Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Protein/low carb pancakes?

I've seen simple recipes where whey protein powder (vanilla), egg whites and some splenda for low carb pancakes and I've tried this but the pancake turns out very dry and has a bland/harsh taste. How do I make my pancakes more moist? I don't like oatmeal or flax seeds, any other simple recipes? Thanks.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Flax-Whey Protein Pancakes

All whey protein can be drying. A mixture with other flour subs I find much better. Here's a recipe I came up with some time ago that you might like to try. They are never dry IMO and not too strong with flax flavor (which I'm not so fond of either). You could sub in some almond flour for some of the flax meal for even less flax flavor in these)

FLAX-WHEY PROTEIN PANCAKES

INGREDIENTS:

¾ c. flax meal (I like half dark and half golden)
¼ c. vanilla whey protein (or use plain and add your own vanilla)
¼ c. cream
¼ c. water (or more if batter gets too thick)
1 beaten egg
pinch salt
¼ tsp. each baking powder and baking soda

DIRECTIONS: Mix all ingredients. Using ¼ c. measuring cup not quite full, spoon this fairly thick batter onto a hot, griddle to make 6 pancakes. I oiled my griddle with coconut oil but any acceptable oil is OK. Cook over medium-high heat. When the batter begins to rise up a bit and pancakes are browning to your liking on first side (about 2 minutes), flip and cook until second side is brown. Serve at once with butter and your favorite syrup (I use Cary’s sugar-free maple syrup).

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes six 4″ pancakes, each contains:
124 calories
8.32 g fat
5.13 g carbs
3.90 g fiber
1.23 g NET CARBS
8.28 g protein
124 mg sodium

A friend on another forum adores these and tells me she likes to use them for her sandwich bread! I haven't tried that yet myself, however.

Last edited by buttoni; 04-11-2013 at 02:09 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
DJFOODIE has a recipe on his website for pancakes (crepes?) that are just eggs and ricotta cheese (sweetener optional). You could add some vanilla extract if you like that flavor, and/or cinnamon. Very easy, high protein I would imagine, and really good.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5 View Post
I've seen simple recipes where whey protein powder (vanilla), egg whites and some splenda for low carb pancakes and I've tried this but the pancake turns out very dry and has a bland/harsh taste. How do I make my pancakes more moist? I don't like oatmeal or flax seeds, any other simple recipes? Thanks.
Although this recipes tastes more like french toast than pancakes (IMHO), it's easy and really good:

Pan Fried Mock Danish

2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 1/2 TB protein powder
Pinch of sweetener
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Blend everything until smooth, pour into pan that has been well greased with butter. Cook until underside is golden. Flip and continue cooking the other side. Slide onto plate, butter and top with your choice of syrup, sweetener and/or fruit.

I like it with powdered erythritol and sliced fresh strawberries. Yummy!

RVcook
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I have found that recipes using protein powder tend to be dry.

Here's a few you might try.

Cream cheese pancakes

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16359204

I haven't tried these ones made with almond meal

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pancakes.html

Almond flour pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
2 T oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T sweetener
Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

If you use the Fantastic Flour Mix there's a pancake recipe that's really good

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16243000

Here's a recipe that uses pork rind flour as a mock French toast that to me is more pancake like. I actually thought they were pretty good

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...le-recipe.html
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Mike5--

If you can do pork rinds, they make a tasty pancake (but don't taste like pork rinds. I make them a lot. Go to the Recipes and search for--pork rind french toast. The "Karen's" one is the recipe I use. Very easy. No flax required. Make a half for openers. Great with l/c syrup.
HTH, helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Not pancakes, but
If you don't have a problem with vital wheat gluten - Try Betty R's Amazing waffles. You can do a search for it here. These are indeed amazing, and use very easy to find ingredients. ( You can find vital wheat gluten in most grocery stores)

I don't like the taste of protein powder cooked or baked. It makes everything taste dry and chalky and just weird to me.
I recently tried Pea Protein and found that it is has less distinct flavor than Whey so you may want to switch to Pea Protein if you really want to add protein to your pancakes.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Has anyone made Betty's waffle without the SHREDDED cheese?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I don't use whey but I sometimes add some sour cream (if you can eat it) to my flax pancakes to make them a bit more moist
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by helper View Post
If you can do pork rinds, they make a tasty pancake (but don't taste like pork rinds. I make them a lot. Go to the Recipes and search for--pork rind french toast. The "Karen's" one is the recipe I use. Very easy. No flax required. Make a half for openers. Great with l/c syrup.
HTH, helper
These are surprisingly good (and non porky tasting).
The pork rind pizza crust is, too
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Ditto on the pork rind pizza crust.
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Here's a recipe that uses coconut flour or almond flour. It's from Maria's health blog. You don't have to make the sauce but I figured I would post the whole recipe, it sounds amazing!!

HEALTHIFIED" FLAPPERS
1/2 cup coconut flour (OR 2 cups blanched almond flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup Swerve confectioners (or erythritol and 1/4 tsp stevia glycerite)
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 TBS melted butter or coconut oil
7 eggs (4 if using almond flour)
1 tsp apple extract (or vanilla, but apple tastes great with the Brie Cheese!)
TOPPINGS:
8 oz brie cheese
1 cup walnuts
SAUCE:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Swerve Confectioners (or xylitol)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp guar gum (thickener)

In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, baking powder, natural sweetener and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk, melted butter or oil, eggs and extract. Stir the egg mixture into the coconut flour mixture.

Place coconut oil or spray a skillet with coconut oil spray and heat to medium high heat. Pour the batter onto the hot skillet to make circles to your desired size. Cook the pancakes until bottom is golden brown and carefully flip the pancake. Cook the pancakes on the other side until golden on each side. Repeating with remaining batter.

Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the butter in a saucepan over high heat. Using Swerve: Before you begin, make sure you have everything ready to go - the cream and the butter next to the pan, ready to put in. Work fast or the sweetener will burn. Heat butter on high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart (2 L) or 3-quart (3 L) saucepan. As soon as it comes to a boil, watch for specks of brown (this is brown butter....so good on veggies!). Immediately add the Swerve and the almond milk to the pan. Whisk until sauce is smooth (whisk in guar gum if desired). Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, and then pour into a glass mason jar and let sit to cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Using Xylitol: Again have everything ready. Wear oven mitts; the caramelized sugar will be much hotter than boiling water. In a heavy-bottomed 2-quart (2 L) or 3-quart (3 L) saucepan, heat sweetener on moderately high heat. As it begins to melt, stir vigorously with a whisk or wooden spoon. As soon as it comes to a boil, stop stirring. You can swirl the pan a bit if you want, from this point on. As soon as all of the xylitol crystals have melted (the liquid should be dark amber in color), immediately add the butter to the pan. Whisk until the butter has melted. Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat. Count to three, then slowly add the almond milk to the pan and continue to whisk to incorporate. Note that when you add the butter and the cream, the mixture will foam up considerably. Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth (whisk in guar gum if desired). Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then pour into a glass mason jar and let sit to cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Place pancakes on a plate, top with walnuts, brie, and sauce. Enjoy! Makes 8 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Pancake = 554 calories, 38g fat, 15g protein, 48g carbs, 1.9g fiber (46.1 effective carbs)
"Healthified" Coconut Flour Pancakes = 406 calories, 36g fat, 15.5g protein, 6.5g carbs, 3.8g fiber (2.7 effective carbs)
"Healthified" Almond Flour Pancakes = 511 calories, 42g fat, 18g protein, 8.3g carbs, 4.3g fiber (4 effective carbs)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote