baked goods and is called almond flour. Unblanched means the it has been ground with the skin on and results in a heavier baked good and is called almond meal. I prefer the blanched almond flour myself.

If you're not sure if you will be using it much you may want to try a smaller size before you buy a large amount to see if you like it and will be using it enough to justify buying a lot.

I use it for the chicken ladies carrot cake and chocolate cake, pie crusts, pizza crusts, pancakes so I buy the big bag of honeyville grains almond flour and keep it in the freezer and keep a container in the fridge.

lazy girl 04-13-2013 05:37 PM

I use both the meal and the flour. I've tried three brands of flour and my favorite is from nuts.com. It is very white with a fine texture. My dh really thought that everything made with it was better. The price is competitive with honeyville as well as other source. Honeyville is extremely popular. We just had great success with the nuts.com source.

ravenrose 04-13-2013 07:14 PM

for the applications you mention, the meal is much much cheaper and good. it is coarser, so makes a crust more like a graham cracker crust in texture, which is usually what those recipes are aiming at. Same thing for the crackers, a little texture improves them.

If you see it being used where you would normally use white flour, the blanched almond flour is a better bet. But it costs about $10/lb as opposed to $4/lb for the meal.

cfine 04-13-2013 08:00 PM

I also buy from honeyville online. If you order a 25lb box you can get it for $5 per pound rather than $10 per pound. I just store it in my freezer. It's a big investment, but so worth it when it comes to baking cakes. Since purchasing the almond flour, I haven't used almond meal since.

watcher513 04-14-2013 03:53 AM

Hmm, I use blanched from honeyville also and they just had a 20% off sale last week. Other times, it's 10 or 15% off. I always wait for a sale. However, so far, if I'm making a crust I usually just grind up almonds myself in the food processor so I haven't used a recipe yet that needs the blanched for that. I'm sure that'll come along. Some of the cracker recipes would/should be fine with almond meal (Trader Joe's maybe [Just Meal]as they're really reasonable and if there's one around your). I'd think you could try something local in the almond flour (Bob's Red Mill maybe, I think most stores have that, also here at netrition) and first see if you even like it. Then, invest from somewhere online. I agree, the prices aren't as good at A.

lazy girl 04-14-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16371606)
for the applications you mention, the meal is much much cheaper and good. it is coarser, so makes a crust more like a graham cracker crust in texture, which is usually what those recipes are aiming at. Same thing for the crackers, a little texture improves them.

If you see it being used where you would normally use white flour, the blanched almond flour is a better bet. But it costs about $10/lb as opposed to $4/lb for the meal.

I use about a pound of the meal each week, much less of the flour.

The flour from nuts.com is $117.90 for 25#, making it $$.49 a pound.

Charski 04-14-2013 09:49 AM

I have tried both almond meal (which I consider the whole almond, ground up) and almond flour (which I consider the blanched type) and I far prefer the flour - but most of my applications for it, I want a more "high carb" result in texture and taste.

I do buy almond meal and keep it on hand for certain recipes where the darker/heavier result is find, like the Almond Thins, for example.

I've bought the blanched almond flour from multiple sources, including the Nuts people, and I still prefer the Honeyville flour for MY purposes. They do have a flat $4.49 shipping charge, so even though it wouldn't take advantage of your Prime account, it's not bad, especially if you buy some of their other goodies at the same time, like erythritol or any of their freeze-dried/dehydrated products. We happen to love their OvaEasy powdered eggs, which are great for emergency purposes - we did open one packet to try first (which I bought from A because H'ville doesn't have them in small quantities) and made scrambled eggs - we couldn't tell the dif between those and fresh!

I also like their freezedried onions and the peas. I don't use a lot of peas so I hate buying frozen ones, they always turn into a massive ice clump before I can use them all - but I open that can of peas, vacuum seal them in jars or bags, and can just take out a few when I want them that way!

They do pack the almond flour in 5# bags which is how I usually buy it, two at a time. The 25# bag of course is cheaper, but then I'd have to divvy it up and process it myself and I'm lazy enough to figure the price difference for the smaller bags is worth it! :)

lazy girl 04-14-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16372387)
I have tried both almond meal (which I consider the whole almond, ground up) and almond flour (which I consider the blanched type) and I far prefer the flour - but most of my applications for it, I want a more "high carb" result in texture and taste.

I do buy almond meal and keep it on hand for certain recipes where the darker/heavier result is find, like the Almond Thins, for example.

I've bought the blanched almond flour from multiple sources, including the Nuts people, and I still prefer the Honeyville flour for MY purposes. They do have a flat $4.49 shipping charge, so even though it wouldn't take advantage of your Prime account, it's not bad, especially if you buy some of their other goodies at the same time, like erythritol or any of their freeze-dried/dehydrated products. We happen to love their OvaEasy powdered eggs, which are great for emergency purposes - we did open one packet to try first (which I bought from A because H'ville doesn't have them in small quantities) and made scrambled eggs - we couldn't tell the dif between those and fresh!

I also like their freezedried onions and the peas. I don't use a lot of peas so I hate buying frozen ones, they always turn into a massive ice clump before I can use them all - but I open that can of peas, vacuum seal them in jars or bags, and can just take out a few when I want them that way!

They do pack the almond flour in 5# bags which is how I usually buy it, two at a time. The 25# bag of course is cheaper, but then I'd have to divvy it up and process it myself and I'm lazy enough to figure the price difference for the smaller bags is worth it! :)

You've peaked my curiosity about the Honeyville brand. I'll order a bag and give it a try.

greybb1 04-14-2013 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll be buying the Honeyville brand, a one pound bag, and give it a try.

watcher513 04-14-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16372902)
Thanks everyone! I'll be buying the Honeyville brand, a one pound bag, and give it a try.

I don't remember seeing a 1 lb. bag, only 5# and 25#. If you can hold out, sign up for the mailing list and wait for the next sale. They come every month or so.

greybb1 04-14-2013 06:09 PM

I went ahead and ordered the 5# bag from Amazon. It's the Honeyville brand and was the same price on the Honeyville web site, but with no shipping cost. (Amazon Prime)

Can't wait to get it!

flossie73 04-15-2013 10:01 AM

I planned on ordering from Amazon but see they jacked the price up to $42 for the 5lb bag.

Bummer. Looking for a more affordable source. Once you pay shipping to order direct from Honeyville's site, you are paying about the same.

pocahontas 04-15-2013 10:04 AM

For a pie crust or crackers, you cant beat the price of almond meal at Trader Joe's. If you plan on baking cakes or bread, I would order the blanched almond flour from Honeyville.

Nigel 04-15-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16371996)
I use about a pound of the meal each week, much less of the flour.

The flour from nuts.com is $117.90 for 25#, making it $$.49 a pound.

I was wondering if that should be $4.69 per lb?
If so, that's a great price.

lazy girl 04-15-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flossie73 (Post 16374278)
I planned on ordering from Amazon but see they jacked the price up to $42 for the 5lb bag.

Bummer. Looking for a more affordable source. Once you pay shipping to order direct from Honeyville's site, you are paying about the same.

After looking at nuts.com last night, I realized that due to low shipping charges, Honeyville would cost less. And I believe that with the shipping charge, it still cost less than the $42 charged at Amazon. Amazon must have been covering the free prime shipping.

lazy girl 04-15-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 16375325)
I was wondering if that should be $4.69 per lb?
If so, that's a great price.

You're probably right. And I think there is no shipping charge with that amount, but don't quote me on that. In any case, I'll see if I like Honeyville more and if not, then I'll get the 25# bag from nuts.com.

Nigel 04-15-2013 06:32 PM

I always order mine online.
They had a one pound bag at wally world the other day for $15--I had to look at it twice. Incredible!

rosethorns 04-15-2013 07:14 PM

Wow Nigel really. I'm glad I order online.