Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Which is the best LC cheesecake recipe?

I'd like to make a LC cheesecake as one of the dessert choices for my dd's 21st birthday. There are so many LC cheesecake recipes out there that I'd like some suggestions as to which is the best. I'm thinking about making a chocolate cheesecake and would like it to be as close in flavor and texture to a traditional cheesecake as possible. I'm planning on using erythritol and stevia as the sweetener. Thanks for any help!
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I do best with one from Laura Dolson on about.com. It has a pecan crust I don't make, if that helps you find it. it's not chocolate, but all that takes is stirring in cocoa powder and perhaps a bit more sweetener, leaving the vanilla in there, and not using the lemon juice.

I have a big pie plate and use 4 packages of cream cheese and 3 jumbo eggs, with 1/4 cup sour cream. I have been very disappointed in most of the other recipes I have tried.

If you are really concerned about an uncracked top you can drive yourself bonkers. Better to plan on either just saying the cracks are a sign of a perfect cheesecake (which they ARE) or covering it with a sauce!

And of course the key is to make it a full 24 hours ahead and refrigerate it. There is no rushing that texture and eating it too soon is a waste of several thousand calories!

good luck.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
This is my favorite cheesecake, I also have recipes for a chocolate swirl and a lemon swirl cheesecake if your interested.

Best Ever Sour Cream Cheesecake

Crust:
2 cups almond flour
1/4-cup Splenda
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter-melted

Filling:
1-cup sour cream
4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 cup Splenda
3 tablespoons flour (or sub 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch for gluten free)
3 tablespoons lemon juice (I use 1 whole Meyer lemon)
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks

Preheat oven to 325║

Make crust: In medium bowl, with hands or back of spoon, mix almond flour with Splenda and melted butter until they are well combined. Cut a round piece of parchment for the bottom and collars for the sides of a 9 x 4-inch cake pan. Spray with cooking spray, stick pieces into place and spray again. Press almond flour evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake at 325 for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and cool slightly then place into the freezer to finish cooling while you make the filling.

Make the filling: Place the sour cream in the bowl and mix to lube the bowl. With the mixer running add the cream cheese a piece at a time until all the cheese is in the mixer. Add the sweeteners and mix until smooth. Add the flour, lemon juice and vanilla and mix well. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and gently mix the eggs into the batter making sure they are completely mixed in. Pour the batter over the cooled crust and bake at 325 for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove from the oven cool on the counter then refrigerate overnight before serving. To serve carefully remove the parchment collar and then place a clean piece of parchment over the top of the cheesecake and turn the cake out onto your hand and then place a serving dish on the bottom and flip.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
This is my favorite cheesecake recipe. You could make it chocolate by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa or melted sugar free chocolate. I think about 6 to 8 ounces would be good.

Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/2 cups Ground Pecans
3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Sugar ( I used Xylitol)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Press the nut mixture firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. ( I used a 10" springform pan).
Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edge is golden brown.

Cheesecake:
4 (8 ounce) packages Cream Cheese
1 1/2 cups Sugar ( I used 1 cup Xylitol and 1/2 cup Splenda).
4 eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp Glucomannan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Place a pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven, this will ensure the cheesecake comes out creamy. You can also do a water bath, whichever way you prefer. I do the pan because its easier for me.

In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and glucomannan just until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, take cheesecake out and run a knife around the outside edge of the cheesecake. Put back in the oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I don't like a crust on my cheesecake, so I always bake mine without. Otherwise I use a regular recipe and use splenda/maltitol for the sweetener. If it's chocolate cheesecake that calls for melted chocolate I use a good quality sugar free chocolate.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Thanks for the recipes! They all seem to have about the same ratio of cream cheese/eggs/sweetener. That's a good thing!
Ravenrose, I have no issues with a cracked top. I just want it to taste good. I've made a lot of regular cheesecakes and done the whole waterbath thing and I'm over it.
Chicken Lady, that cheesecake looks awesome! I can't do flour or cornstarch, but I'm thinking it would still turn out without those ingredients. I'd love the recipes for the chocolate swirl and lemon.
Ginaaaa, yours looks great, also! I still haven't ordered any glucomannan. I need to do that soon.
greybb1, I'm debating about doing it crustless. Although I'm also tempted by the pecan crusts on the other cheesecakes. How does the texture on the crustless cheesecake work? Do the edges (well, I guess a round pan doesn't have edges, but you know what I mean) turn out dry?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I use similar recipes to those above...I have made chocolate but you should add something extra for moistness as cocoa powder is dry and will make the finished product a little less moist. I didn't care for the chocolate cheesecake as much as I thought I would...I like it better plain and add cocoa powder to crust and then add a chocolate ganache layer on top or sugar free chocolate chips...you can taste the chocolate better this way IMO...the chocolaty flavor is otherwise lost in the cheesecake ...not as intense.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote