Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   For the Grill Masters out there (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/801321-grill-masters-out-there.html)

buttoni 04-04-2013 06:47 AM

For the Grill Masters out there

I just stumbled on the most amazing website about grilling outdoors called Amazingribs. Someone on another forum mentioned this article about meat stalling its cooking process for hours that was one of THE most interesting reads for a BBQ veteran. Can't link to it, so just Google to their site and type into the search box "Stall" to pull up the article "Understanding and Beating the Stall, Bane of all Barbequers". I don't think you'll be sorry you read this if you ever grill pork butts or briskets (large pieces of meat). I didn't even KNOW about this meat cooking phenomenon!

Charski 04-04-2013 08:23 AM

That was an interesting read, Peggy! DH and I love to BBQ. Our method has been to load up the smoker, run it for one full heat (which takes about 3 hours), then pull everything in it. Generally the back ribs are done, and some other stuff is too, but we ALWAYS put the brisket and pork shoulders in either the oven, covered with foil, or in the crockpot, to finish cooking. Now I know why that works so well! :)

For US it's a matter of not restoking the fire with the more expensive charcoal/soaked oak, because the meat has already absorbed all the smoke flavor it's going to absorb - finishing it in a cheaper heat source just makes sense to us.

Can't wait for the first smoker run this season - the freezer is getting down to the nitty gritty on vacuum-sealed home-smoked goodness.

rosethorns 04-04-2013 09:00 AM

I'm off to read. Thanks Peggy.

buttoni 04-04-2013 12:56 PM

My Dad alway pre-baked large pieces of meat in the roaster oven (which is kinda like an foil wrap in a way) prior to slapping them on his grill for 1-2 hours of smoking. They always got a nice "bark" on them, cooked evenly (inside out) and were very tender as well. I guess it's sorta the same principle in reverse. That's how I've always BBQ'd ever since.

Charski 04-04-2013 02:55 PM

That makes sense too - and I plan a new method this year, I'm going to sous vide the meat FIRST and then smoke it, at least the bigger stuff like shoulder and brisket. Can't wait to see how THAT turns out! :)

buttoni 04-04-2013 06:02 PM

I'll be interested to hear how that works, too, Car. I've not gotten interested in sous vide, but folks who have one really seem to like what it does for food. My tiny galley kitchen just can't handle any more appliances. :(

Charski 04-04-2013 06:49 PM

Peggy, you don't need another appliance - all you need is the Dorkfoods sous vide probe and something you already own, like a non-digital crockpot or roaster oven! I never wanted the sous vide oven either, my kitchen is the world's worst "butt bumper" and NO room for other stuff - but when not in use, I simply store the DF probe inside the roaster oven and all is well til next time! :)

buttoni 04-05-2013 01:08 PM

Hmmmmmm. I'll have to pursue this cooking method one day then.

drjlocarb 04-06-2013 01:53 PM

I have spent the last 3 days at this site. What a great find.

Now I NEED to order the Smokenator!

rosethorns 04-06-2013 03:10 PM

I had to leave my smoker with a friend now I want a new one.

christyjo 04-06-2013 08:38 PM

We got DH a Bradley for Father's Day (read I got me a smoker) as he had wanted one for a long time. Pulled pork, brisket, chicken, veggies, potatoes, etc. are wonderful. Smoked goodness for anytime, fresh or frozen. Love the smoked stuff.

christyjo

and it doesn't require valuable kitchen space!