Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Costco has huge pork shoulder

I have recently found large pork shoulders at my Costco and at $1.67 a pound they are a bargain. This is the third one I have fixed and each time I followed Limetwist's directions and they turned out perfect. Score the fat, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Bake at 225 for 12 hours then 275 for 2 hours and finish with a couple of minutes under the broiler and you've got perfection.

I then portion it out and freeze the extra and I'm set for a while, as long as family members don't show up while it's still warm and the house smells so wonderful.

Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
YUM! Looks great (though very large ). I've bought a couple there lately but I think they are more expensive at my Costco. I've made some great tasting carnitas in the crockpot with them!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Pork shoulders are a staple in my house. I can sometimes get them for $.99/lb, and when I can, I stock up. I almost always throw them into the crock pot, with different flavors, depending on my mood.

I think I have about five in the freezer currently.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I love their pork shoulder, though I always call them pork butts. lol But I *really* wish I could just buy one at a time. Here they come in a package with two good sized roasts.

I used to cook them slowly like Limetwist does, though you really don't have to do anything to the roast before you put it in the oven, it's so flavorful on its own! But I have learned that it turns out just as wonderful if you cook at a higher heat for shorter time. I think I do it at 400* for around 3 hours or a little less and it's great. But if I'm going to be home for a good stretch I'll set the temp lower and just check on it.

Well, that was all before I od'd on pork butt. I may have eaten one too many pork butts in my time and now I'm not feeling the pork butt love, but it will come back to me some day.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Pork shoulders are a staple in my house. I can sometimes get them for $.99/lb, and when I can, I stock up. I almost always throw them into the crock pot, with different flavors, depending on my mood.

Where in the world do you find them for $.99/lb? I would buy up 50 lbs or so if I could find them for that. I have a grinder for making sausage, a crock pot, and an electric smoker. I like to smoke up lots of chicken or pork when I find it cheap. Smoke them and pack individually in quart bags in the freezer they are great.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Where in the world do you find them for $.99/lb? I would buy up 50 lbs or so if I could find them for that. I have a grinder for making sausage, a crock pot, and an electric smoker. I like to smoke up lots of chicken or pork when I find it cheap. Smoke them and pack individually in quart bags in the freezer they are great.
Kroger in our area has them for $.99/lb regularly. In late Feb. they were $.79/lb. I bought 5 of them.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Both pork butts (shoulders), and pork picnic roasts are $.99/lb at a couple of supermarkets a few times a year, and I take full advantage. I also sometimes buy from a meat wholesaler that sells to the public, and they're a good price there too.

Picnic roasts are fattier and cheaper, but I use them pretty much interchangeably. They're both yummy.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have to buy them myself. I saw them on sale at our Giant, and asked my husband to get one. He came home with a pork loin roast instead. Much smaller, more expensive, and not as fatty/tasty. I had planned four meals out of it (including tacos/taco salad) but we're lucky to get two.

I also asked him to get a pkg of chicken thighs on sale. THey're the "super saver" package with 12 or so thighs. He brought home a package with five. FIVE thighs! I baked them as normal, but again I had planned to eat them all week, alternating with pork, and now I have to figure out meat for the weekend.

*sigh*

I think it's a plot to have me do the grocery shopping...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PeeVee
Stats: started 280 down to 256 on WW now 253
WOE: atkins
I don't buy them at costco personally because I prefer the bone in variety. I don't understand why they can't sell both, oh well.
PeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this, cause they are often on sale here for about the same ( $1.09, actually)..Anyway I never even thought to stock up!!

May I ask just how long do you cook your in the crock-pot?, and can you give some examples as to what kind of different seasonings you use?

Thanks!!
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
[/B][/B]

Thanks for sharing this, cause they are often on sale here for about the same ( $1.09, actually)..Anyway I never even thought to stock up!!

May I ask just how long do you cook your in the crock-pot?, and can you give some examples as to what kind of different seasonings you use?

Thanks!!
any pork or rib BBQ rub will work fine, substitute splenda for the sugar.
I have used this one and it's OK, not as good as my old sugar based rubs

2/3 cup salt
2/3 cup Splenda
1/2 cup paprika
6 TBL chili powder (the blend)
4 TBL fresh ground black pepper
2 TBL ground cumin
2 TBL garlic powder
2 TBL cayenne pepper

Mix it up in a bowl to blend it together.

another little tip, in the BBQ world it's pretty common to go right from the freezer to the smoker with frozen butts with no impact on quality or taste and very little added to cooking time oddly enough. Same should work for the oven methods.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeVee View Post
any pork or rib BBQ rub will work fine, substitute splenda for the sugar.
I have used this one and it's OK, not as good as my old sugar based rubs

2/3 cup salt
2/3 cup Splenda
1/2 cup paprika
6 TBL chili powder (the blend)
4 TBL fresh ground black pepper
2 TBL ground cumin
2 TBL garlic powder
2 TBL cayenne pepper

Mix it up in a bowl to blend it together.

another little tip, in the BBQ world it's pretty common to go right from the freezer to the smoker with frozen butts with no impact on quality or taste and very little added to cooking time oddly enough. Same should work for the oven methods.
Thank you!!!!

may i ask, although, this sounds great , however, will this rub also work with crock pot cooking
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
Thank you!!!!

may i ask, although, this sounds great , however, will this rub also work with crock pot cooking
yeah uh, I uh.. missed the crock pot part. It's not a kitchen implement I use often so I can't be much help there I'm afraid. If you've got a smoker, I'm your guy though!

I also wanted to mention if you guys have a restaurant depot near you they have usually very high quality pork butt for about a buck a pound in 2 packs, there are a few hoops to jump through to shop there but it's a GREAT resource for folks that purchase a lot of meat.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

My favorite pork crockpot dish is what I called Hawaiian Pork. Made with pineapple, onions, peppers and served over rice. I am going to have to do some heavy thinking as to how to redesign that for low carbs. Can use splenda instead of the sugar in it, but gotta figure out a tasty substitute for rice. Im afraid cauliflower just wont hack it for a Louisina boy.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just bought a nice bone-in pork butt on sale for .99/lb. at SaveMart This morning.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I throw it (sometimes frozen) into the crock pot with all different kinds of things. Here are a few possibilities, though I basically just wing it based on however I'm feeling at the time.

An onion, a few bell peppers, seasoned salt, pepper, and lots of fresh garlic.

Lots of ginger, a few minced Thai chilli peppers, a dash of soy sauce, and some garlic. Toss in a tablespoons or so of SF raspberry syrup with a few dashes of sesame oil and some salt, pepper, and garlic.

Worcestershire sauce, A1 sauce, garlic, a bit of Splenda, salt, pepper, and garlic, and maybe half a cup of vegetable broth. With or without BBQ sauce added.

Several minced jalapeños, some hot sauce and a bit of broth, along with salt, pepper, and garlic. I'd probably add a whatever other peppers I had around if I were going in that direction.

With some variation depending on the size of the roast, and if it were frozen, I usually cook it on high for six to eight hours. Once it's done, I'll either take it out and slice it, or shred it and leave it in the broth, sometimes adding veggies straight into the mix.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I cook mine in the crock pot with just a basic paprika-based spice rub. Nothing too strong. That way I can reheat the leftovers with bbq sauce for pulled pork, or with salsa for taco salad, or with peanut sauce for Thai stir-fry, or with sour cream and hot sauce for... well, my own concoction that I love.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Ralph, do you cover yours for the first 12 hours and are you cooking the whole Costco roast at one time?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I cook mine in the crock pot with just a basic paprika-based spice rub. Nothing too strong. That way I can reheat the leftovers with bbq sauce for pulled pork, or with salsa for taco salad, or with peanut sauce for Thai stir-fry, or with sour cream and hot sauce for... well, my own concoction that I love.
Great suggestion. I also cook up a bunch at a time and eat on it for a week or more. Seperate it into meal size portions and freeze some, refrigerate others. Nice to be ready to have variety.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Ralph, do you cover yours for the first 12 hours and are you cooking the whole Costco roast at one time?
I roast it completely uncovered the entire time. I fix the entire butt at the same time but since the bone has been remove it is in two pieces. It would be easy enough to only fix one part and freeze the other but I figure since I've got the oven on I might as well roast the whole thing.

After it cools I portion it out and freeze whatever isn't going to be eaten right away. I usually put mine in the oven around 6:00 or 7 :00 pm and let it cook all night. Man, the house smells great in the morning.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Looks great! They are Butts here too. I get them from $0.99-$1.49 lb. I buy the sliced and wrap them 2 to a pack and freeze. They are my bacon. Great on the grill too.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Ntombi!!

**This one** I'm so gonna try next week

Lots of ginger, a few minced Thai chilli peppers, a dash of soy sauce, and some garlic. Toss in a tablespoons or so of SF raspberry syrup with a few dashes of sesame oil and some salt, pepper, and garlic.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
I roast it completely uncovered the entire time. I fix the entire butt at the same time but since the bone has been remove it is in two pieces. It would be easy enough to only fix one part and freeze the other but I figure since I've got the oven on I might as well roast the whole thing.

After it cools I portion it out and freeze whatever isn't going to be eaten right away. I usually put mine in the oven around 6:00 or 7 :00 pm and let it cook all night. Man, the house smells great in the morning.
So is the 12 hours for the whole thing, not the half, right? I saw a recipe on Pinterest that recommended putting it in the oven before bed. I think with a 14 hour cook time, that isn't a bad idea but I bet the smell would wake me up!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
These low prices would be great here in CA, wow. They've been 1.99/lb. here. This week Raley's has them for 1.49/lb which is really good for here lately.

I've been getting small ones, just under/around 4 lbs. (3 of us to feed) and putting it in the slow cooker with just salt and pepper and about 1/4-1/3 cup water, over night. Hubby works nights so it's ready around 11 AM for his 'evening' meal. We get a few meals out of this.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
So is the 12 hours for the whole thing, not the half, right? I saw a recipe on Pinterest that recommended putting it in the oven before bed. I think with a 14 hour cook time, that isn't a bad idea but I bet the smell would wake me up!!
Yes, that is for the whole thing but it really is two separate pieces. I do put it in the oven in the evening and wake up to the sublime aroma of slow roasted pork.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
These low prices would be great here in CA, wow. They've been 1.99/lb. here. This week Raley's has them for 1.49/lb which is really good for here lately.
I live in SoCal, and the $.99/lb to $1.29/lb is the sale price I stock up on. Smart & Final, Stater Bros., and Vons all have either pork butt or pork picnic roasts for that price within the last six months.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Y'all may want to look up recipes for Puerto Rican pernil for more ideas.

I wanted to make one for ages but I don't have an oven.
But I finally made a big one a few months ago at my neighbor's house.

I sliced a pocket in the fat and stuffed it with a paste of mashed garlic, oregano, salt & pepper.
(That was my own idea from making chicken thighs a few days earlier--
I stuffed spices, garlic & parm cheese under the skin!
I haven't actually seen that in any recipes/instructions that say to do that,
but I wanted the flavors to get into the meat, not just the fat.)
Scored the skin and rubbed more seasoning on top (without the garlic, because that can get scorched and bitter).
Let that marinate a day or two before cooking.

My friends loved it and I was very happy with my first pork roast!
If I only had an oven, so I could do it more often....
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: add info
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
I live in SoCal, and the $.99/lb to $1.29/lb is the sale price I stock up on. Smart & Final, Stater Bros., and Vons all have either pork butt or pork picnic roasts for that price within the last six months.
50 miles north of San Francisco. No Vons or Stater Bros., and a Smart & Final is about 45 miles away. However, there's a S&F opening in the next town in the near future. They had a job fair 3/18 so hopefully they'll open soon. Their sister store, Cash & Carry is within 5 miles of the new store opening also.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I can't believe the industry is renaming meat cuts to "make them more appealing". The Butt Roast will be renamed the "Boston Roast". Wonder if the price will go up with the new name.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I went to Costco today looking for pork shoulder. At first I couldn't find them. I did find pork shoulder ribs, though, and kept looking. I finally found them. I was on the verge of giving up when I found them - right next to the pork shoulder ribs. They just weren't labeled as well as the other meat.
Anyway, I'm going to start these first thing in the morning (I have a fear about leaving the oven on all night) and let them cook all day. I can hardly wait!! Thanks for giving a heads-up!!
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote