Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Meat Cut Name Changes Coming Soon! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/801358-meat-cut-name-changes-coming-soon.html)

buttoni 04-04-2013 06:00 PM

Meat Cut Name Changes Coming Soon!

Thought this was interesting to learn. I've already seen the Pork Ribeye label appear in my local meat counters. No ads, so I think I can link to it: US meat industry renames cuts; pork chops are now ribeyes - Business on NBCNews.com

rosethorns 04-04-2013 06:03 PM

Peggy very interestng article. That just gives them a reason to charge 15.00 a lb.

Tweaker Geek 04-04-2013 07:02 PM

I don't know about you, but I wasn't confused by the names on packages of pork or beef. 2 years of consumer research!? Did it take that long to find some people who were confused!:hyst:

Ann Lytle 04-05-2013 03:40 AM

I just saw this on Fox and Friends. I thought the same thing, they think we are confused? Or just have decided we aren't too bright, so they will help us out....... Ann

Mobear 04-05-2013 04:12 AM

What a waste of time and money! After they get done with all the relabeling we can ALL be confused :confused::confused:

Mistizoom 04-05-2013 07:14 AM

I wasn't confused before. I already knew there were different kinds of pork chops! What the heck is a New York pork chop?!? And we have "Iowa chops" (very thick, bone in chops) where I live. I can't imagine the local stores will get rid of those.

Ginaaaaaa 04-05-2013 07:58 AM

I think the new labels might be more helpful.

I liked this statement;
The new retail names will also come with new labels for retail packages, which will tell consumers what part of the animal's body the cut comes from, as well as include suggested cooking instructions.

I don't like this statement. Why do they need to add additives to our food?

Overseas demand for U.S. meat has cooled as both Russia and China have concerns about possible traces of the feed additive ractopamine, which is used to make meat leaner. That has protein clogging the nation's supply chain and the supply pork and beef in commercial freezers hit a record high for the month of February, according to Agriculture Department data.

It's almost as if pork cuts are taking on steak cut names;

The lowly "pork chop" will be gone. Instead, grocery retailers could be stocking stacks of "porterhouse chops," "ribeye chops" and "New York chops." The pork butt - which actually comes from shoulder meat - will be called a Boston roast.

Finally, they're calling a flat iron by the type of cut it really is;

"In the beef aisle, a boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak, a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Not all names in the meat counter will change - ground beef will still be ground beef."

Charski 04-05-2013 08:42 AM

A rose by any other name...... :D

DiggingDogFarm 04-05-2013 12:26 PM

This is EXTREMELY bad news!!!!!
It's just a stunt to justify higher pricing!!!!

They've openly admitted it......

"Merchandise it Like Beef
The new pork names can help you position pork more like beef in your meat case and be rewarded with better margins. Because consumers are typically willing to pay more for higher-end cuts, you can charge more for the Ribeye Chop and New York Chop than you could before the name change. Seize the opportunity to trade consumers up while capturing more of their protein dollar."

Sources: Power of the Name | www.porkretail.org and AMC Pork Names | www.porkretail.org

Same old stuff, but at a higner price. NOT good!!!!!!!

~Martin

buttoni 04-05-2013 01:05 PM

That's kinda how I saw it, too, Martin.

Tweaker Geek 04-06-2013 06:18 PM

Whatever they an do to s---w the public!

The Chicken Lady 04-07-2013 08:23 AM

Great article, thanks for posing!!!