Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   what to do with cod (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800773-what-do-cod.html)

Patience 03-31-2013 10:58 AM

what to do with cod

Can someone help me with some creative ways to prepare an abundant amount of pacific cod fish in my freezer. Not the best cook . . . so favor me with simple (and tasty). I ususally bake or use in winter soups, but with warmer weather I need inspiration . . . LC of course.

Chocolate Rose 03-31-2013 02:03 PM

We liked these. I used cod. The recipe is from the gourmet girl blog:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven Fried Fish Sticks

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish & Seafood Low Carb
Quick & Easy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
About 1 pound of firm white fish (like haddock or halibut) -- cut into 1" sticks
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon Celtic salt or sea salt (or to taste)
Few good grinds of freshly ground black pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Couple dashes of cayenne -- optional
1 teaspoon dried parsley -- rubbed between your palms until powdered
Olive oil -- to brush fish sticks and pan with

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a foil lined cookie sheet with about one tablespoon or so of olive oil (I use Reynolds non-stick foil). In a shallow bowl, mix almond flour, coconut, and the remaining spices and seasonings and mix well. Place fish sticks on a large plate or cutting board and brush with olive oil; turn over and brush the other side with oil too. Roll the fish sticks, one at a time in the breading/coating mix until completely coated. Lay fish sticks about 1 inch apart on the oiled cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake about 10-12 minutes; flip over and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown and sizzling. If desired, run briefly under the broiler to brown further. Be careful not to overcook the fish sticks.

Here's one I plan on trying. It's from the Keto Cook blog:

Cod Bites

Recipe By :
Quick & Easy

20 g cod -- cooked and flaked
3 g coconut flour
1 g baking powder
1/2 g baking soda
salt/pepper/seasonings
10 g raw egg mixed well
17 g Hellmann’s mayonnaise
14 1/2 g olive oil

Makes one 297 calorie serving
6.27g protein
1.11g carbohydrate
4.02:1 ratio

In a small bowl, sprinkle the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and seasonings over the cooked cod. Use a small spatula to break the cod into very small shreds and distribute the dry ingredients. The cod should look very dry and “sandy” when you are finished.

Add the remaining wet ingredients to the cod and stir until everything is well combined.

You can bake or pan fry the bites. Baking is better for large batches or mass production. Pan frying is quicker and will give a slightly crunchier exterior.

For baking: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drop small bite size dollops of the cod mixture onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes.

For frying: Drop nugget size dollops onto a hot non-stick pan. Cook until the edges look dry and the nuggets have puffed up slightly. Use a silicone spatula to flip and cook the other side. They will only take 1-3 minutes to cook.

Here's another one that could be done with cod. It's one I plan to try from the 24/7 Low Carb Diner:

Tilapia Tots

Recipe By :
Quick & Easy

2 tilapia fillets OR other mild white fish
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt

Bake the fish fillets until they flake with a fork at the thickest point. Place fillets in a medium bowl and flake. Let cool 5 minutes before stirring in the eggs. Add the cheese to this mixture. In a small bowl, combine almond meal, baking powder, lemon pepper, garlic powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir. Use a scoop to place the fish mixture into the cavities of a cake pop maker. Bake for 5 minutes. If pan frying, melt some coconut oil in a skillet until hot. Use a scoop to place about 2 tablespoons of mixture onto the hot pan. Smooth the edges with a spoon. Fry until golden on both sides and set in the center. Makes 18 tots. To serve 4, these have 201 calories and 6 carbs. 21 g protein and 11 g fat.

Patience 04-01-2013 05:56 AM

thanks so much chocorose, those sound great.
I think I have all the ingredient on hand, too.
Just bought some coco flour for the salmon patty recipe, so I should be good to go. Not sure which I will try first.

marieze 04-01-2013 08:16 AM

I typically put some olive oil in a baking dish, put the fish in with olive oil on it, season with cajun seasoning and bake at 350 till done and/or add some salsa like pace picante over the cajun seasoning and bake....absolutely delicious!

Kateee 04-01-2013 08:45 AM

Read this on LCF's

I coat the fish with mayo, then press it into crushed Old Bay seasoned BBQ Pork Rinds. Place on parchment paper sprayed with olive oil, and bake. You can also fry instead of baking.

I do the same with chicken tenders :)

Patience 04-01-2013 08:51 AM

Thanks Marieze and Kateee, these sound like winners, too. I really appreciate simple recipes because I can become overwhelmed by a long list of ingredients and it becomes another life's choires.

I know I have a tendency to overcook cod . . . I know if depends on thickness and stuff, but would 20 minutes in a 350 oven be about right.

marieze 04-01-2013 09:34 AM

20 minutes to 30 minutes.....just open the oven door, grab your forkk and see if you can flake it.....you'll know! Good luck....you can season it any way you like...if on olive oil it can get a little crispy which is delish....yum! Let us know what you end up doing and how it came out!

Alcmene 04-01-2013 09:40 AM

Hi

I too got a whole loads of reduced cod today at the supermarket.

I was thinking of making fish meatballs!

Dottie 04-01-2013 10:48 AM

This works with any mild white fish:
Can of diced tomatoes and a tablespoon of capers (or chop up about 10 green olives), pinch of crushed pepper flakes, little garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer then snuggle the fish down into it, cover and simmer 5-6 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
I usually add a squeeze of lemon when serving.

*If you like sweet and sour: add a packet of sweetener to the tomato sauce at the start, then at the end stir in 1-2T vinegar to the sauce and spoon over the fish.

Yaz 04-01-2013 06:48 PM

Fry up a few slices of pork belly or thick bacon and when there is lots of grease in the pan toss in the cod and fry until cooked. You could add onions too! :)

Jakelilydad 04-01-2013 09:42 PM

With warmer weather coming around (supposedly!), you might think of making a fish salad. Cook your fish in the oven and let cool, then break apart into the natural flakes. Mix with mayo, perhaps some diced onion and/or diced pickles. If you like curry, you could add curry powder to it, too.

Patience 04-02-2013 06:37 PM

I'll probably not get to this until the weekend, but promise to report back.
It's going to be challenge to decide what recipe to use first. Good thing I do have a lot of cod. Thanks everyone!