Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   OMG pasta made from chicken! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800920-omg-pasta-made-chicken.html)

lterry913 04-01-2013 07:08 AM

OMG pasta made from chicken!

I gotta try this...Just say on Racheal Rae...Frozen chicken, Ice cubes and egg white powder in a blender til a smooth puree...Put in squeeze bottle and squeeze into boiling water...Makes chicken pasta. This could be a break through recipe for low carbers.

fiddlejen 04-01-2013 07:11 AM

I saw the tail end of that broadcast, did not see how they did it. How did it work? Why the ice cubes?

tea cup 04-01-2013 07:16 AM

I would love to hear more about the chicken noodles.

Annabel Lee 04-01-2013 07:18 AM

Interesting, but how does it tasted?
I wonder what the texture is like?
Were they trying to make a low carb pasta?

lterry913 04-01-2013 07:29 AM

I say go to her web site and watch the video...looks so easy and looks like spaghetti...can't taste bad it's chicken and egg whites after all. The ice and frozen chicken are to keep the mixture cold enough to stand up to the hot water...otherwise it would just melt in I would think...the video is only 1.5 minutes long and the pasta part is right in beginning...first 30 seconds.You will have to check out web site for exact recipe anyway, as I don't know it and they didn't specify amounts on tv.

mamabear6 04-01-2013 09:25 AM

OMG NO WAY!!! I was never a big pasta fan, but it's always nice to have something to put your tomato sauce on!

momacat 04-01-2013 09:26 AM

I also saw the show. The mixture was made in a vitamin not a regular blender. I think that if folks tried to make this dish in a regular blender they would be disappointed.

Dottie 04-01-2013 09:46 AM

They do this on iron chef all the time:)

Perdita 04-01-2013 10:10 AM

I think the professional chefs use transglutaminase ('meat glue'). There's some controversy about it (not health-wise, more political, but too long to get into here), but you can apparently do some cool stuff with it. "Shrimp noodles" is one I saw.

Lots more info here:

Tiny Urban Kitchen: Wylie Dufresne - "Meat Glue Mania"

lowcarbredhead 04-01-2013 11:14 AM

Chicken Spaghetti Noodles

Anyone just see on Rachel Ray the Chicken Pasta? Recipes to "fool" your guests on the April Fool's show. He took frozen chicken breast chunks and put them in a food processor or blender with egg white powder and some ice and made a paste. He then put the emulsion into a squirt bottle and squirted swirls into hot water in a pot. He then raised the temperature of the water and finished cooking the "pasta".
Low carb, high protein, gluten free. Interesting.

CarolynF 04-01-2013 01:07 PM

I think you could crush your ice before adding it if you don't have a powerful blender. I have an ice crusher, but my blender isn't a vitamix..I got the stuff..Need to try it soon..
Not tonight, but maybe tomorrow..

Waiting for our expert chefs here..I know that Charski has a Vitamix....:)

CarolynF 04-01-2013 02:12 PM

Okay, I did it..Crushed the ice and mixed it up in my Bullet. The hardest part was squeezing it out..I do think that a pastry bag with a small tip (or plastic bag with a cut corner) would work just fine.

It was good, but needed salt. Of course, you could add the salt after you cooked it.

I did get some strings, then my squeeze bottle wouldn't squeeze anything out, so I think plan B is in order..

I got a pastry squeeze bottle..Maybe the ketchup one would work better although you might have to have the whole thing full of chicken to have it work.

DiggingDogFarm 04-01-2013 05:40 PM

I definitely have to try this!!!

~Martin

rosethorns 04-01-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16348107)
They do this on iron chef all the time:)

Yes they do . I love what they can do. I wish they would do an Iron Chef LC.

greybb1 04-01-2013 07:50 PM

It sounds like ground up boiled chicken to me, just something that looks like pasta but isn't. I'll pass on this one.

Strawberry 04-01-2013 09:38 PM

Interesting!

When I started reading this... my first thought was "this sounds like something Cleochatra would dream up!" LOL

I'm off to try to find it on Rachael Ray's website.

Carolyn... can you give us more description of how it turned out? Is it something you would make again? Serve to family?

tulipsandroses 04-02-2013 08:19 AM

Sounds interesting. Might give it a try later this week.

CarolynF 04-02-2013 10:17 AM

Stawberry...It is good and once I get the hang of making the "pasta" in a string in the boiling water, it will be great. He makes it look very easy..

tulipsandroses 04-02-2013 10:20 AM

Any particular part of the chicken that is better for this? I have frozen thighs and boobs.

CarolynF 04-02-2013 10:21 AM

Chicken breasts, chopped up in nickel/quarter sized chunks..It is best if you watch the video on Rachel's show..I believe it was Monday's show..

Strawberry 04-02-2013 11:00 AM

Hint: the name of the dish on Rachael Ray's website using the chicken-pasta is "Rocco DiSpirito's Pasta al Pomodoro" from the Monday April 1 show.

They give you NO clue in the title that the pasta is made from chicken, and I was clicking around forever trying to find the recipe!

Perdita 04-02-2013 12:01 PM

I didn't realize it, but Food Network actually has a recipe for shrimp noodles using the 'meat glue' I mentioned above. I wonder if the egg whites in RRs version are actually just taking the place of the transglutaminase.

Shrimp Noodles, Smoked Yogurt, Nori Powder Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

EllaP 04-02-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita (Post 16350633)
I didn't realize it, but Food Network actually has a recipe for shrimp noodles using the 'meat glue' I mentioned above. I wonder if the egg whites in RRs version are actually just taking the place of the transglutaminase.

Shrimp Noodles, Smoked Yogurt, Nori Powder Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Along the same idea, there's also this modernist recipe using Methocel additive to create mushroom noodles. This one is done at the table, as the preparation stays liquid when cool and when squirted into hot soup broth at the table by the diner, it cooks into noodles. Methocel A4C Instant Mushroom Noodles - Modernist Cooking Made Easy

I may have to try the chicken version with the egg whites.

Deb34 04-05-2013 01:49 PM

would baby food chicken with egg whites work? then you wouldn't have to ruin a blender.

baby food chicken is a small amount to play around with anyway.

greybb1 04-05-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb34 (Post 16356880)
would baby food chicken with egg whites work? then you wouldn't have to ruin a blender.

baby food chicken is a small amount to play around with anyway.

That's just gross. :hyst:

Deb34 04-05-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16356893)
That's just gross. :hyst:

chicken/eggwhite 'pasta' is gross.

CarolynF 04-05-2013 02:39 PM

Deb..I thought of baby food, too..Hey, it might work, but you would have to use a lot of it, I think.

lterry913 04-06-2013 08:31 AM

These do taste like chicken after cooked so I would probably use with an alfredo type or mushroom sauce...or they would be great in chicken soup.

Not sure if I would like with marinara.

But beef noodles made this way could be interesting with marinara.

PeacefulPaisley 01-11-2014 02:17 PM

Here is the video and the recipe for making this pasta using just chicken, egg white powder and ice cubes. I have not tried it yet but I am going to make it for dinner tonight. This is another wonderful Rocco DiSpirito (celebrity chef) recipe. He has lost a ton of weight himself and he has some new cookbooks showing what ingredients to use as substitutes to create low carb and high protein meals and snacks and desserts.

google: rachaelrayshow Rocco DiSpirito's Pasta al Pomodoro

I am really excited to try these noodles with my pasta recipes. I'm looking forward to trying them in soup too.

sherrymyra 01-11-2014 07:34 PM

I bet that would be good as chicken soup noodles if nothing else.