Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amywah
Stats: 197/184/130
1940's-1950's

So, by any chance do you guys know some recipes or ideas of things that would be mostly low carb that would have been eaten back then? Really I am just curious. I have a bit of an obsession with that time period and thought it would be neat to see if anything from back then would fit in with my WOE.
amywah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
That's a neat concept. The closest thing I can recommend would be the Moosewood cookbooks. They're usually family recipes handed down and they're mostly vegetarian.

Lots of creamed veggies, borscht, cottage cheese type. Some of the old cookbooks were marvels at doing without during WWII, like potato mayonnaise. (Yeah, that's not low carb, but still.)
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Oh the Moosewood vegetarian cookbooks were a lot more recent than that. I am old enough to remember! LOL Original was 1977.

amyway, you can find old cookbooks, like an OLD version of THe Joy of Cooking at booksales, thrift shops, etc. It would be fun to hunt for them. The recipes tend to be much higher fat, though of course they have plenty of starch and sugar too. YOu have to pick and choose.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-05-2013 at 03:58 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I think I will have to go through some old cookbooks and see what is already low carb and what could be made low carb with some tweaks. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I have an old joy of cooking or campbells cookbook. It has a cheeseball in it that I eat. I think it's 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz shredded cheese, onion, parsley, worcestershire sauce...that may be it. I add fresh cracked pepper, and usually omit the onions. I might also add garlic. The original recipe might have nuts on the outside. I eat it with celery or pepperoni chips.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
What an interesting idea! I know that ketogentic diets were used in the 20's to control epilepsy patients, cookbooks must exist in some form I assume.

I have a handwritten cookbook of my grans from the 30's-50's somewhere, I should scan some of it in. Such an interesting peice of history, except she rarely wrote down her 'everyday' recipes, the ones I remember her making and wish I could make today I don't know if you're familiar with Jewish cooking but there is a lot of potato, onion, stews, chicken broth, and bread products, and we don't mix dairy with meat. There's also some weird stuff like 'cookies' made with shaved carrots and an apple, back from when sugar was a restricted item. The ones I really want to eat again are the high carb ones- her knishes were so delicious. I should make stuffed cabbage though, that's easy to do low carb! Also, cheese blintzes are delicious and after you get a hang of them, pretty easy!

What is noticeable is the spices are so simple. Salt and pepper mostly. Also, barely any instructions!
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I think this is an interesting idea, and a fun project to research. I would suggest looking at Julia Child. Her recipes are really old french recipes, as formulated by Escoffier, I think, so certainly would have been prepared in the 40's and 50's, if the ingredients were available in the war-recovering economies. Libraries might have some old cookbooks, and also historical "museums" like Colonial Williamsburg, but geared to your time frame.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
How bout shrimp cocktail, caesar salad, grilled steaks, shish kabob, bacon wrapped hot dogs, poached salmon, meat loaf, chili, just for starters. Check out on line menus for classic steak houses and you will come up with more ideas.Will you be serving up the food on vintage china?

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
You have me. That was my housewifey era.

Try the Peg Bracken cookbooks. I had a Betty Crocker and
here's one that we made as a favorite 'company dish'

Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Salt, pepper and dip in flour (use LC)
6 bone in loin chops
2 large onions, sliced thick
1-2 cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
Use milk to thin out the soup
Salt and pepper
Oil to brown the chops.

Heavy skillet with lid. Brown chops very well on each
side (the caramelization will make nice brown gravy)
Mix the soup and milk (cream for LC). When the chops
are nice and brown, throw in the cream and let it bubble up.
Now throw the onion slices on top of the chops.
Lid on and cook on low simmer until chops are very tender.

We served this over white rice or mashed potatoes.
Green beans with bacon and dessert and coffee.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

1932 Meatloaf

That is the meatloaf that we all made in the fifties.

What made it the "Depression" meatloaf is that we used
quite a bit of oatmeal as filler to make the meat go a longer
way and we added eggs and sauté of chopped veggies.
It's still my fav, although I never make it anymore.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

You guys are awesome! I will definitely check into some of the cookbooks mentioned. And great point about things like steaks, etc.
I would love to serve on vintage dishes! I do have a small set of dishes from the 50's that my mom got from her mom. I have them displayed in my china cabinet right now.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
A few years ago I bought a reprint of a 1950s era Betty Crocker cookbook at Target. It was the same as my grandmas that I learned to cook from as a kid.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
All I can think of is Farmer's Cheese was used a lot, but then again, it might have been in the 60's or 70's...I'm just not sure.

When I grew up, my Grandmother was on Weight Watcher's and she ate like a rabbit--nearly every vegetable was raw.

But of course I grew up after the 40's and 50's. I am thinking that weight watcher's in the 70's, maybe 80's was kind of low carb though.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-06-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
My Mom made- Henny Penny Chicken (I make it without the rice)

Mix several cups of cooked chopped chicken with mayo like consistency for chicken salad. Add finely diced celery, finely diced onion, chopped walnuts(orig recipe used slivered almonds, but I always have walnuts in the house), and grated cheddar cheese. Put in casserole dish. More cheddar cheese on top. Bake till brown and bubbly. Delish.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
I have a Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook from the 50s that my Mom had and used quite a bit. It has so much basic cooking information and fun stuff too. I love it.

The chapter on eggs alone has 27 pages of recipes. It gives you ideas for meals which would make all the nutritionists cringe nowadays (did we really eat like that?) and it even tells you how to properly set the table and fold your napkins. The book is about 4' thick with recipes like braised moose, roast opossum and desserts like cream puff swans .

Low carb it's not - almost every recipe has potatoes, bread, pasta and/or flour in it. Although I think a lot of them could be converted especially using Ouizoid's BTF mix.

This is a pretty easy low carb recipe from it that I like. I serve it with mashed cauli.

Swiss Steak in Sour Cream
3 lbs round steak
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 tsp paprika

Cut steak into cubes and brown in hot oil. Put everything else into pan, cover and simmer for about 2 hours or until tender.

It also has 2 TBL of grated cheese in the recipe but it doesn't say what kind or what to do with it so I leave it out.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Oh the Moosewood vegetarian cookbooks were a lot more recent than that. I am old enough to remember! LOL Original was 1977.

amyway, you can find old cookbooks, like an OLD version of THe Joy of Cooking at booksales, thrift shops, etc. It would be fun to hunt for them. The recipes tend to be much higher fat, though of course they have plenty of starch and sugar too. YOu have to pick and choose.
Yeah. I know that.

The Silver Palate cookbooks also have a lot of recipes borrowed from old cookbooks. That is, if you don't find the cookbooks you would like either reprinted or in used bookstores. Although some of their recipes are so complicated. Their soup recipes are good, though.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Roast possum with cream puff swans??? !!!!!!

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Try the Peg Bracken cookbooks. I had a Betty Crocker and
here's one that we made as a favorite 'company dish'

Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Salt, pepper and dip in flour (use LC)
6 bone in loin chops
2 large onions, sliced thick
1-2 cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
Use milk to thin out the soup
Salt and pepper
Oil to brown the chops.

Heavy skillet with lid. Brown chops very well on each
side (the caramelization will make nice brown gravy)
Mix the soup and milk (cream for LC). When the chops
are nice and brown, throw in the cream and let it bubble up.
Now throw the onion slices on top of the chops.
Lid on and cook on low simmer until chops are very tender.

We served this over white rice or mashed potatoes.
Green beans with bacon and dessert and coffee.
My mom used to make that for us all the time!!! But she put a head of cabbage in hers. It was always one of our favorite meals. I hadn't thought about it in years. I know what I'm making for supper tonight.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I grew up on recipes from Peg Bracken's I Hate To Cook Book, but it was published in the early 1960s not the 1940s.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe do a search on wartime recipes. I don't think meat was in good supply though, so they may not be LC.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found this for you:

Making Your Own Cream Cheese

Allow sour milk to form a thick clot. Pour into a muslin bag and allow liquid to drip into a basin for 24 hours, [the whey, which is remains, can be used in soups or for mixing cakes.] Remove the cheese from the bag, add seasoning and, if liked, chopped chives for flavouring. Mash up well with a fork. Use as a sandwich spread.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I have a Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook from the 50s that my Mom had and used quite a bit. It has so much basic cooking information and fun stuff too. I love it.

The chapter on eggs alone has 27 pages of recipes. It gives you ideas for meals which would make all the nutritionists cringe nowadays (did we really eat like that?) and it even tells you how to properly set the table and fold your napkins. The book is about 4' thick with recipes like braised moose, roast opossum and desserts like cream puff swans .

Low carb it's not - almost every recipe has potatoes, bread, pasta and/or flour in it. Although I think a lot of them could be converted especially using Ouizoid's BTF mix.

I have this same book and I agree that there isn't a lot of straight low-carb recipes in them. There seem to be a lot of recipes for tongue and salsify though, LOL.

There is one recipe in the seafood/fish book called Fish Fromage that I've made before and my husband loves it.

I love looking at old cookbooks and I have quite a few that I've picked up at Goodwill.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I have a collection of cookbooks, and ADORE older ones (picked up a 1918 cookbook last fall - "Salads, Sandwiches and Chafing Dish Dainties" - so fun!). I particularly like them because they aren't the low-fat, processed ingredient laden recipes that you find in more recent cookbooks. I find quite a few recipes that are either low-carb to begin with, or easily made so with just a few tweaks.

Here's one that sounds good from "A World of Good Eating: Recipes from Around the World" by Phillips Publishing, Inc., Copyright 1951 by Jack Frost Studios:

Crabmeat Egg Pancake

1 c. fresh crab meat (or small can)
1/2 c. celery, chopped finely
2 Tbs. scallions, minced
salt and pepper
4 eggs, well beaten.

Heat 3 Tbs. cooking oil in heavy frying pan. Mix the beaten eggs into the rest of ingredients and pour into pan. Cook over a low flame until the pancake is well set. Then cut into quarters and turn each quarter carefully. Avoid overcooking, which will toughen the pancake. Serve at once.

--

There's also a good looking recipe for Don-Ku (Egg Wrapplings) with ground meat, clery, carrots, green pepper, scallions, soy sauce and pepper... the wrappling is made with just eggs, salt & pepper.

I have a really good cream of mushroom soup recipe that came from the 1967 version of the "Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook"... all I did was replace the flour with a little xanthan gum to thicken.

Look in used book stores, Goodwill/Salvation Army, antique stores, and at flea markets & garage sales, if you're interested in picking up some older cookbooks. I don't think I've paid more than $10 for any of them... most are $5 or less.

Some of my favorite finds from that era include a Good Housekeeping Cook Book from 1958 (seventh printing), The American Family Cook Book from 1955, Helen Corbitt's Cookbook from 1957 (twenty-third printing), and my MIL's The American Woman's Cook Book from 1948.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here's a few I remember.

Old school Drumstick cake -----make Linda Sue's Drumstick treat. It's so close YUM.

Swiss steak w/ mushroom gravy----I make these oval shape and mushroom gravy using glucocmanan. YUM.

Hot chipped beef----I use jarred chipped beef and make a lc gravy.

Meatloaf----I never made it like the 50's. I make it and cook it in muffin tins.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just for Old Times Sake!

This recipe is from WW2 in the 1940's.

Yes we were on meat rationing and had stamp books. Outta stamps,
eat eggs lol.

My friend's mom's name was Pearl and she played the piano and had
the young service men over for a songfest and a feed. She figured out
how to "make do" for a crowd without much meat. I'm posting this for
the memories. We made this dish in the fifties as well.

Pearl's Steam Boat Spaghetti

One lb. of spaghetti cooked about 7 minutes, and drained.
We tossed with margarine not butter because of the war effort.

In a big skillet place the next 8 ingredients:
1 lb. of ground beef
2 large red onions, diced medium
2 15-oz cans of stewed tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste with 8 oz. water
2-3 cans of sliced mushrooms, drained
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Cook this for about 20 minutes, keep stirring
In a large lasagna pan layer in a cup of sauce, then add
the drained spaghetti and the remainder of the sauce.
Bake 325 for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and
lay about 8 ounces of American cheese slices on top.
Dust with as much Parmesan cheese as you can afford.

Let stand for 10-15 minutes and serve.
This should make you old timers smile.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a meatless recipe that we used in the forties and fifties.
One day a week the butcher shops were closed. We ate this a couple times
a month:

1 16 oz. can of salmon, drained and cleaned
3 oz. grated cheese (about one cup)
1 egg
1 c. of soft bread crumbs
2 tsp. dry onion flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery salt (opt)
1/4 tsp. or more black pepper
2/3 c. milk
2 tbs. melted margarine or butter

Combine, Bake 325-350 for approx. 30 minutes
Standing time 10 minutes for a firm slice.

We served this with béchamel sauce, green peas and potatoes.