Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maryellen
Does anyone out there have palatable low carb bread recipe? Soy flour makes me gag!

I have tried several recipes for bread and they all fall short of even coming close to the real thing Please help, I am diabetic and I really miss toast!
maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
If you are open to having Vital wheat gluten then I have a pretty decent recipe I found online. Made with coconut flour, vital wheat gluten, and flax meal. The bread comes out a bit chewier then "real" bread but I love it toasted. I even played with the recipe to make myself some raisin bread and it was fantastic! It is done in the bread maker. Can also be done in the oven but it requires the rising times and temps like real bread. Not sure if I can share the link and I don't want to take credit for the recipe. If you google search "best low carb bread bread maker recipe" you will find it there. For my raisin bread I halved the flax and replaced it with almond flour. Made it slightly less chewy so I may try to replace all the flax next time with almond flour. Like most fresh breads it is tricky to slice and since the outside doesnt get as crisp as some breads it can be tricky to slice. I freeze the read just enough to make it stiff but not solid, it helps to slice.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maryellen
Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!! @:^)
maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
If you can eat wheat I highly recommend Kevin pa's bread recipes.

Kevin's Bread, Biscuit, Bun & Roll Recipes

Add a tablespoon of sugar when making his bread recipes and you will get a very high rise.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Google Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen. She makes a bread out of almond flour (if you can have it).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I will post one later from "the wheat belly" cookbook. Excellent...I need to go milk me some goats
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
How many grams of carbs per slice are you looking for? I've been making a whole grain bread that I've modified from a recipe on a sticky thread on this site and it comes to a little more than 5 grams per slice. It contains vital wheat gluten, wheat bran and whole wheat pastry flour and I've now solved a problem with it falling during baking and after. It that sounds like what you're looking for I'm happy to post it.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Soy flour makes me gag too ...

I have a great recipe for LC bread that comes out to about 8g carbs per slice and is indistinguishable from its high carb cousins. It can also be customized to whichever variety you prefer: oat, wheat or rye and can be made in a bread machine or by hand. If that would work, I can post it.

RVcook
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Soy flour makes me gag too ...

I have a great recipe for LC bread that comes out to about 8g carbs per slice and is indistinguishable from its high carb cousins. It can also be customized to whichever variety you prefer: oat, wheat or rye and can be made in a bread machine or by hand. If that would work, I can post it.

RVcook
Please post it. TIA
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Here ya go:

3/4+ cup warm water
3 TB oil or soft butter
1 tsp. table salt
1 TB sugar sweetness equivalent
1 1/2 tsp. REAL sugar -OR- 1 tsp. honey
(NOTE: if making rye bread also add 1/2 tsp. molasses and 1 tsp. caraway seeds if desired. I like to grind mine coarsely before adding).

1 C. whole wheat pastry flour -OR- 1 C. oat flour -OR- 1 C. dark rye flour (pick one)
1/2 C. regular all purpose or regular whole wheat flour (I use unbleached white flour)
1/3 C. vital wheat gluten
1/3 C. oat bran (for oat and rye bread) -OR- wheat bran (for wheat bread)
1 pkg. bread machine (quick) yeast or scant 1 TB bulk (quick) yeast
Pinch of vitamin C crystals (optional, but helps rise)

1. Place all ingredients into pan of bread machine in order listed by the manufacturer. Program to "dough" cycle or just one knead. Check dough about half way through the knead cycle for stickiness. Dough should be smooth and supple. If it is dry, add a bit more water. If it is sticky, add a bit more flour. Allow to continue kneading and checking, making adjustments until the correct texture is accomplished. Allow to complete the knead cycle.

2. In the meantime, brush a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan with coconut oil and lightly dust with extra flour (or unnecessary if using a non-stick pan). Once the cycle has completed, remove dough, shape and place in pan. Brush top with butter and allow to rise until dough is about 2" above rim of pan, about 30-40 mins. (Once bread is about 1" above pan, preheat the oven to 375.)

3. Bake 25-30 minutes or until internal temp. is 190+ degrees. Remove to rack and allow to cool completely before slicing thinly into 18 slices. Keep sliced bread in freezer for long term storage.

If making by hand: In large bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add oil and other sweeteners. In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. When dough can be gathered, remove from bowl and knead on countertop until smooth and supple.

Once dough is smooth, refer to #2 above.

RVcook

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Thanks to all of you wonderful people,you have really saved me,was wanting bread....
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote