Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Grilled artichokes- my new obsession!

My SIL introduced me, and I am in love. I have been seasoning with good salt and pepper, and rubbing with a little olive oil. What seasonings do you use? How about dipping sauce? I have been using mayo with dill, lemon and garlic, but old love a few lower calorie ideas too. They are So yummy!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
How do you prepare them? They look so intimidating to me but would love to try them.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

They are awesome, awesome, awesome! I just finished bacon/onion/garlic burgers and artichokes for dinner.

Cut off the stems, and cut the tops about an inch down. You can cut the tips off the leaves too if you want, and pull any loose leaves off. Slice them in half, and scoop out the choke- the middle part that is hairy. Steam the halves for about 30 minutes, depending on the size. when you can easily insert a knife in to the heart, they are ready. You can eat them at this point. But! grill them, and it gives another whole dimension of flavor. I sprinkle on some evoo and rub it around, and a little salt and pepper. Grill them over medium heat until they are a little brown and charred around the edges. Delish!

After typing all that, I remembered that I searched you tube and watched a couple great videos. Easier than it sounds. If you like "picking" food, they are worth the work!

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Ooooohhh that sounds sooo good!

I love "picking" food LOL!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I like to do this with baby artichokes, which are in season this time of year. Trader Joes usually carries them (a package with about 12 baby artichokes). Cut in half and steam (there is little to no fuzzy choke in a baby one) for about 12 minutes. Then grill like millergirl's directions. I like to serve with a homemade garlic aioli (mayonnaise, really).
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I was gonna grill some last night, which I had cooked earlier in the day (I cut off the tops and stems, sit upright in a pan which snugly holds whatever number of chokes you're cooking, put in water to about halfway up the chokes, add a good spoonful of chicken stock paste, bring to a boil - then turn down to simmer and let them cook til the heart is tender, time varies with variety/size/age of the choke but I almost always start with 30 minutes for a med.choke) but I got lazy and tired after splitting half a cord of oak wood with DH and we didn't bother with the grilling, just ate them as they were.

I USED to use olive oil, peppercorns, garlic, basil, in the cooking water, and then make a dipping sauce, usually mayo/lemon juice/garlic, but learned that I REALLY like the artichoke itself when cooked in the chicken stock!

Another good sauce though - mayo, a drizzle of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and sweetener to taste.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks!
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: okapi
WOE: Atkins-OWL
Start Date: April 9, 2008
I LOVE artichokes! I usually just steam them, but I do like them grilled too.

I love them just with melted butter (not a lower calorie option, I know...but it is low carb!). Otherwise I use mayonnaise/mustard mixed together or mayonnaise with lemon and garlic added (also not low calorie...but low carb!).
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Yum to all of these ideas! Charski, you submerge them in the chicken stock? That would give them awesome flavor. Totally trying that. Last night, I added a splash of soy, fresh dill, some crushed garlic, and lemon juice. Mmmm.

I was thinking about a Greek yogurt base instead of mayo... too tangy?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yep, I put the 'chokes right in the pan, no steamer basket, then add water half way up the 'chokes, then just plop a rounded teaspoon or so of chicken stock paste in there. They taste really good that way, and I have NEVER in my life eaten artichokes PLAIN before I started cooking them that way.

Greek yogurt is good but if using it for one of those dips, I'd use half yogurt and half mayo. Partly to temper the tang, and partly to give it that creamy mouthfeel.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote