Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Two suggestions I need help with... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/801053-two-suggestions-i-need-help.html)

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 02:40 PM

Two suggestions I need help with...

One is the Cream Cheese Clouds. I LOOOVE cream cheese so I figured this would work. So I have a blender. Would a blender work to mix the cream cheese and butter? Also, what kind of variations have you guys tried? I do have cocoa and vanilla extract.

I am trying to make my own "Frappaccinos" as well. Yesterday morning I did 8 oz of Almond milk, about 1/4 cup of heavy cream, sugar free hershey's syprup, unsweetened cocoa, instant coffee grinds and splenda.

I tried it without the cocoa and splenda and for some weird reason, the taste was super bitter! So I added the cocoa and splenda and it was more palatable but not great. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to make a pretty good "Mocha frap"?
Thank you guys!

Mistizoom 04-02-2013 03:00 PM

Do you like the sugar free hershey's syrup? I think it is ok but it may have given the frappe a weird taste. Maybe leave that out? Or try some Monin or similar chocolate syrup instead (won't be thick but it would add flavor and sweetness). I've also heard that splenda alone is not great for sweetening chocolate, though I am not sure why it wouldn't be ok in a mocha. But you might try other/additional sweetners as well.

cfine 04-02-2013 03:03 PM

I would leave out the Hershey's, and use erythritol and liquid stevia for the sweetener.

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 03:16 PM

I have EZsweets. For some reason it is bitter to me. I tried it in an Iced Americano with half and half. And I only took likke two swigs and I couldnt drink the rest. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow with my frap. Do you guys noticed liquid splenda is bitter too? I like the splenda packets a lot better, which is surprising because people rave about EZ sweets.

I do like the Hershey's sugar free syrup? I am wondering why it made the frap bitter. I am thinking of ommitting the almond milk and upping the heavy cream and then just using water in addition. What do you think?

metqa 04-02-2013 03:53 PM

I think a mixer would be better for the clouds than a blender, but you could try.
I don't drink coffee so I have no suggestion for that.

I had one bottle of Ez-sweetz taste bitter, but all the others I've had have been perfect. Maybe it was just a batch issue.

rosethorns 04-02-2013 04:07 PM

A mixer or fork and your hand. It has to be creamy for the muffins.

Sorry I don't drink coffee either. So I don't know what is bitter.

Everybody has different taste.

Ginaaaaaa 04-02-2013 04:10 PM

Are you using the Splenda with chocolate? I find that Splenda doesn't sweeten things with chocolate it just makes it bitter no matter how much I use.

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 04:27 PM

Hm that's interesting about splenda and chocolate. I'll go out and get another sweetner. Ugh. LOL

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16350912)
I think a mixer would be better for the clouds than a blender, but you could try.
I don't drink coffee so I have no suggestion for that.

I had one bottle of Ez-sweetz taste bitter, but all the others I've had have been perfect. Maybe it was just a batch issue.

Maybe it's a batch issue? I was so hoping to like Ez-sweetz :(

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16350939)
A mixer or fork and your hand. It has to be creamy for the muffins.

Sorry I don't drink coffee either. So I don't know what is bitter.

Everybody has different taste.

I am not making muffins, I making clouds? But Ill try a fork first.

Ginaaaaaa 04-02-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16350970)
Hm that's interesting about splenda and chocolate. I'll go out and get another sweetner. Ugh. LOL

I usually use a couple different sweeteners, for the synergy. You could use Splenda with another sweetener, that's what I do.

tofucheez 04-02-2013 06:01 PM

The bitterness most likely came from the unsweetened cocoa powder.

dizneegirl 04-02-2013 06:40 PM

If you're using too much sweetener, it can taste bitter, too.

tinamanni 04-02-2013 08:07 PM

I will sometimes add Diet Swiss Miss to my coffee to give it a chocolaty taste.

Tweaker Geek 04-02-2013 08:14 PM

I have a mocha sugar free syrup that's good in coffee. I'd use that in place of the hershey's syrup and use something other than splenda if you wanted it sweeter.

SchoolPsych1979 04-02-2013 09:35 PM

Diet swiss! Good idea!
Tweaker. Where did you get mocha syrup?

watcher513 04-03-2013 02:09 AM

Splenda is known to be bitter when it's the only thing used to sweeten something with chocolate or cocoa. That's the reason people use a combination. Say, Splenda and Stevia (one you like, even Stevia can be bitter if too much is used. I like the NuNaturals, but that's me). Or Splenda, Stevia and Erythritol. A combination, not just Splenda.

My vote's on the Splenda being the culprit in this case. When I make a fat bomb, I use cocoa powder, coconut oil, peanut butter and a combination EZ-Sweetz and stevia, to taste. Definitely a combination.

Tweaker Geek 04-03-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16351556)
Diet swiss! Good idea!
Tweaker. Where did you get mocha syrup?

I think I got it at Home Goods. I don't think I can post the brand here. After reading this thread and posting last night I made a cup of coffee with the syrup and heavy cream - yum!

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 09:53 AM

So I found the problem and found the perfect frappaccino. I have to make this a big deal as I was/am a Starbucks addict, having two frappaccinos a day, and not the Lite versions, either. So I had to basically double the amount of Hershey's sugar free syrup because the recipe I got from online only indicated the amount of syrup for half the liquids I was using. So basically I had to double the amount of syrup so that it was the correct ratio. Duh! haha And I also ommitted the almond milk. This is the new recipe and it was delish:

1 cup HWC
1 cup water
4 ice cubes
1 tablespoon instant coffee
2 splenda
4 tlbs sugar free syrup

Way better! Thanks everyone for your input!

Tweaker Geek 04-03-2013 12:45 PM

I'm so glad you found what works for you, SchoolPsyc.

I have made the same basic recipe as you I just don't measure. I just put whatever in my Magic Bullet and blend it up.