Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Milnot vs Whipped Cream

I am trying to rework a nobake Cheesecake recipe that uses a large can of Milnot whipped--I am wondering if 12 oz of whipped cream would whip up equal to 12 oz of Milnot or if anybody knows this prior to me just trying it and guessing if I have the right volume for the recipe? also wondering if I would need some glucomannan to stabilize the whipping cream more than the milnot-the recipe does have a pkg of jello in it.. Thanks for any assistance here--this recipe is one my husband loves and I would love to be able to eat it as well instead of watching him eat the whole 9x13 pan!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Hmmm,,, I'm thinking, but really not sure that it would be relatively close. I think even different creams sometimes whip up a little differently. I think you could just sub it out that way. But I'm really just guessing.
That amount of heavy whipping cream should whip up to about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups whipped cream.
Oh, and since you are using it to make the "cheesecake", and it has the jello in it, I don't think you'd really need the glucc or other stabilizer. They didn't call for anything else in the recipe.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-04-2013 at 11:18 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'd side with Billie here too. I've never HEARD of Milnot but assume it's something like RediWhip? Whipped cream in a can??

Heck it's hard to imagine it would be inedible, even if it might have a different texture, so if it was ME, I'd try it.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Charski--Milnot is like a can of evaporated milk--I chilled it in the fridge prior to whipping and it whipped really well-not sure regular evaporated milk does that or not? Milnot can be used like a canned milk replacement-it is used mainly in pumpkin pies here in Indiana-at least that is what I have always known it to be used for--a milk replacement in pumpkin pie! plus in this cheesecake recipe! I think Milnot means Milk-not? Thanks for your input!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 04-04-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I agree. Even if the whipped amount is a bit different, the recipe should still come out fine. And the cream cheese and jello should be enough of a stabilizer.

You could also use the fat from a can of coconut milk (to whip) instead of the cream.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Charski--Milnot is like a can of evaporated milk--I chilled it in the fridge prior to whipping and it whipped really well-not sure regular evaporated milk does that or not? Milnot can be used like a canned milk replacement-it is used mainly in pumpkin pies here in Indiana-at least that is what I have always known it to be used for--a milk replacement in pumpkin pie! plus in this cheesecake recipe! I think Milnot means Milk-not? Thanks for your input!
OH!! Wow, never heard of it. Well in that case, I'd not hesitate to substitute heavy cream for it instead.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, canned evaporated milk. (you said like, but to my remembrance it is canned evaporated milk) I actually just now went to thier website, and was surprised to not find a description of it! But the buying link called it Milnot® Evaporated Filled Milk
I've seen and I think even used it years ago somewhere I lived.

I actually found this recipe at Yahoo Answers! (found it in my search results on Milnot.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-05-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Well-I decided today was the day to make the cheesecake:

Grandma Padgett's Cheesecake--reworked to lowcarb

Graham cracker crust:

2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. vanilla flavored whey protein powder
8 drops sweetzfree liquid splenda
1/2 c. butter melted

Mix all ingredients together. spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and pat mixture firmly into bottom and up sides slightly. Bake 12 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned.

CHEESECAKE:

1 pkg lemon jello-3 oz
1 c. boiling water
3 TBS lemon juice
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 c. sugar substitute--I used 1 c. erythritol and 7 drops sweetzfree
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. whipping cream--whipped- I would use 2 1/2 c. next time for extra volume

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add lemon juice. Cool. Cream together cheese, sugar,, vanilla, and gelatin. Mix well. Fold whipped cream into gelatin mixture. Chill.

the crust is as close to graham cracker crumbs as I have found-and the cheesecake makes a refreshing summer dessert.

Last edited by jbatchelor; 04-06-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I'm thinking that would be great with strawberry instead of lemon (maybe just a tad to help with the setting)!! I'm not a huge lemon fan, and that amount of lemon would do me in! To each his/her own!!!
But strawberry sounds really good!
Oh, and I don't use sugared or SF jello! Don't do the sugar nor the aspartame in the SF. I've not found an aspartame free flavored gelatin. (they say they are out there, but I've been to a lot of stores, in several states, and have never found any.) I do however have a recipe for making your own with unsweetened gelatin, flavoring, and sf sweeteners.
I may just have to give this a try sometime!
I actually rarely do a crust anymore, but will have to try this one if I do use one.
Thanks!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-06-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Billie-I don't like using aspertame but I haven't found any other sources--would you care to share your way of making jello? I would love a way to have it without aspertame! I think your idea of strawberry sounds really good too!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanne, let me find it. I think it is posted on this forum somewhere. (Possibly by someone else.) If I can find that, I'll bump it up. If not hopefully I can fnid it in my computer files. It's pretty simple really. Water (duh), unflavored gelatin, Koolaid (the flavor you want), and sweetener of choice. My original used Trish's liquid "splenda", no longer available, but any sweetener you like can be used.
OK,,, let me go huntin!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

SF jello substitute

I just found this recipe that LindaSue posted some time ago. It is probably equivalent to a large box of Jello. I think the recipe I usually used was half that, but it's been a long time since I made it so maybe not. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10347811 (Sometimes for some reason these links seem to change, and come up a few posts up or down the page, so if it doesn't come up to that particular post, just scroll up or down to find LindaSue's post Lo Carb Jello (or something like that).
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

SF jello substitute

I just found this recipe that LindaSue posted some time ago. It is probably equivalent to a large box of Jello. I think the recipe I usually used was half that, but it's been a long time since I made it so maybe not. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10347811 (Sometimes for some reason these links seem to change, and come up a few posts up or down the page, so if it doesn't come up to that particular post, just scroll up or down to find LindaSue's post No Carb Jello.)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Billie-I really appreciate you finding the recipe-I try to avoid the bad things but sometimes there isn't a choice--this will give me a much better way to fix the jello!! much gratitude!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome Jeanne!
I do think that would be for the equivalent of a large box of jello.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

just realized I didn't put sf jello in my recipe but since I said it was lowcarbed I hope that is assumed? too late now to change it? but next time I am going to try the new way you gave me with the koolaid jello-it has been many moons since I have purchased koolaid!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 04-07-2013 at 04:24 AM..